1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Upgrading GPU for Core2Quad 6600 processor system?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Christian Militzer, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Christian Militzer

Christian Militzer
    Premium Member

Hey guys,

My current pc is getting quite old and I want to upgrade it. Due to finances, I would like to upgrade my gpu first and after a while the cpu, board and ram. My current System is:

Intel q6600 quad core
    Nvidea 8800 gt oc
    MSI P965 Neo-F V2 board
    6 gb ram

I would like to change to a r9 380. Would this even be possible with my board? Dont know how the pcie has changed over the years. Would it make sense, to upgrade? I would like to play rf2 at medium settings fluently and maybe dirt rally.

Thanks
    Christian

2. Hi I'm hoping u can hel me I am now to this I'm just about to by a 16gb memory 1tb hard drive & 4gb graphics And six core processor pc Will that be ok or not thx michael

3. Slalom823

Slalom823
    RDTCC S10 Champion Premium Member

I have the same CPU and had a 7800gt and upgrading to a used gtx460 made a nice improvement. In my case it was worth it.

Of course depending on how much you want to upgrade eventually there will be a point of diminishing returns. I will want to upgrade in a year or two and I may consider getting a nice gpu and keeping the CPU or possibly overclocking the CPU, or if need be a new CPU or computer.

4. Christian Militzer

Christian Militzer
    Premium Member

Thank. In the meantime I made up my mind and ordered also a new processor, mobo and ram - so case closed :-D