United States & Canada

Updated with the 1/18 date. I am curious to hear what do you all think about that idea? (read all the details)

Eric what are you talking about here? I did not see a 1/18 date with a race??

As far as requests, has Pacific Raceways (used to be called Seattle International Raceway) ever been converted? I'd love to drive on that track and make it a mandatory RWD event...

Also, if we're doing wet events, I'd love to even the field out and require everyone to run a RWD car as well to make it extra fun. FWD cars are too easy to drive in the wet IMO. :dance2:

Is there a Montreal track mod out there, Eric?

It's a cool track with always lots of action. Besides the F1s that I saw there last summer, I saw the FBMWs live and it was a nice race. Very close action.

If available, I think it would be fun.

Ian

i once found Montreal for GTR-evo but i don't know if its a legal convertion so i'll have to found it before we can use it.

Weight penalties - good idea? Other suggestions?

Eric Kaczmarek said:
Niklas,

Thanks for you input!!!!

Out of all the people that posted so far I thought you would be the most interested in weight penalties to give you a little more competition:laugh2:

Hehe i actually really hate the idea of weights penalties. I think it goes against the principal of racing to make the faster drivers slower by messing up thier cars. Give them other penalties instead. I would much more like an idea of grid position penalties or forced drive through or something like that instead. Weight penalties makes the car very different och wierd and you can't practise it offline. It's not fun to drive it and there are imo opinion better ways to even things out on track and increse overtaking and track action. My primary goal is not to win but to have fun and with weight penalties you take away alot of the fun but with qualify and/or forced drive through you are instead adding fun and at the same time giving us a major disadvantage.

Niklas i agree with you on the weight penality, it is more like a big disadvantage more then a penality to me too and i also very much like your idea of a drive thru penality and at the same time it would be easier to manage.

Hehe i actually really hate the idea of weights penalties. I think it goes against the principal of racing to make the faster drivers slower by messing up thier cars. Give them other penalties instead. I would much more like an idea of grid position penalties or forced drive through or something like that instead. Weight penalties makes the car very different och wierd and you can't practise it offline. It's not fun to drive it and there are imo opinion better ways to even things out on track and increse overtaking and track action. My primary goal is not to win but to have fun and with weight penalties you take away alot of the fun but with qualify and/or forced drive through you are instead adding fun and at the same time giving us a major disadvantage.

Niklas I'd like to challenge your thinking a bit. While I can empathize with you that weight penalties may seem to take the fun away, I can personally tell you that they do not. Yes, your laptimes would drop and the car would seem heavier, but the overall idea is to even out the playing field such that you have more competition.

For someone as fast as you, I believe it would be in your best interest to give it a try and see if it's something you are still against. In fact, I'd wager to bet that you'd have more fun being the heavier car and trying to get around people. As it stands right now, you have to slow down to play cat and mouse with others and that can't be challenging? If anything, it's insulting to the slower guys :) This way you can have ultimate bragging rights if you still win with a few extra pounds :)

The last thing I want to do is to participate in an event where we all end up like F1 currently. Close starts, but then by lap two things are so spaced out that if everyone was consistent, they'd finish the way they started. By having closer racing, I think it will only add to the excitement.

Mitchell i will also challenge you to try to drive with a weight penality, its not only makes the car heavier it makes him behave totally different and very much harder to get a good setup. i have tried it and trust me Mitchell if you have a setup made it won't work anymore with more weight added to the car. you also have to think that if you add more weight to the fast guy and made them slower in fact it would give a chance and you might even win a race but then you'll be the one with a weight penality too therefor put things the same way they were before the fast guy got his weight penality. imo the weight penality is not the way to go to even things up.

Niklas I'd like to challenge your thinking a bit. While I can empathize with you that weight penalties may seem to take the fun away, I can personally tell you that they do not. Yes, your laptimes would drop and the car would seem heavier, but the overall idea is to even out the playing field such that you have more competition.

For someone as fast as you, I believe it would be in your best interest to give it a try and see if it's something you are still against. In fact, I'd wager to bet that you'd have more fun being the heavier car and trying to get around people. As it stands right now, you have to slow down to play cat and mouse with others and that can't be challenging? If anything, it's insulting to the slower guys :) This way you can have ultimate bragging rights if you still win with a few extra pounds :)

The last thing I want to do is to participate in an event where we all end up like F1 currently. Close starts, but then by lap two things are so spaced out that if everyone was consistent, they'd finish the way they started. By having closer racing, I think it will only add to the excitement.

Well you are right about one thing. It's much more fun fight like hell in a race and still loose then winning easily and lapping everyone. But i really don't think weight penalties is the way to go. I am willing to try anything of course but i just hate the idea just as much in simracing as in real racing. There are much better ways imo to make it more even and competitive as i mentioned in my previous post. With grid penalties and forced drivethrough or pitstop you can get atleast the same disadvantage considering total time to finish the race. And instead of taking the alot of the fun away by making the drivers hate thier cars you unleash them in thier best mood trying to chase down the other guys far ahead. When it comes to real racing i have allways hated weight penalties because it goes against the nature of racing. And as far as simracing goes i don't think it will be any different. Although i would certainly try it because i still want to race.

Just don't like the idea of screwing up drivers cars just because they are good. When there are other better ways of making it even and exciting and not taking away any of the fun for for anyone. And having fun is what it is all about isn't it...

EDIT: Btw i totally agree with Yves...

Mitchell i will also challenge you to try to drive with a weight penality, its not only makes the car heavier it makes him behave totally different and very much harder to get a good setup. i have tried it and trust me Mitchell if you have a setup made it won't work anymore with more weight added to the car. you also have to think that if you add more weight to the fast guy and made them slower in fact it would give a chance and you might even win a race but then you'll be the one with a weight penality too therefor put things the same way they were before the fast guy got his weight penality. imo the weight penality is not the way to go to even things up.

Hi Yves,

I have already driven with a 150kg weight penalty - which I didn't know about, but it was a joke (on me). The car really didn't feel much different, but I was damned confused why I was consistently 1.2secs slower each lap. The person who did this (which I won't name names LOL) thought that this was extremely humourous.

I'd be fine if I was hit with a weight penalty if it was in the spirit of getting everyone to run together in closer racing.

If anything, I'd just like to try it out for a few trial races and see what happens? :highfive:

Well you are right about one thing. It's much more fun fight like hell in a race and still loose then winning easily and lapping everyone. But i really don't think weight penalties is the way to go. I am willing to try anything of course but i just hate the idea just as much in simracing as in real racing. There are much better ways imo to make it more even and competitive as i mentioned in my previous post. With grid penalties and forced drivethrough or pitstop you can get atleast the same disadvantage considering total time to finish the race. And instead of taking the alot of the fun away by making the drivers hate thier cars you unleash them in thier best mood trying to chase down the other guys far ahead. When it comes to real racing i have allways hated weight penalties because it goes against the nature of racing. And as far as simracing goes i don't think it will be any different. Although i would certainly try it because i still want to race.

Just don't like the idea of screwing up drivers cars just because they are good. When there are other better ways of making it even and exciting and not taking away any of the fun for for anyone. And having fun is what it is all about isn't it...

I'm going to open up a new thread and then I'll respond to this :) Great discussion guys :)

Weight penalties - good idea? Other suggestions?

This is in response to some of the posts in this thread:

http://forum.racedepartment.com/us-...4-north-american-league-gauging-interest.html

I wanted to respond to this quote here:

Ah good, we're getting to some agreement :) It IS about having fun and close racing usually makes that happen. Whether or not a weight penalty is the right way, I'm not sure but here's some observations. If you were to invoke a drive-through, then you'd be fighting with some of the slower guys. If you had a weight penalty, you'd be fighting with some of the fastest guys whom you probably know what their braking points and racing lines are - almost a better idea IMO? I've noticed that when I'm making my way through the field from the back that many drivers are very inconsistent and I end up love tapping them because they surprised me with either the braking point, or the racing line - oops!

So, here's a new question: would you rather race in tight quarters with the lead pack or the back pack? I would guess that if you were to get a drivethrough, that you'd end up mid-pack to the rear-end somewhere and you'd have one hell of a time getting back up to the leaders again?

Again, great discussion and I hope we can all find a common solution. You "aliens" are just too fast LOL.

Hi Yves,

I have already driven with a 300kg weight penalty - which I didn't know about, but it was a joke (on me). The car really didn't feel much different, but I was damned confused why I was consistently 1.2secs slower each lap. The person who did this (which I won't name names LOL) thought that this was extremely humourous.

I'd be fine if I was hit with a weight penalty if it was in the spirit of getting everyone to run together in closer racing.

If anything, I'd just like to try it out for a few trial races and see what happens? :highfive:

LOL try adding 300 kg in a F3000 and i can bet my balls on you'll feel that the car is completly destroyed :D

Btw F3000 total weight is somewhere close to 500 kg. (can't remember exactly) Weight penalties effect it alot more then most other cars like WTCC when it comes to handling...

LOL try adding 300 kg in a F3000 and i can bet my balls on you'll feel that the car is completly destroyed :D

Btw F3000 total weight is somewhere close to 500 kg. (can't remember exactly) Weight penalties effect it alot more then most other cars like WTCC when it comes to handling...

Sorry, I meant 150kG not 300 LOL. I've opened another thread down below in the non-sticky section :) I agree re the F3000 and weight penalty btw.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back