F1 2010 Ugh! Need some Career help with contracts. Sign new one or beat Rival?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi guys --

OK, very new to F1. Started with Virgin.

I was struggling bad early in my career, but with some great setup suggestions from this board, I've managed to land the podium 3 out of the last 5 races, including 2 wins (Montreal, Silverstone).

Now that I am moving up (and after some Virgin trash talking), offers are flying in! I now have offers from the following:

HRT
Sauber
Lotus
Toro Rosso
Virgin (re-sign)

Here's my quandary:

I have already called out Alonso from Ferrari (he was the lowest standing driver at the time, so I targeted him to have a realistic time catching him).

Isn't it true I'll be offered a contract from his team if I beat him? If that's true, why take any of these offers?

I just want to sort out my options, but understand I'll be able to decide after the last race of the season.

Yes, you'll get a contract from Ferrari if you beat Alonso. However, there is a problem with beating your rival: if you beat Alonso and take his seat you won't get a contract offer the next year from Ferrari. Most likely, you'll have to sign with another team.

I'd personally go with Toro Rosso or Sauber if you were to sign a contract with another team.

Also don't wait until the end of the season to make a choice since I think all offers dry up after Suzuka. Definitely don't wait until the end of the season because you'll be stuck with signing with one of the new teams or taking Alonso's seat if you beat him.

Odd. So even if I performed well for Ferrari, I wouldn't be able to stay with them, eh? Kinda strange.

What are the best teams? Clearly this isn't an even playing field, so I'd like a better understanding of who to target. Who is the best, who is terrible?

And yes, Toro Rosso was on my radar as a stepping stone.

Thanks mate!

Even if you win every race the next year they won't sign you if you sign to Ferrari through beating Alonso. It's a bit of an issue that I hope is cleared up for 2011.

Try to ignore the rivalry system. Just choose your rival but don't sign to the team if you beat them. You'll be a lot better off in this game if you build your reputation points and have good results by outperforming your teammate/outdoing team objectives.

Best teams? Of course it's all opinion but in order from the lowest rep needed to highest I like the Lotus/Toro Rosso/Williams/Red Bull.

I don't quite understand this thing about beating your rival, or about offers being withdrawn if you wait until after the last race. I just finished my first season, 5th place in a Williams. After the last race Williams did not offer to renew my contract, and I was baffled. I had to move to Lotus which I didn't want to do.

It doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't make an offer, given that I finished well above my teammate in the championship and won 4 races. Is this going to happen again at the end of my 2nd season with Lotus? How do you stick to one team? I mean what are the criteria? Does something I do piss them off that I don't know about?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 98 14.0%