F1 2013 Tyre Wear: tips and hints

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
I open this thread to talk about tyre wear, how drive to reduce it and get the maximum performance from the tyres.
I want to share my experience with the idea to open an interesting discussion each others.

I play in Legend, with Traction control ON and automatic gears.
I have already did 2 races 100%:

maxresdefault.jpg
Silverstone
Mercedes - Hamilton, Sunny.
Starting with Medium set of tyres from the 3rd place I fight really hard with Vettel to gain the first position and after 8 laps I get it. At lap 13 (3 laps before the teoretical stop) I have to pit for a new set of Hard. No problems with Hard compound, Grojean goes fast and I'm in P2. At lap 35 I pit for Medium tyres (17 laps to go) but after 10 laps I have no more grip..losing position and finish 6th.
Learned lesson: harder compound offers better performance for more time.

433819796_640.jpg
Melboune
Ferrari - Alonso, Sunny (light rain from lap 52)
Starting 4th with SuperSoft tyres. Amazing start: P1 at turn 3, good manage of tyres and I have my first stop at lap 11 on Medium. I win the race with only +0.2 seconds of gap between Rosberg in a fantastic final of the race...stopping 3 times: lap 11,26,41 for Medium compound but I had more performance than in Silverstone and less tyre wear.

Write here your impressions and tips, posting photos and graphics.
This year F1 2013 is really well done, I really love it.
Have a good day :)

Last edited:
Ok, so I just raced Melbourne again.
I managed to do a 2 stop race @ 100% distance, driving a Sauber.
Qualified on pole using Options (1x out lap, 1 x flying lap). got to end of lap12 in race before pitting for Primes. Last 2 laps were a struggle but not impossible. Got to lap 35 before pitting for the final time for another set of Primes which got me to lap 58. Last 2 laps of these two stints were a struggle also. Not so much the final laps. Maybe the fuel light car helped there?
I finished 2nd and had 3 cars right on my gear box for the last few laps (all on options) but managed to keep them behind. Lewis finished almost a lap ahead & I could not get near his lap times.
Most of the AI cars pitted 3 times, a few pitted twice & Button pitted 4 times. I think he crashed with Webber. Webber was only one not to finish.
Now, I could definitely not do this the 1st time round. I was in a Force India then. Both races were done with auto gears but all other driver aids off. AI was set to professional.
I completely change my car set up to favour the tyres. this made my lap times slower at the start but the race as a whole was a lot quicker. I also had a long 1st & 2nd gear as suggested to stop the rears from lighting up so much which made the race more enjoyable for me.
Now I think most of the saving was from the longer gears but I also think having now driven a few hundred laps I have managed to adjust my style somewhat so that I am not so aggressive out of corners.

RACE 100% MONTREAL, CANADA

mald_will_montreal_20111.jpg

Difficulty: Legend

Aids: Taction Control, Auto Gears

Driver: P Maldonado, Williams

Wheather: Dynamic

I will update this after every session to give us some impressions..

FP3

Wether: Rainy

Tyre Used

Pirelli_P_Zero_Medium-WHITE_03 (1).jpg Medium 11 laps(before it starts raining)

Pirelli_Cinturato_Intermediate-GREEN_03.jpg Intermediate 28 laps

pirelli_blue-1.jpg Full Wet 8 laps

Personal Fastest lap

Medium 1:17.662

• tyre age: 4 laps
  • fuel: 25 laps
Inter 1:19.539

• tyre age: 11 laps
  • fuel: 9 laps
Wet 1:22.833

• tyre age: 3 laps
  • fuel: 15 laps
Fastest lap of the session: S Vettel 1:14.647 on SuperSoft tyres

Stints

Medium:

1. 11 laps with 25 laps of fuel. Average lap time 1:18.032. Final degradation 83%
Inter:

1. 3 laps with 9 laps of fuel. Average lap time 1:20.537. Final degradation 96%
  2. 26 laps with 70 laps of fuel. Average lap time 1:21.987. Final degradation 45%
Wet:

1. 8 laps with 15 laps of fuel. Average lap time 1:23.500. Final degradation 90%
SETUP

2013-02-19 - Williams F1 Team - FW35 _2_44.png

2013-02-19 - Williams F1 Team - FW35 _2_44wet.png

Q

Q1 light rain

P6 1:18.487 (+1.162) new set of Intermediate tyres

Q2 light rain

P4 1:17.781 (+0.733) new set of Intermediate tyres

Q3 overcast

P8 1.14.286 (+0.874) new set of SuperSoft tyres

RACE

Top 10 start grid:

S Vettel 1:13.412

N Rosberg +0.221

L Hamilton +0.234

M Webber +0.360

F Alonso +0.471

K Raikkonen +0.537

P Di Resta +0.725

P Maldonado +0.874

F Massa +0.978

R Grojean +1.254

rainy today: Inter tyres for all the cars
PIT STOPS
Lap 23: P7, Stop raining.
Lap 25: P6, Pit for Medium compound, rejoyn P6.
Lap 55: P5, Pit for SuperSoft tyres, rejoyn P8, Perez is +3.1 ahead, I can catch him.
Lap 63: P7, Perez is passed with DRS.
Lap 67: P6, Di Resta is ahead me, he's stopped only once, he's on Medium. I go 3 seconds faster than him, passed easly.
Lap 70: L Hamilton win the race! P Maldonado in P6, it was not a particularly exciting race

Podium
L Hamilton 1h33m23.087s (3 Stops: 24 Medium, 44 SuperSoft, 55 Supersoft)
K Raikkonen +4.350s (2 Stops: 24 Medium, 50 Supersoft)
M Webber +13.201s (2 Stops: 25 SuperSoft, 42 Medium)

Fastest laps:
  • Intermediate 1:20.888 at lap 19
  • Medium 1:17.278 at lap 48
  • SuperSoft 1:15.048 at lap 57
Fastest lap of the race: K Raikkonen 1:14.683 with SuperSoft tyres at lap 64.

The hard work in FP3 to find the right set-up has allowed me to have a good race pushing when needed and making the tires last longer. The tires still had much to give, I would have risked to finish the race with 1 stop, but stopping at lap 55 was a good strategy to gain a position overtaking Perez and Di Resta in the final of the race!

Last edited:
I did a 2 stopper in Melbourne 100% race distance. Traction on medium and Auto gear assists. AI on expert. Qualified first and finished first, 8sec ahead of second place Lewis Hamilton. Here is a link to the video
[medio]4662[/medio]

Last edited:
I did a 2 stopper in Melbourne 100% race distance. Traction on medium and Auto gear assists. AI on expert. Qualified first and finished first, 8sec ahead of second place Lewis Hamilton. Here is a link to the video

I'm doing a 100% career too.. I'm in Williams.
Melbourne: 3 stops
Malaysia: 4 stops (wet tyres are orrible in this game!).

PROBLEM:
Then..
In the selection of the tyres there are 2 set of prime and 1 set of option locked (in every session!) and they are unusable. Yes I know that one of them is for the race, but in race I can't use it...anyone know how to unlock the tyres or increase the number of sets?
Thank you all.

I am very pleased to have opened this thread because it's becoming very useful to all :)

Last edited:
PROBLEM:
Then..
In the selection of the tyres there are 2 set of prime and 1 set of option locked (in every session!) and they are unusable. Yes I know that one of them is for the race, but in race I can't use it...anyone know how to unlock the tyres or increase the number of sets?
Thank you all.

The tyres that are locked (two sets Prime, one set Options) are the tyres used in Practice 1 and Practice 2 on the Friday of a race weekend. Since those sessions are not in this game we can not use those tyres. Ever. You have 4 sets Prime and 4 sets Options for Practice 3, and you lose one set each at the end of Practice 3. To start Quali and for the race you are only allowed 3 sets Options and 3 sets Primes.

All correct except for the one I highlighted. It's actually the opposite.

If you run a low down force setup, the car moves around more in the corners, and you're not able to:
A) Get the power down as early
B) Take as high of a speed as you would with a high DF setup.

The more the car is sliding around in the corners, the quicker it wears out your tyres.

With these Pirelli's, you have to be as smooth as possible on turn in. This is why pad users tend to suffer from a lot more tyre wear than wheel users, because it's much harder to have a smooth steering input with a pad.

I had a really enjoyable 100% race around Korea a couple of days ago, because I was able to make my first stint on the super softs last for 16 laps. And there was still enough grip for another 4-5. But I would have lost too much time.

I've also noticed in this game that fresh rubber makes a massive difference in laptime. Much more than previous games. In that Korean GP I did, I was lapping consistently in the 1:45's on my first stint, then once I had pitted for a fresh set of options, and completed my out lap, my first hot lap gave me a 1:42. Just like real life!

So awesome.

Using KERS seems to increase tyre wear, so if I want to preserve my tyres I avoid using KERS except to defend against a DRS attack. I also do a lot of short shifting when I am running out of grip but try to keep the momentum from doing this, for example a turn normally done in 2nd, with a lot of revs for the exit I will take in 3rd with just enough throttle to get around. This sometimes gets me around the corner faster and with some turns on some circuits it is definitely faster and kinder to tyres to short shift, keep up the momentum and "low rev" it.

Using KERS seems to increase tyre wear, so if I want to preserve my tyres I avoid using KERS except to defend against a DRS attack. I also do a lot of short shifting when I am running out of grip but try to keep the momentum from doing this, for example a turn normally done in 2nd, with a lot of revs for the exit I will take in 3rd with just enough throttle to get around. This sometimes gets me around the corner faster and with some turns on some circuits it is definitely faster and kinder to tyres to short shift, keep up the momentum and "low rev" it.

How have you tested this KERS theory? And when do you usually use KERS?

I'm limiting my KERS use to gears 3-5. Last year i would use it in 2nd gear as well, but this year the grip of the tyres just isn't there in that low a gear so using KERS in 2nd seems to spin the tyres more times than not.

KERS will only degrade your tyres if you deploy it before you've gained sufficient traction out of a slow corner. If you have 100% traction (which usually occurs at about late 2nd gear to 3rd gear) then no, KERS does not wear your tyres out

How have you tested this KERS theory? And when do you usually use KERS?

I'm limiting my KERS use to gears 3-5. Last year i would use it in 2nd gear as well, but this year the grip of the tyres just isn't there in that low a gear so using KERS in 2nd seems to spin the tyres more times than not.

I haven't tested it, just the entirely subjective impression I gained from the 2012 game, although I just completed a 100% career race at Nurburgring and my tyres lasted longer for the final 20 laps when I limited KERS and still had life in them at the end, with the Hamilton AI falling back towards the end after bugging me all the way through. Previous set were like driving on ice just before I pitted (used KERS a lot, including start of the pit straight). I could be absoloutely wrong of course. Where I use them depends on the circuit, but quite often I use saved charge at the final turn into the pit straight, which means 2nd 3rd - Silverstone for example.

Has anyone tested KERS to see if they increase tyre wear generally?

I'll add it to the loooooong list of things i want to test with this new game :)
Sometimes i have more fun testing than racing.
#geek

I just did a small test during career FP at Korea. First of all I had to complete a 5 lap, full fuel test on primes. Did not use KERS, tyres registered 99% at the end of this.

So, I then did 5 laps on fresh primes, 10 laps fuel, rich mix, no KERS. Tyres registered 88% at the end of this. Followed this with 5 laps, same conditions, fresh tyres but using KERS only in 4th gear or higher. Tyres registered 87% at the end of this. Race setting was 25%.

Maybe the big difference between full fuel and ten laps fuel is perhaps that I was going much slower on full fuel - unless the R&D test impacted on it? Can't preserve tyres like that on full fuel in a race.

Hardly a reliable test, 5 laps, but (1%, neither here nor there difference) seems to confirm that KERS does not cause tyre wear if used when good traction is attained. Next test will involve using KERS on turn exits, 2nd and 3rd gears.

Last edited:
This setup is really smooth, fast and also saves the tires fairly.
Driven with wheel.
Aero: 3/3
Balance: 5/7
Suspension: 3/3 and 9/9

Camber and toes are default, they take too much out of tires.
On tracks that aren't as hard on tires, take the cambers 1-3 clicks to the left and toe 1-3 clicks to the right.

i think it depends 90% on the controller you have...if you have a wheel then there is no problem with tyre ware ,but if you have a keyboard then you have a big problem with career races..i tired to reduce the kers ,it saved 1% from the tyre where which is nothing,i guess it might be better with manual gears but i do not know how with a keyboard .i literally have my hands full

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 261 13.6%