Tyre texture changing in pits

Kyle Puttifer

@Simberia
In F1WCP 2009/2010 you can change your tyres in the pits (as in all mods) but it also changes the texture of the tyre according to the compound. For example, option tyres have the well-known green stripe, and this is changed in a pitstop if you were on hard tyres.

Is it possible to replicate this in RFT 2010? I prefer the RFT 2010 mod to WCP 2010, so this would be a cool feature to have.

It is not complicated guys.

Okay first things - I experimented with loads of different alternatives and really struggled, drove me up the wall a million times, turned out we had a fault in our tyre files that stopped me another million times. Once that was negotiated then it was plain sailing.

First off your tyre GMT's should have a material name of TREAD

You want 5 materials although you may not need that many. You need to have the animation set to EVENT in simed. 0,1,2,3,4,5 is the animation.

In our case we had the base graphic VE_Tyre.dds - this one was a soft tyre with the painting on it. The next one was VE_Tyre00.dds which was a duplicate of the previous. Next tyre is our hard tyre. This one has no stripe or anything and is VE_Tyre01.dds, the next one in our case is teh WET tyre which we called VE_TYRE02.dds. Now what I did was create all 5 graphics and painted a number on the side for testing so I could see which one was being called. I only use the the first 3 files therefore my animation could be 0,1,2 but to be on the safe side I put all of them in.

Anyway the secret to the whole thing is quite obvious now.... its the same as in F1Challenge. The tyre naming. In your tyre file you have [COMPOUND] like this below

[COMPOUND]
Name="Soft Compound"

That is the secret - I would presume the tyre compounds are hard coded and it will look for those. In our case our Hard tyre is called Dunlop Control - well I have to call it "Intermediate Compound", my Dunlop Sprints are now called "Soft Compound". When I used Hard Compound it continued to use the tyre with the graphic which indicates our soft tyre. Maybe you could experiment here but I think you'll find that the Dry Tyres in the old F1C had the same graphic and then the Intermediates a different one the Wets a different one again.

Your choices for all these compounds will be
Name="Hard Compound"
Name="Soft Compound"
Name="Intermediate Compound"
Name="Wet Compound"
Name="Monsoon Compound"

The only other thing I did was made a slight change to the HDV file

TireCompoundSetting=0 // This was what I had
FrontTireCompoundSetting=0 // This is what I added, not sure if it was needed or not.
RearTireCompoundSetting=0 // And this.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Jeremy
FlashQld - FVRFactor.com

The SimEd part and texture renaming is complicated for me as I am not good with this software.
Can you explain those parts in more detail with less techy language?
The problem with the texture part is what textures to rename.
RFT 2010.
I've only got as far as extracting the TIRES.MAS file and now I'm stuck.

Thank you so much for that info

That is the secret - I would presume the tyre compounds are hard coded and it will look for those. In our case our Hard tyre is called Dunlop Control - well I have to call it "Intermediate Compound", my Dunlop Sprints are now called "Soft Compound". When I used Hard Compound it continued to use the tyre with the graphic which indicates our soft tyre. Maybe you could experiment here but I think you'll find that the Dry Tyres in the old F1C had the same graphic and then the Intermediates a different one the Wets a different one again.

This was the part that that lost me when trying it before. I didnt realise that the soft and hard tyre used the same texture. I only took me about 20mins to get it working this time using the same naming as you did. However I do miss the blurred textures, but its worth it.

Now racers will be able to tell which tyres others are using :)

I'm at the football at the mOment but when I get home I'll make it easier. If u r converting another mod then you will have to make textures. Funny though we've had rf for 5 years and we've all only just worked it out after 5 years

I've tried changing the material name from side to tread using SimEd but when I click OK it gives me an error saying "Material must be unique"
??
The reason this is happening is you have a material already in there called TREAD. So what you possibly need to do is find out which files have it and then open the others and change. In other words if the tyre is called TREAD and is mapped to the TREAD but your tyre wall is called SIDE then you will have a problem. Maybe rename your TREAD to TREADT and then rename all your SIDES to TREAD.

So, I have Soft, Hard, Intermediate (wet) and extreme wet. Soft would be _ and _00, Hard is _01. What number would the inters and wets take?

Also, I changed all of the compound names to the appropriate ones listed above, but in game I cannot choose Soft, Intermediate (hard) etc. All I have is prime or option. I searched through the TBCs and the HDV, but found nothing relating to these. What is going on?

This solution sorts out the side of the tyre. F1 wet tyres have grooves on them while drys are slick. I have the textures. How would I go about doing this?

EDIT: Done exactly as you said and it still won't work. I have attached the modified files in case you may want to take a look.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6XQ45J3B
Flash, the link I sent you previously does work, Megaupload is just temperamental with new files. Just drop these new ones in the appropriate place.

Kyle, the _ texture is automatically thrown away, since it uses the animated files. 00 is hard and soft, 01 is intermediate. I'd guess 02 is wet, and 03 is monsoon.

If you arent seeing the right names of the compounds in the setup, than you have edited the wrong .tbc file. There maybe more than 1 .tbc file per mod/car.

@Kevo -
There are two tbc files: One for the two dry tyres, and one for the two wets (inter and extreme).
@Flash -
Inside the mas file are the sidewall textures for the soft (yellow w/ silver stripe), hard (silver), inter (blue) and extreme wet (orange).

At present the problem you have is your tyre has its limitations. Because your tread pattern and sidewall are mapped seperately, meaning you have two sets of files we need to work with. I can see why you have done that. I'm still playing with it in between mowing and cooking. I'm a desperate single father heheheheh. Guaranteed a positive answer tomorrow though, as I am heading out tonight in a few minutes, may send you back a few files. We will fix this issue.

I'm at the football at the mOment but when I get home I'll make it easier. If u r converting another mod then you will have to make textures. Funny though we've had rf for 5 years and we've all only just worked it out after 5 years

haha.... That's what rF is all about. Even though it's nearly 6 years old it's still new because of people like you guy's findind new thinks to add to it. rF is nothing like it's original release today and still growing.

Great work guy's. At least some of us are willing to help each other and share what they learn. Cheers Flash.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back