Tyre temperatures

Tim Ling

It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work
I get the feeling there may not be a precise answer to this, but here goes.

The setup guide recommends tyre temps of 90-110 deg. Should I put air in to increase the temp, or take it out? And how many....whatsits...equal 1psi?

I am trying to understand how setups work, lets just say I'm a little, um, special, and need extra help ;)

• Lu Chan

* Lower pressure = Higher temperature
* Higher pressure = Lower temperature
* Higher spring rates equates to higher temperatures ( tires get "pushed" to the ground)
* More toe in (a greater - value) in the front tires causes higher temperatures
* More toe out (a greater + value) in the rear tires causes higher temperatures
* The Anti roll bar is also used for equalizing the temperatures across a set of wheels
* Higher tire pressure will get you a more responsive setup, but to much and you'll lose grip - lower pressure works the other way around
* The temperature spread across a tire should be between 5-10 degrees C (use camber to adjust temperature)
* Optimal tire pressure is somewhere around 180 psi
* The tires shouldn't get warmer than 100 c (if you want them to last a race)

* Many books have been written that covers this in great length...
* Many race technicians and race drivers never get to grips (no pun intended) with the physics of tires...
:thumb:
Kind regards,
Karl
this is good information for me. i'll copy & save it.
thx Karl.

Interesting reading all, Looks like I'm not too far from the truth either in my setups. I just think I have to do different setups on each side of the car.
Then my question, do I have to change the camber settins on each side aswell, or am I making it more difficult by doing that?
The toe in setings, I guess must be set exactly the same otherwise the stability must be effected.

and don't forget Castor to guys, this allows you to decrease camber by the more castor you use, when the tire is worked/loaded up, it give more camber so to speak... why reduce camber? well it'll give you better braking on the front and better power transfer too on FWD, only some cars allow castor on the rear...

Ye, therefore i use high caster (13-14) together with high camber (around -4,6-4,8 at front) for qualy set, to get the most out of the tyres. :) Of course race setup should be always with lower camber, the caster i do not touch to decrease tyre wear, since it effects other stability behaviour also for the car during cornering.

... on the same topic and not meaning to hijack, but what temps do wet tyres run at?

Seems like somewhere in the 60's works and is all I can get outta the darn things on a mini no matter what I do ... pressures still seem OK at 180kpa though.

• Mikkow

The only real way I've found to keep heat in the rainy front tires is to stress them by inducing some understeer when cornering. This means turning the wheel beyond the point of turning. Giving it some more throttle also helps. It'll make the tires squeal but at least they'll gain/keep temperature.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back