F1 2010 Tyre Strategy in 100% races

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
Race: 100% Montreal. Expert Mode but Auto.
Fresh from some relative success with a prime-option tyre strategy in 50% races I wanted to try it in 100%.
Feeling confident (Quali pace 1.13.8) and looking for an exciting race with big challenge and lots of overtaking I skipped qualifying and started 24th on the grid in the Red Bull on Primes
Opening couple of laps saw me make it to about P17. From there on is was slow attrition. Each overtake took consistent fast lapping to get in range.
To catch and pass P8 (Schumacher) and P7 (Rosberg) each about 5 sec apart took about 10 laps each with gains only occurring with good laps. Smallest error and they would pull away by 1 sec.
P1 was pulling a lead and had 30 sec by 1/2 race distance.
48 laps on Primes felt an eternity as I tried to catch and pass the Legend AI.

Pit stop saw me rejoin in 9th and now on options I caught and pass P8 but that was it.
On the last lap however Rosberg had an accident with a lapped car and handed me P7.

After the race I did a quick start and 10 laps on options to compare.
at lap 10 I was in P3 +18 sec to P1.

Observations and conclusions
  • AI pace and behaviour was consistent. They also made mistakes!
  • Primes are a tough start when in 100% as the option runners have 22-25 laps. By this time most are more than a pit stop ahead so you won't jump them in the pits. Unlike 50% where with (quali) worn options most are pitting at say lap 9 or so.
  • 48 laps on primes is a long time.
  • Will try 2 stop: Options, Options, Primes next time. (or do quali but where's the fun in that?)
  • 100% races are more interesting strategically

Mod Edit: Part 2 can be found here

Best indications that I know of for switch to dry tyres are:
1) lap times-if you are within say 2-3 sec of dry PB.
2) Spray-look to rear and see if spray is becoming intermittent of stopped
3) Engineer may report "...." has fitted prime /option tyres"

Only occasional issue there Tom is that if it stays wet they will (eventually) turn yellow as they are worn. Possibly a hybrid approach IE use all the things we mentioned.

I've never seen the game go from heavy rain to light rain and stay there though. This only works at the start and in heavy rain and won't work in the middle of the race there. Also, wet tyres don't wear out in heavy rain because of all the puddles.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back