Tyre squeal in Assetto Corsa: what does it mean?

When I'm driving in Assetto Corsa, I assume that a bit of noise from the tyres (not quite what you'd call "squeal" -- a bit less than that) means you're braking at maximum grip, or cornering at maximum grip.

Is that right? Or should I ease off the brakes a little when they start to make noise?

I'm not sure about the sound, I hear it quite often when I push the car in qualy. But I would judge more by the feeling of the car through FFB and visual input, if you are making the car slide or lose grip, even for just a short moment, you are not driving fast. Smooth without loss of grip is fast.
This is my personal opinion and experience.

Save a replay of that. Then, load the suspension app and see if the bar turns from yellow to red. If it does you are losing grip.
The bar ? Mean this 4 small bar ? I always wonder whats that for ..
hUhpaQg.jpg

By the way mind share how you adjust the front rear camber for each car ?? Is it correct to set just enough negative camber so when the car cornering the outside camber value back or close to "0" ?

Thanks first

Yeah, exactly those four bars.

You've got to look for two things on the camber. First if you have the value you mentioned. Second the temperatures, because at high speed some tires suffer from deformation, overheating the outside while still maintaing full contact on the ground. So you have to keep the zero value and those 3 temp numbers have to be similar. You can look also at the blue-red bar, if it gets red at a small line (something like------//) it means you are overusing one part of the tire, not getting full grip on the rest of the tire.

If it sounded too complicated let me know.;)

I've also noticed you put your toe to zero. I causes massive understeer problems on RWD cars, as under power they tend to toe out at the front and toe in at the rear. Try putting-0.1 at the front and +0.1 at the rear as a standard value.

I've also noticed you put your toe to zero. I causes massive understeer problems on RWD cars, as under power they tend to toe out at the front and toe in at the rear. Try putting-0.1 at the front and +0.1 at the rear as a standard value.
I actually had read lot of setup articles when start to play sim racing game but since i dont have time to play so often (normally few hours after few weeks or didnt play at all in a month) so i almost forget all of them include whats toe are for :D

So -0.1 for the front (toe out) and +0.1 for rear (toe in) yeah ?? Standard toe value for all the RWD cars yeah ?? OK i try to keep that in mind :D

By the way do you have time to analyze my tire temp / grip / camber / toe values if i upload my driving video (BMW M3 GT2@Imola) with suspension on ??

I admit i cant do consistent lap since dont play often & i am like 4s slower than the current WR for the mention combo :whistling:

A little bit of tyre squeal during cornering is okay because it usually means you're on the very limit of grip. Obviously you don't want excessive squealing because that usually means you're having extreme understeer or oversteer.

Under braking you want to press the brake as hard as is possible in order to have minimal tyre slippage and maximum adhesion with the track surface. Anymore than the maximum grip the tyre can provide and your braking distance will increase.

Save a replay of that. Then, load the suspension app and see if the bar turns from yellow to red. If it does you are losing grip.

A little bit of tyre squeal during cornering is okay because it usually means you're on the very limit of grip.
I did an experiment using the suspension app and watching a replay. The results appear conclusive. It seems that whenever there's noise from the tyres, the suspension app indicates red, meaning there's loss of grip.
I tried this with the Mercedes SLS (not the GT3 one), and the Mclaren GT3, both with default tyres, and no ABS.

Ok here it is .. BMW M3 GT2 @ Imola. almost 5s slower than WR.

Thanks
Setup tips:
-Add more pressure - 28 psi on all tires
-negative 3 value (setup screen) on front toe
- 2.6 camber on the front and 1.3 at the rear
-Anti roll bars 7 at front and 3 or 4 at the back
-I have to do some testing to see the ideal suspension settings, as I don't have much experience on that one.

Driving tip:
Don't use the throttle before you are not releasing it again until next corner. You'll be able to brake later with the left front wheel not locking. Also, keep in mind you are not using the whole track on some exits, so you can go faster into the corners.

It seems that whenever there's noise from the tyres, the suspension app indicates red, meaning there's loss of grip.
Yep, but, some loss of grip is okay as it typically means that you're on the very limit of adhesion that the tyre will provide. When you're going around a corner at speed, the tyres are sliding across the surface of the race track.

Excessive sliding and you'll be losing time and speed, whilst damaging your tyres.

Setup tips:
-Add more pressure - 28 psi on all tires
-negative 3 value (setup screen) on front toe
- 2.6 camber on the front and 1.3 at the rear
-Anti roll bars 7 at front and 3 or 4 at the back
-I have to do some testing to see the ideal suspension settings, as I don't have much experience on that one.

Driving tip:
Don't use the throttle before you are not releasing it again until next corner. You'll be able to brake later with the left front wheel not locking. Also, keep in mind you are not using the whole track on some exits, so you can go faster into the corners.
First of all thanks for the setup & driving tips; Will definitely try it when i play again but i like to know how to tell Anti roll bars should be 7 at front ?? Also how to tell tire pressure should set to 28psi ??

And i dont understand this "Don't use the throttle before you are not releasing it again until next corner. You'll be able to brake later with the left front wheel not locking." Totally lose me on this one :D:D:D

Thanks again & take your time to test this combo .. i can wait :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

When I'm driving in Assetto Corsa, I assume that a bit of noise from the tyres (not quite what you'd call "squeal" -- a bit less than that) means you're braking at maximum grip, or cornering at maximum grip.

Is that right? Or should I ease off the brakes a little when they start to make noise?

Tyre squeal audio effects tells you the amount of grip you have.
Kunos Stefano Casillo says he turns up the audio on the surface effects in one of his streams.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 398 40.0%