1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two-stopping Raikkonen takes victory in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Nik Hughes, Mar 17, 2013.

1. View the Post on the Blog
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Fantastic that Lotus has bridged the gap to RedBull and Ferrari and are ready to fight for the title. Great steady race of Kimi.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. what a epic write up and great stuff from Kimi, great overtake he done on Sutil, on the outside, perfectly done!
  4. Sk3ptik0n

Premium Member

Shaping up to be another interesting season. Last year even though Vettel won, there was enough movement to make the season interesting. The worse thing for F1 is to be a one man show. The Vettel show these days. Good to see Kimi back in the top and good to see Ferrari with a car worthy of its name. Also nice to see Massa back in contention.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bram

It will be interesting to see if both the Force India cars can keep up with the pace in the next race as well.

For me the surprise of the weekend for sure. Great to have Sutil back on the grid.

Also great performance and racing of Hamilton. He really tried to race the obvious faster Ferrari's and RBR's. Poor pitstops though as both were above the four seconds I noticed where a team as RBR does the job in 2.7'ish.
  6. What is getting me is all this talk of a dog of a car for McLaren. Jeez, one race in and its doom and gloom.....
  7. Shawdad

PSN ID: Shawdad

Leave him alone! He knows what he's doing! :thumbsup:

Seriously though, not sure if Lotus can hang tough with Ferrari and Red Bull all season, but its fun while it lasts. Both Lotus's in the top ten! Whodathunkit?
  8. Bram

They weren't exactly impressing during the free practice and qualifying sessions either to be honest. It's a bit strange as they have been so fast during the last part of the 2012 season.

What changed during the winter?
  9. One of the drivers? ;)
  10. Evolution of the MP4 27. It is a prototype car, one they have to get to grips with.
  11. During the pre season testing Lotus showed a couple of times just a glimps of what the car is able to do. Lets not forget that last year the car was getting better each race and was the fastest car on the track during the final third of the races.

I had to laugh at the commentators for the BBC as non of them even mentioned Lotus as a possible race winner, only as it got closer to the end of the race did it dawn on them that Kimi was in the best position to win.

Comment of the race, Jenson Button to his pit crew 'We said we'd give it a try and now we know'. No doubt last years car will be at the next race...
  12. I wouldn't call that car an evolotion. It's far more a revolution with a diffrent aerodynamic approche (higher chassis) and push rod front suspension.
    I don't think the basis of the car is wrong but they can't make it work right now and don't untderstand how.
    It reminds me much about the Ferrari at the beginning of 2012.
  13. That's what I meant...thank you.
    Can't see them bringing the MP4 27 back, unless they run both?
  14. Bram

Do the rules allow such a change during the season? Think that the Australian and Malaysian GP's are a joint operation. If rules would allow it there is no way to get all the equipment on site in time. Unless they have it packed already.
  15. That's very tricky desicion. If they still have absolutly no clue what to do after a couple of races it could be an option, but the next question is how fast will the MP4-27 stil be?
    Yes, it was the fastest car last year, but every other team has gained time over the winter and is already producing and developing upgrades for their cars. The developing of the M4-27 stood still since Brasil and has no parts in the pipeline if they would switch back to it. They can't just put their upgrades for this years car on the 27.

If I had to guess I'd say, the stick with the 28. I can''t imagine that they screwed up that bad.
  16. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

apparently, when testing the mclaren at barcelona and perez set fastest time with a very low ride height. the ride height didn't take into account using heavier fuel loads. so later, the car bottomed out. all linked to new suspension system. apparently making changes to the car is more awakward using the new suspension. all sounds a nightmare. wouldn't be surprised if they brought last years car back. i don't get why they made such drastic changes with 1 season before rules change anyway