Tv or Monitor that is the question!

AT The moment i am playing my race sims on a tv 42 inch from a distance of around 2and a half meters, however when i play raceroom sim and many other sims i cant see the full mirror from inside the car and the wing mirrour, by adjusting my seat back i can but it spoils the racing view (cockpit) allot. Their are good wide screen monitors around now that seem to give more picture allowing you to see the mirrors and surrounding slightly better. Today i have also seen a deal for the BENQ XR3501 LED 35 INCH GAMING MONITOR so i was wondering if any of you could share your thoughts on tv vs Monitor when it comes to racing simms , would i be wasting my money on buying a monitor just because i get more width to view and possibly better picture and performance from the monitor , appreciate your time on sharing your thoughts

Thanks

Last edited:
TV's don't compare to a good PC monitor at all. Refresh rate is not fast enough. I have a 34" LG monitor in Ultrawide and I love it. Basically a monitor displays the picture how it should be displayed.

thanks for all this info , i also see many racers with three monitors to get the side view which to me looks quite impressive, with a tv and normal monitor you loose that view just basically getting whats in front do you get that with a ultra wide monitor? the only problem i see with the ultra wide monitors is you need the power to get the full benefit from it.

Thanks

Nice. Do you game at 4k resolution Jim?
You triggered my curiosity... just purchased a 65" 4K HDR TV for our main entertainment room. This wasn't purchased for gaming but I'm wondering what it will take to run games smoothly at 3840x2160. I "think" this is suppose to have one of the lowest responses for a TV but still at 22ms I'm not sure, still quite a bit higher than a good monitor.

(eurogamer.net 11/19/2016)
"Previously we ruled out the KS7000 (known as the KS8000 in the US) owing to a lack of support for game mode running concurrently with the HDR mode, resulting in a mammoth 100ms+ latency during HDR gaming. We're happy to report that this has now been resolved, with class-leading latency at just 22ms."

8,295 is lot of pixels to push around, quite bit more than a typical HD triple screen setup at 6,220. When I get some time I'll have to hook up my PC - i7 @ 4GHz, GTX 1070, 16 GB. I'm running an UltraWide 3440x1440 monitor (4,953 pixels) for gaming. I can run most every sim at MAX but I'm sure that won't happen at 4K if I want to maintain at least 60 FPS.

Where the game supports it yes. I think some games will just be up scaled. A game like battlefield 1 is in 4k and it's a beautiful thing.
What do you mean upscaled... are you talking of console gaming? For a PC connected to a 4K device, you set the resolution - no upscale - 3840x2160 is 3840x2160. If a console, then yes, then you wouldn't be actually running at a 4K resolution.

EDIT: Ok, I guess for the PC you could also set a lower resolution then have the TV upscale. Not a true 4K but could look better - haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
What do you mean upscaled... are you talking of console gaming? For a PC connected to a 4K device, you set the resolution - no upscale - 3840x2160 is 3840x2160. If a console, then yes, then you wouldn't be actually running at a 4K resolution.

EDIT: Ok, I guess for the PC you could also set a lower resolution then have the TV upscale. Not a true 4K but could look better - haven't tried yet.
Yes for console it's upscaled but I set it at 3840x2160 but I meant I'm not sure if all pc games support 4k.

Bored at work right now, so I thought I add something here.
Imho, the best display setup for sim racing are one of three options;
1. VR. Can't wait for the day to just try it in sim racing. But the Rift here in Canada at best buy is a jaw dropping $850 CAD PLUS any computer upgrades needed to run VR. That price range is far from my budget and no where near affordable yet. But appears (haven't tried it, based on video reviews) that VR is thee most immersive way to game.
2. Tripple screen setup. I've only used this setup once. And immersion is pretty impressive! But can be expensive though.
3. Minimum 34inch ultra wide monitor with trackir 5. This is what I have been using for almost half a year now. And it is very immersive during sim racing! No pc upgrades needed, takes some time but easy to setup trackir, and doesn't cost as much as a good used car.

With all three options above, you can set your in game FOV as close as you want for the most realistic driving experience. With trackir, simply have it setup so you can slightly turn your head irl and in game, virtually you'll be able to see your mirrors and beside you. You don't have to sit perfectly still like a rock. Simply adjust the sensitivity to your liking. If feel like a statue while using trackir, or you feel like your eyes are uncomfortably looking at the centre of your screen, but your head is looking away from your display entirely, then you have trackir setup wrong AND you need a bigger display (large ultra wide preferred).

thanks for all this info , i also see many racers with three monitors to get the side view which to me looks quite impressive, with a tv and normal monitor you loose that view just basically getting whats in front do you get that with a ultra wide monitor? the only problem i see with the ultra wide monitors is you need the power to get the full benefit from it.

Thanks
You can use headtracking technology for wider view: TrackIR, OpenTrack or FaceTrack NoIR. I'm using Opentrack with PS3 webcam and 3 leds sensor, all of that costa me around 50 quid but if you have a decent webcam u can have headtracking for free with FaceTrack NoIR app.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back