Tutorial - Beginner's guide to making rFactor AIW

Here's a reposting of the guide to making the AIW file I did that was up on our old RSC forum.

You’ll need to download the AIWCamera editor [rFactorAIWCAMEditor1255.zip]. Go to http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=devcorner where it's listed under:
Waypoint and camera editing tools
* Download v1.255 [zip]
Put the unzipped file [rFactor AIWCAM Editor.exe] in your main rFactor folder and double click it to run rFactor with the editor.

You also need the 'Dev' files folder - this is essential for the AIW editor to work, but for some reason is not included with the editor. It used to be at RSC, but I've put a copy up here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb595c/n/rF_AIW_Editor_DevFiles_rar
Unzip this to your main rFactor folder. It contains two folders:
DEVFILES - the folder needed for the editor to work.
AIW Editor Docs - contains screenshots of the editor plus another guide to using it.

You can also use the AIW CAM Editor by Guitarmaen to fine tune the AI. I didn’t use it myself as I found I could do all I needed using the rFactor editor. Get this from rFactor Central, it’s under Addons\ Mod tools. It doesn’t have to be in the rFactor folder, but you need to edit the rF_AIW_CAM.conf file to point to your rFactor installation.

Cheers,
Chub

Attachments

• laymans guide to aiw.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 5,697
Hi.
I just made my first AIW.
There's one thing that isn't working: In a race session, when the AIs go to the pits, they never leave.
They go in nicely, get repaired, jacked up and down, and then just seat there indefinitly!
For the human player everything is fine.
Any thoughts?

Well..Don't know if the forum still active. I'll ask anyways. I'm running rfactor on windows 8 but it won't load aiwcam editor. Anybody got it running? Thanks you very much.

By the way. Great Tut!!!

Is there a way to get the timer start after the car leaves the pits and drives towards the start line without doing a whole lap first?
If i look at the Targa Florio it would be very demanding to drive 72km before a timed lap starts..

They should be same. If they are not, i'll update them to most recent from ISI.

I can't help any further, i've got it working on first try and haven't really looked at it since.. Hmm.. I could maybe send you my backup copy, all but basic rFactor content like tracks or cars and without rFactor.exe, to avoid legal issues... It's from a working set (currently running on Win7 32bit), and has guitarmans aiw editor already installed as a bonus. For figure 8 tracks, it's pretty much mandatory if you plan to use BTB created AIW base to correct waypoint height on the cross-over point with that editor, it's funky, unpredictable and unlogical but it works. You can also modify dark groove, ie the alpha value with it.

I use that fileset each time i need to install new OS -> install rFactor and overwrite it with my files.It might work, rFactor doesn't really need installer to work anyway, it's semi-portable.. I'm pretty sure one could run it from a thumbdrive..

I need to prune those legal elements out before sharing so ask only if you really need it, that is, try other solutions first.

The last time I used the AIW editor I couldn't start it using Logitech's profiler (I have a G27). It would only start the normal rFactor. I've just discovered the cause. The AIW editor filename has spaces in (rFactor AIW... exe), and the profiler gets confused and finds 'rFactor.exe'.

Rename the AIW editor file so there are no spaces, select the renamed .exe in the profiler, and it will load properly.

A simple guide how to build a AIW-file with BTB will be uploaded soon. I am working on it.
It will explain how to:
  • Create the centerline and what its purpose is.
  • Create a proper fastline (very often overlooked, but essential for offline racing!)
  • Create a pitlane and starting grid.

That would be a godsend.

Since I switched to Win8.1 and couldn't use ISI AIWeditor anymore I've been praying for a solution. I have wonderful MODS, but I really need to modify the AIW to be able to race the AI.

Guys can't find that file rFactorAIWCAMEditor1255.zip
maybe i'm missing somethign but when i unzip everything on the rf folder and click the exe it dosen't launch rf togheter with the aiw editor. what i'm doing wrong?

Here's a reposting of the guide to making the AIW file I did that was up on our old RSC forum.

You’ll need to download the AIWCamera editor [rFactorAIWCAMEditor1255.zip]. Go to http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=devcorner where it's listed under:
Waypoint and camera editing tools
* Download v1.255 [zip]
Put the unzipped file [rFactor AIWCAM Editor.exe] in your main rFactor folder and double click it to run rFactor with the editor.

You also need the 'Dev' files folder - this is essential for the AIW editor to work, but for some reason is not included with the editor. It used to be at RSC, but I've put a copy up here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb595c/n/rF_AIW_Editor_DevFiles_rar
Unzip this to your main rFactor folder. It contains two folders:
DEVFILES - the folder needed for the editor to work.
AIW Editor Docs - contains screenshots of the editor plus another guide to using it.

You can also use the AIW CAM Editor by Guitarmaen to fine tune the AI. I didn’t use it myself as I found I could do all I needed using the rFactor editor. Get this from rFactor Central, it’s under Addons\ Mod tools. It doesn’t have to be in the rFactor folder, but you need to edit the rF_AIW_CAM.conf file to point to your rFactor installation.

Cheers,
Chub

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 110 7.5%