• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

TS XW Racer SPARCO Rim Protection

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by M D Gourley, Oct 24, 2017.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley
    Premium

Ratings:
    +276
    Hello everyone,
    I purchased my new TS XW Racer with the fantastic Sparco rim and even though I tried some gloves I did not like wearing them as it reduced the button feel.
    So to protect the rims genuine suede leather I decided to quickly wrap the rim when I purchased it with some old sweat shirt material I had lying around. A couple of weeks have passed and this wrapping of the rim with material as worked very well...so I have decided to do it a little better with some purchased 'Cotton Heading Tape' (picture attached).
    The Cotton Tape is about 20mm thick and each side used about 2 meters in length with the centre spoke area using about 250mm. I did not need to use any adhesive tape to adhere it to the rim at the start of wrapping it because it had a slight velcro effect and the tightness kept it in place, but used a small piece of black felt adhesive tape at the every end just to keep that bit in place, but taping it onto the Cotton and not the suede leather.
    It still feels comfortable to hold while protecting the suede leather and when it wears out, just remove and replace...just thought I would share. BIRCH COTTON HEADING TAPE.jpg TS XW RACER SPARCO RIM with tape.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. MegamanAT

MegamanAT
    Premium

Ratings:
    +53
    :thumbsdown::roflmao::O_o::confused::giggle:

• Haha Haha x 1
  3. Jake Fangio

Jake Fangio
    Please don't rain pleeaassee don't rain

Ratings:
    +151
    How about fingerless gloves.Or just cut the tips of the gloves off.It seems a shame to cover that lovely wheel.:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. testdriver77

testdriver77

Ratings:
    +12
    I would never use such tape or similar stuff.
    Used long time the Porsche wheel and it was not dirty and it was not necessary to be protected.

Now i have the TS-PC and also dont use such stuff on it.
    Just wash your hands and dont eat during driving sessions ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Elaphe

Elaphe

Ratings:
    +25
    [​IMG]

• Haha Haha x 2
  6. Surfrazor

Surfrazor
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1

7. Surfrazor

Surfrazor
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1
    Check out MacWet gloves. I use them for powered paragliding because they are very thin and offer excellent feel on the risers and throttle. They also have excellent grip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. M D Gourley

M D Gourley
    Premium

Ratings:
    +276
    Thanks for the info...I did try my 'FootJoy' brand Golf glove first which fits the hand very snugly, but still was not liking it as much as just wrapping the wheel rim and having natural fingers accessing the buttons.

9. M D Gourley

M D Gourley
    Premium

Ratings:
    +276
    Thanks for taking the time to reply...did try my weight gloves first, then my Golf glove to gauge my personal preference...decided on the tape wrapping of the rim which suits me better....after all 'Sim Racing is an Individual Pursuit'.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. M D Gourley

M D Gourley
    Premium

Ratings:
    +276
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1