• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Trying to understand setup basics with DTM 2016 example

Discussion in 'R3E Setups' started by SeriousNewb, Jan 15, 2017.

1. SeriousNewb

SeriousNewb

Ratings:
    +4
    I've been playing R3E for a while now. I use a T300RS with 599XX Evo rim and wheel stand pro. Also use a TrackIR (can't afford triples or VR) and have installed the Crew Chief app which is excellent.

I've been following the DTM 2015/16 seasons and I know most of the drivers and tracks at this point and that for 2017 a race will be reduced from 24 to 18 competitors. Teams reduced from 8 to 6 to reduce costs etc..

I mostly play offline against AI. I'm trying to get to grips with things before I try anything proper online and I anyway don't wish to be the cause of a wreck fest, there's enough off that going on with most titles without someone like me only adding to it ;)

From researching I understand or at least try to understand the basics.
    1. Reduce ride height as low as possible
    2. Stiffen front springs and soften rear springs. I have no idea how much though...

I don't know how to affect camber, toe-in/out, Anti-roll bars etc. I understand the concepts but not exactly what they do. I've watched Billy Strange from ISRTV do some runs in R3E with GT3 etc and noted his changes to try and better understand things. His changes are of course unique to his style and rig setup, the sim and the car in question...

I've been trying the R3E AI again following the updates by resetting the adaptive AI. In a DTM 2016 at Hockenheim I came 18th or last using the default setup.

I tried tweaking the ride height, springs wing and brake pressure and then managed to obtain pole so the changes definitely made a difference. I put together a quick screen shot of changes, default is on the left http://i.imgur.com/a09rlrr.png

In terms of reducing the ride height how much should I go front and back?
    And with the springs, it there a standard way to setup stiff springs in front and soft in rear?

This example is of course just one vehicle type in a three car series and changes applied should be / could be unique to each car. Not to mention the large range of GT3 cars or the Audi TT variants.

I'm just trying to get a baseline in this case. If the R3E defaults are like everything at 50%, and I know that many do decent lap times just on the defaults, is there a baseline setup one should apply to defaults based on how to optimise handling? Any advice would be appreciated :)

2. UFO4U

UFO4U
    Premium

Ratings:
    +164
    Hi,welcome to the community! First of all the standard setup is a good way to start with! I've written something about setups in this thread before so feel free to read it.
    Some useful tips about brake pressure,height and wing adjustment you can read in Mr.Cs setup thread!
    When it comes to suspension setup,just as mentioned,read mine.
    Most of the time downloaded setups didn't fit to my personal driving style and I were not faster with that!!
    It's lot of stuff to read though,but in the end you will profit from that,for sure!
    Hope i could helped a lil so may in some time
    see ya on track ;)

3. SeriousNewb

SeriousNewb

Ratings:
    +4
    Great, thanks! I found your setup guide at /threads/setup-guide.130511/ sorry but who is "Mr C"? is that a username? :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,627
    check him out here

• Like Like x 1
  5. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium

Ratings:
    +1,215
    So, hello and welcome, will try to be short but no promises.
    Before I start to create a personal setup for a specific car/track combo I start with a base line setup, and I have one for most classes/cars.
    Before I tell you, you have to know that this are personal and tested in leaderboard by me and guy's faster than me.
    Talking general dtm16 car's
    1. Max negative toe toe - in front / max positive rear, if you have to much understeer reduce positive camber few clicks
    2 usually wing 12 or less
    3. Max brake pressure, and as close to 50/50 as you can. Test and when rear's lock up fast go two clicks to right
    4.minimum ride height, in theory rear should be higher by max 0.5cm
    5. Max negative camber rear and front, for race sessions go 0.5 less
    6.for baseline setup I live dampers/suspension alone
    7. Minimum front arb and medium rear
    That is my usual baseline
    Btw you will learn a bunch more in club events, everyone was a beginner at some point and a lot of people would be willing to help.
    Regarding setup, my setups are good for me, some like it, some don't and some even find them funny but for me they do the job I want.
    Good luck

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SeriousNewb

SeriousNewb

Ratings:
    +4
    Replying to my original post, which perhaps you'll find ;)
    I've been enjoying the new M6, mostly offline to get used to it. Billy from ISRTV mentioned it would need a good setup. I find it has a lot of understeer, or at least there's a lot of wheel rotation before the car will turn. I some how expected it to be more nimble given the design of the real thing, I don't know if a base setup portrays the car as it would be IRL. Just curious to know if there are some settings to try (ride height, wing, ARB, toe) to optimise things a little

7. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium

Ratings:
    +1,215
    Did you try my suggestions?

8. SeriousNewb

SeriousNewb

Ratings:
    +4
    Currently doing so, i.e. your DTM 2016 settings on the 2016 M6 GT3 ;)