Trying out a new wheel

A friend is giving up on sim racing and dropped off his wheel. Originally I had thought to give the wheel to a local kid that just got into racing but is using a joystick. That was before I opened the box and found a G25 in working order! [wheels turning] So in checking it out I find that the brake pedal has a much much better feel than my DFGT and [gears spinning] I think, "This might be nice for right foot braking", as the DFGT pedal has to move quite a bit to get modulation out of the pedal. I've been using a left foot brake since forever with sim's. This is going to be tough but I would like to think that once I get used to it, my driving might get better. It also looks like the larger paddles might make it easier on the arthritis I have in my left hand. which pains me at times but doesn't make me stop driving.

I expect to be a bit slower while I get into tweaking the system, a=getting used to the brake and shifter and what seems to be a new world of FFB. Jeez, I think it actually has more button functions than the DFGT if you use paddles, I'll have to be assigning those to pitstop functions, that's really going to tax my memory. Yeah, better expect to see me doing stupid things on track for a while.

You got it, if it works out, the kid gets the DFGT!

I switched from a DFGT to a G27 and like you, switched from left foot braking to right foot braking, It took a while. I had many a crash stamping on the clutch pedal trying to stop the car lol. Tuck your left foot out of the way, it helps ;)

Must admit, I preferred the DFGT as far as having all the buttons on the wheel to hand, now I only have 6 (you 2) but again, you soon get use to it.

Last edited:
Nice score there Dennis! :thumbsup: You're gonna like the G25 pedals so much more than the DFGT's, yes it will take a bit of getting used to but once you've gotten used to the feel you'll love it.

The leather wheel also feels pretty good and having proper paddles is great too, easier to reach :thumbsup:

So far, the wheel does fit the hands batter and the paddles v the buttons has eased the pain in my left hand. The ffb is so much nicer, I think centering spring being available had a lot to do with that. Overall, so much smoother.

I think I'm able to run more steering lock in the cars and not end up using it all but getting a better ability to turn the wheel the right amount, without scrubbing excessively. I'm also happier with a bit more ffb than I used in the DFGT.

The brake pedal, what can I say! Effort, it takes an effort, this is going to be good. It's easier to modulate and it's nice to know that when I need to slow a lot, that I'll have control. No wonder I used left foot brake with all the other wheels I've had in the past, having to release throttle, push a brake pedal all the way down to get max brake and then get back on the gas, way too much movement there for a right foot, left feet only need apply.

The clutch is not a button you say? I've been driving cars with auto trans IRL for so long and using a button in sim,s but even on my first practice start, I got away really well. The only problem it gave was at the first turn, I still had my left foot over the pedal and tried to use it for a brake :speechless: but I think I can get over that.

The DFGT really does have a nice complement of buttons, devises that make ontrack chat, viewing and anything you want to do in a pitstop so easy. The G25 isn't too bad, still working on that though!

I think it's a keeper:)

Oh yes, it does seem to be a keeper. Due to the resistance of the brake pedal modulation of the brake is more accurate, the clutch gives cleaner launches and I get much less pain in my left hand. I have two unused button functions and I wish one of those could be on the wheel but I'll live with it.

I am also using the G25 and it's a great wheel for its price and also allows to drive both sequential/manual with the stick as well as has great paddles for those open wheelers. I try to use the appropriate shift method for each car as it certainly ups the simulation.

The pedals although better than the DFGT lack a load cell and I am saving for a set of Fanatec V2 which I have driven and are quite amazing. In the mean time you can upgrade the feel of the brake pedal by using one of the many mods available.

I am using the Nixim mod and for its price I cant recommend it enough.

http://www.nixim.com/index.php?pageid=brakemod

I've just invested in a TS500 with the shifter and I'm really liking it but finding that when you turn left and right in race 07, it gets heavy and pulls to which ever way you are turning. Obviously to do with ffb strength etc but still trying to get it set up.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back