Trulli: Pay drivers are less committed

Again, the team did not decide to keep him for fun. He according to the team is more valuable then having a driver that comes with money.
He did the best job in races in terms of placing the car absolute highest during the season.
Kovalainen did the best job in Qualifying. Trulli has had power steering problems and an issue like that you can´t really hide because if you are truly having problems not feeling the car you will see it in the telemetry. And that is exactly what the team have done and that is exactly why Trulli sticks around.

Lotus rather pay two high level drivers in Kova and Trulli instead of having two rookies that you have to learn from the ground up.

Answer: Already answered that above.

He did the best job in races in terms of placing the car absolute highest during the season.

Not exactely true. Both got 13th places, so none of them got a better position. Trulli got it twice, Heikki once. But Australia, Trulli was 2nd last with the Sauber DSQ and D'Ambrosio being 2 laps behind, hardly his achievement while Kova had to retire due to the car.

The 2nd one was Monaco, where most guys crashed to give Jarno another 13th.

Heikki has beaten Jarno 10:6 in the races they finished. In some of them be trashed Trulli by margin(not by position). Qualifying was 16:2, big margin.

I still think they are better of with a mix of an experianced and a young driver.

If you have problems with the car someone else hasn't, do you need to keep him? Heikki seems fine with it.

But why do you say it´s not true when it is? It seems you take one line of sentence and add in alot of stuff not mentioned.
"He did the best job in races in terms of placing the car absolute highest during the season."
Trulli is the one with the highest place finishes of the two so the quote above is true.

Heikki has dominated qualifying and has most definitely had the best positions over the season on average. But in terms of the best placements they got, Trulli edged this one out by having an extra 13th place.

Doesn´t really matter what Heikki got into during those two 13th placements because we look at a whole season here so when Heikki for example took his 13th spot it´s irrelevant what Jarno was doing whether he was caught up in a collision or crashed or had technical issues. It´s alot of races so if you have bad luck in one race im sure your teammate will have bad luck in the next.

I still think they are better of with a mix of an experianced and a young driver.
Ok great..you should call them and let them know then, maybe you know more then they do. Afterall, they only got numbers to look at while you and me have nothing to look at except statistics.

If a team, a backmarker team with little money decides to keep a driver that requires a salary, do you seriously think they do it for fun?
Or do you think that there might be an explanation to it?

If you have problems with the car someone else hasn't, do you need to keep him? Heikki seems fine with it.
The team obviously sees that there is a problem with the power steering. Heikki manages to work around it due to his driving style while Trulli´s can´t.

The team realises that there is a problem and are trying to fix it. But according to your logic they just keep him for no apparent reason.
A fun thing basically..

One thing I agree with Trulli about - it is a shame that many of the F1 grid are there because of their money. It does not make them the best drivers in the World, which is what the criteria should be.

I do agree with you, Keith. I have that "24 best drivers" feeling less and less each year passes by. More is about money and technology. X pilot enters F1 for having good sponsors and then looks like a great driver for having a good car. Y enters F1 due to expertise/skill, but his car is crap and therefore the career doesn't last long.

Ricciardo has been sponsored by Red Bull for quite a while and if i´m not mistaken he is a Red Bull "young driver programme"-driver.
So essentially the only difference is that his sponsors owns two teams in F1.

The thing is, NO driver actually pays money to the team to drive for them, like it used to be a few years ago.

Drivers like Petrov, Maldonado, Perez etc.. all bring sponsorship money with them, which is what makes them desirable to a lower budget team.

Now if there's one thing I've learned in my 25 years growing up in this corporate world, it's that these companies do not like wasting a single penny that could be paid out to the board of directors. So why would a company sponsor a sub-standard driver?

Maldonado as the exception, I don't think any of the pay drivers are really that bad and obviously neither do the companies throwing millions of dollars their way.

And remember, the only reason Senna wasn't a pay driver was because he wanted to earn his way to F1, which is a lot harder for budding drivers now than it was in 1984.

I think Trulli's wrong

Does Trulli have a press officer? It's silly of him to even mention this circumstance. It can't be done without sounding like he has some kind of agenda. What Jarno needs to do with the remainder of time Lotus permits him to drive their car, is get in, shut up and drive/develop the car to the best of his ability. That's it. If he's good at that, he will keep his seat irrespective of who brings what. He needs to stop whining and drive the darn car.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back