Trulli out, Petrov in

I'm still convinced that both Caterham cars were identical and Heikki just dealt with it better.

There's a reason why Trulli was dropped and Heikki wasn't. And it's not because Heikki brings more money.

I'm still convinced that both Caterham cars were identical and Heikki just dealt with it better.

There's a reason why Trulli was dropped and Heikki wasn't. And it's not because Heikki brings more money.
You are 100% correct. Both cars were identical. The thing was that the power steering system they used only Heikki managed to work around due to his driving style.

It could just as easily have been Heikki having problems and we would be having this conversation about him and he would have been cut if it were the other way around.

Again, you don´t lose 5 tenths of speed (human speed) in a matter of months. It´s idiotic to even state something remotely close to that.
There´s a reason why Trulli was dropped, and that was money. No sponsor-money and Trulli would still be around, don´t forget that.

You have solid proof that Trulli when car is working fine, just like his teammates that he is equal or even faster then Heikki.
And you have proof that he actually had a problem with the lack of feel from the system if you look at 2011 Qualifying battle.

One more thing that should be taken into consideration for the 2010 season between the two guys.
Jarno had 7 mechanical failures. Compared to Heikki´s 3. That´s 5 retirements from a race right there.

Jarno had no accidents, Heikki had 2.

Get your dates straight before laying incorrect information.....Middle of Record Breaking Season?...u mean the race before the last race?..the one where they had already secured the Constructor's and were openly boasting how "getting one win for Mark" is their next goal???....RMC

Most wins from pole position in a season

DriverSeasonEntriesWins from pole​
Most championship points in a season

Seasons since 2010 gather 25 points per race win, instead of the former 8, 9 or 10 points for a race win.
DriverPointsSeasonWDCRacesPercentage of​
Possible Points​
1 Sebastian Vettel 392 2011 1st 19 82.53%​
Most podium finishes in a season

DriverSeasonEntriesPodiums​

Most championship points in a season

Seasons since 2010 gather 25 points per race win, instead of the former 8, 9 or 10 points for a race win.
DriverPointsSeasonWDCRacesPercentage of​
Possible Points​
1 Sebastian Vettel 392 2011 1st 19 82.53%​

Most starts from front row in a season

DriverSeasonEntriesFront row starts​
Most pole positions in a season

DriverSeasonEntriesPoles​
15​
Is that enough?​
I would not accept these all as real records, the season is now longer than it used to be but those ons where Vettel shares the record with other driver are the important ones... Who honestly can think that RBR would rob a chance of getting their driver in there....​

Those stats should read Williams / Ferrari / Red Bull instead. All of them had cars that were in another dimension compared to their competitors.

Really when i look at a driver if he´s good or not, how many championships he has is the last thing i look at.
It´s too dependent on the car, it´s better to look at them in the races themselves, what they do in certain situations, where they are in relation to their teammate, what caliber his teammate/s was/is, what mentality they have, how aggressive they are, how good racecraft they have, how good awareness of the actual race they have, how they handle pressure, what they can do in a non-winning car etc etc etc.

Titles are too car-dependent to be looked at seriously when comparing drivers.

Made me think of:

- Mario Andretti

So he had the 1-lap pace. Sadly for Jarno, a race does have at least 44 laps in it nowadays.
If you crash then you are not going anywhere.
The Quote is a bit so-so as well as it don't take into consideration people like Vettel, Button, Trulli which are quick but very smooth.

And apparently he had more then just 1-lap pace considering he placed his car 13th one more time then Heikki.
But maybe Heikki only has half lap pace or some other weird statement, there's been plenty of them today..

I'm just teasing. But you are bringing up this 13th place-thingy up for the 4th time or what?

Scoring tons of them is not like he's finished in a higher position than Heikki did(Don't come with up with "He's classified ahead of his DOH" because I mean race position DOH). It might show consistency, whether that's down to his own performance or rivals dropping like flies is another thing.

You know, I am not more impressed because he scored 1 13th place more. If he had finished 10th once...

I'm just teasing. But you are bringing up this 13th place-thingy up for the 4th time or what?
Apparently it's needed because everyone brings up the same argument every time despite it not holding any water.
Im not saying Trulli is better in the race but to say he did a bad job or only have 1-lap pace is ignorant.

Scoring tons of them is not like he's finished in a higher position than Heikki did(Don't come with up with "He's classified ahead of his DOH" because I mean race position DOH). It might show consistency, whether that's down to his own performance or rivals dropping like flies is another thing.

You know, I am not more impressed because he scored 1 13th place more. If he had finished 10th once...

So when Heikki gets his only 13th place it's because of him. When Trulli does it twice it's because of other drivers?
And i take it you were not impressed by Heikki aswell? He never managed to get 10th place..
Fact is both got one season each and Trulli managed to get one more 13th place.

It contradicts the whole argument that Trulli has one-lap pace only.

If you also compare the qual times between the two you can actually see that Trulli had problems.
You don't get 5 tenths slower over a couple of months for no reason at all.

A bad job would be if he got beaten by the Virgins and HRTs, aswell as falling of the cars infront a lot. So no.

And I meant it vice versa(Both did what the car was possible of).

But Heikki somehow made himself stand out more, by reaching Q2, keeping other drivers at bay longer tha Trulli did, at some races Jarno was dropped by Heikki quickly, who was still fighting against Williams and STR, although often on the softer tyres.

Heikki maybe didn't had to adapt as much as he didn't felt like the power steering was a problem to him, and even after it, Trulli's performancse didn't stand out more than before, even if he was more comfortable with the car.

But Heikki somehow made himself stand out more, by reaching Q2, keeping other drivers at bay longer tha Trulli did, at some races Jarno was dropped by Heikki quickly, who was still fighting against Williams and STR, although often on the softer tyres.
Yes i agree, Heikki did the better job this season everywhere. Question is if Trulli with his problems did too little?
He had some great races last year like Barcelona etc.

Heikki maybe didn't had to adapt as much as he didn't felt like the power steering was a problem to him, and even after it, Trulli's performancse didn't stand out more than before, even if he was more comfortable with the car.
From what i understand, Kova did not have to adapt, it just was not a problem for his driving style which is a bit chaotic (lot´s of movements with the steering wheel) while Trulli has that Button style type of driving where everything is slow and soft.
The P-steering problem was never fully fixed as far as i know.
He switched back and fourth in some races which really shows he could not have been happy with it.

Really the main thing why i´m pissed is because really good, tested F1 drivers gets kicked out while guys come in that really haven´t impressed anyone with their on-track performance despite having one or two years already in the game.

It´s a good thing for the team but really bad for the sport in my opinion.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back