Trouble adjusting to rF2 after rF1

I've been playing rF1, along with it's derivatives (Race 07, GTR2, etc.) for quite some time now. I've thoroughly enjoyed them all, and felt for a long time that they were pretty much unmatched in a lot of areas. I think I got quite good at them, became quite quick while stable too. I even regularly did races that were 300km long, and sometimes longer, no problem. But while I'm confident in my own ability, I feel like I'm learning to crawl all over again now that I'm dabbling in rF2.

The physics in rF2 is an evolution and a step forward over rF1, I appreciate that. But I'm really struggling to get steady with it, as none of the cars seem stable in my hands. The classic formula cars, the Formula Renault, the Megane, the two Nissans, they all feel quite unstable to me and I can't get any kind of comfort behind the wheel. As soon as I start to try and reach a steady pace, rather than just crawling around, things become unstable. And I can never keep up more than a few laps before something goes wrong, and I'm overtaken by my rear axel. Sometimes it's a wheel on the grass, sometimes it's being too violent on the curbs, but most of the time, I'm just not sure...

Has anyone else had any trouble adjusting to rF2's handling? Has anyone else managed to get through this? As I'd hate to have to stay behind while technology moves forwards. :(

Yes, I have....

I am not that quick driver at all. My goal is always to finish, no matter what position. Therefore, I always try to keep it in 1 piece, rather then being the quickest. With Race07, I did the same, and miss about 4 seconds per lap. With rFactor2, I easily miss 8 to 10 seconds.

There is another side to the story as well. I have to say that I like the physics SO much, that I want to drive JUST rf2. I am starting to get the hang of it (after a LOT of practice), and the joys are getting bigger and bigger now. Classic F3 feels comfortable now, as the megane start to do so as well.

I think it's just a matter of hanging in there. Keep trying, and find the driving style which fits you best. Remember, learning Race07, rfactor and the others took some time as well. This is a total new driving, for which in advance already was said that we all have to learn how to driving again. As it seems, they where 100% accurate with that :)

The basic problem is that rf2 seems easy on the brakes, but a PITA on gas+steering positioning, "and" there's so little car feedback, that it's hard to tell when you've overcooked it, and when you do, it's extremely difficult to correct it.
When I drive other sims, I'm relatively fast and feel like I'm in control of the car, but in rf2, it's always controlling me till I learn it's physics.

Not only does this make solitary driving a dull chore, but makes trying to dice with others a tricky and risky proposition.

I've been playing rF1, along with it's derivatives (Race 07, GTR2, etc.) for quite some time now. I've thoroughly enjoyed them all, and felt for a long time that they were pretty much unmatched in a lot of areas. I think I got quite good at them, became quite quick while stable too. I even regularly did races that were 300km long, and sometimes longer, no problem. But while I'm confident in my own ability, I feel like I'm learning to crawl all over again now that I'm dabbling in rF2.

The physics in rF2 is an evolution and a step forward over rF1, I appreciate that. But I'm really struggling to get steady with it, as none of the cars seem stable in my hands. The classic formula cars, the Formula Renault, the Megane, the two Nissans, they all feel quite unstable to me and I can't get any kind of comfort behind the wheel. As soon as I start to try and reach a steady pace, rather than just crawling around, things become unstable. And I can never keep up more than a few laps before something goes wrong, and I'm overtaken by my rear axel. Sometimes it's a wheel on the grass, sometimes it's being too violent on the curbs, but most of the time, I'm just not sure...

Has anyone else had any trouble adjusting to rF2's handling? Has anyone else managed to get through this? As I'd hate to have to stay behind while technology moves forwards. :(

Hi Marcus,

There is no miracle solution.
But there's one thing I noticed, the real piloting techniques can be circumvented in many simulation, because of technical limitations.
Personally, I have retrieve quickly the same level that I can have in the other simulations by re-taking the basics of piloting.
As there are fewer technical limitations than other simulations, the techniques to be in the game is closer to real. For this it's necessary to go back of the basics of piloting.

It worked well in my case, I hope it works for you ;)

Hi Marcus

Do you have a copy of NkPro?
If so do a few laps in the 1600 car class. It is a very difficult car to master, and teaches you to be more carefull with throttle control when exiting bends. There is no downforce on the 1600's and too much throttle will have your back end overtaking the front in no time.
If you then switch back to RF2 you will find the cars feel like they are on rails in comparison.

One other thing to bear in mind is the condition of the track. If you are trying to push with a "green" track, there will be little grip available. Try waiting until the track has "rubbered in" a little bit. If you are playing single player turn a few AI cars on, they will help by laying a bit of rubber down. There is a big difference in grip levels on and off the racing line too, and bear in mind that if you are off the racing line your tyres are getting dirty and will result in less grip even when you return to the racing line.

The basic problem is that rf2 seems easy on the brakes, but a PITA on gas+steering positioning, "and" there's so little car feedback, that it's hard to tell when you've overcooked it, and when you do, it's extremely difficult to correct it.
When I drive other sims, I'm relatively fast and feel like I'm in control of the car, but in rf2, it's always controlling me till I learn it's physics.

Not only does this make solitary driving a dull chore, but makes trying to dice with others a tricky and risky proposition.

That is pretty much also exactly my struggle with rf2 atm. Except for the brakes where I also struggle, mainly because there is no working brake-feedback atm and I'm used to have some feedback when I break hard.

The missing carfeedback is my biggest problem atm

I find the FFB in rF2 to be excellent so I'm not having a hard time "feeling" what the car is doing at all. Maybe play with your FFB settings? Maybe I'm weird but the Megane seemed to have improved since last build and feels very predictable and corners quite nicely in my opinion. The F3.5 is a tricky car and doesn't feel quite right to me just yet.

Andy:
I don't have NkPro, never even tried it, despite it's solid reputation. I'll try driving with more AI though, as usually I just drive on my own for practice, and I had no idea the difference between a green track and one that's been rubbered in was that dramatic. Thanks. :)

To be honest so far they have not changed much since launch.

Some of the mods released are good, some are awful. Personally I like the GT thing, but the F1 stuff is horrid, couldnt get on with it at all.

The base cars are very different. The FR3.5 is very tricky, but with time you an get the hang of it, but dont expect even if you do to be quick. I spent hours trying to get this car right and would go in servers and be 4th out of 10 still 4 seconds off pole, it takes a very sepcific driving style and wheel settings to get this car right and if you are not anally serious about this and use the same wheel settings all the time you will be off the pace.

The classic cars are good fun, the feedback is better, the brakes are good and they ar clearly setup loose and floaty. But again, with track time you can get up to speed. I spent hours perfecting Monaco in a 1, yet would still often be struggling to be within a couple of seconds of the aliens, but you could see where it was unlike the Renault things. More fun.

Meganes are weird. Very hard to find the limit, and very setup based, once you work out what you have to do to get them right its easy! But the default setups in this game are very far away from the fast ones! So you must be patient and try and work through a few setups to find your way.

Some of the mods released are good, some are awful. Personally I like the GT thing,.

It's probably the best car in rf2, however, I went back to EVO's C6R and the difference in the feel of the brakes is crazy, ie, C6R has epic feel and feedback under brakes, but GT's are not far from a mash fest.
As I keep saying, in EVO and other sims, I feel I have control of the car even if I slide around a bit, but in rf2, you need to carry huge speeds and access the extra downforce to make the car stick, of course, it's so difficult to hit that speed that you're always slippery.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back