Triple monitor help.

My system:
Gigabyte GA P55a-UD4P mother board
Intel quad core I7 860 2.80/2.97 GHz
4 GB Corsair Dominator Ram
GTX 280
Windows 7 64 bit
Been reading and looking to do 3 23 inch Monitors. Suggestions? Going to chop them up for a smaller bezel...
Questions are Eyefinity VS others
Matrox triple head 2 go VS others
GPU add another GTX 280 /scrap GTX /replace with what?
I will be running F1 2011/Race07/ Rfactor2
Should I add 4 more gb of memory?
Frame rates are great now, But adding more pixels are sure to tax the rig more..
What I am looking for is a wider FOV. Want to inlay real time telemetry on a portion of one monitor or if I need to a smaller monitor all together.

I had to upgrade quite a lot to get decent framerates with 3 monitors. I was running a 860 with a 5870, and it bearly ran at all without dropping texture resolution. .

Upvote 0
I run triple 22" monitors with a single HD 6950 2Gig card. I can't quote you the frame rates as I don't pay attention to that stuff but all my games are running smooth with all the graphics turned up to max. There are a few games out there that don't support wide screen triple monitors though, so I would read up on the games you run to be sure they support it.

Your screen resolution is going to be slightly larger than mine is, but not appreciably. If you have issues, then I would suggest a motherboard/CPU upgrade to the i5 2500K and getting an extra 4Gb ram wouldn't hurt. The clock speed of the processor you have is a little weak. I think that anything that runs at 3.5Ghz or more would be more than sufficient to handle the CPU requirements.

Upvote 0
Jim is spot on...

I run a 6970, 8gig Dominator ram, Q8200 o/c from 2.33 to 3.5Mhz (sometimes higher) frame rates are great over 3 monitors with everything maxed (iRacing 130-200fps, rFactor and simbin titles, stupid fps) The CPU has a larger impact on this than people sometimes think. I will be upgrading my CPU soon, its the weak link in my system

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've gotten away with running triple 22 inch monitors with a 5770, i5 750 (2.66Hz), Asus P7P55, and a lot of prayer XD

But now even that won't work as it's finally broken down on me. Now I have a i7 2600k, 6970 (will be getting a second one soon), and a Asus P67 Deluxe. Bought a new case and everything, just gotta build the thing now after I get a few more parts.

Upvote 0
ok on to look for more cpu power:) man thought The i7 would be enough just shows a few years and poof what was good now a turd. 4 more gb of matching memory. Should I get another gtx 280 or upgrade to twin gtx 580...I am a Nvidia guy not looking for a war on nvida vs ATI anything else needed?

Upvote 0
You should be fine with a pair of GTX 280's, as the move to the higher end card won't show you that much difference, but if you have the cash to spend, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade those as well. You might be able to sell your old one to get some of the cash back.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years