1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tree shadow

Discussion in 'netKar PRO' started by Sérgio Marques, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Since a few time ago I have this tree shadow appearing some times on the car and there's no tree around.

First I thought it came from one of those tracks that have one "skybox" folder, but I look for those that have it and replace the "sky" files, but that shadow just keeps appearing.

Any ideas?
  2. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium Member

Hey Sergio, I noticed the shadow aswell mate, decided to ignore it, and hope for a fix in v1.3
  3. That's not a shadow, that's a cubemap - usually generic, so you may see reflections that aren't 'there'
  4. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium Member

Hmm, thanks Ryan, I also noticed them viewing my paint job while in the pitbox @ Suzuka, is there a way to clean them up?
    Or best to just ignore them?

Attached Files:

5. Cubemaps are generic, they give the reflection it's shine and movement, cubemaps are usually applied to a car (only one per material), so if you're on a track without a tree then it's tough :D. You can change cubemaps but then you'll be stuck with buildings where there are none, so it's a no win situation ;)
  6. Ok, thanks Ryan for the information.
  7. If dynamic reflections make it in in V1.3 this should go away.
  8. LOL that looks freaky. hehehe :D
  9. Thanks adriecoot, I try those files and the tree has gone, but the shadows in the front of the car also gone. So I just keep it.
  10. ok cool.. lets hope we get real time reflections on the next release.
  11. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium Member

Okay, I downloaded and applied the clean dds as suggested by the link on page1, and my tree reflections are gone, as you can see in the before n after pics.

nkScr_FormulaKS2_Suzuka_PitBox Tree shadow 2.jpg nkScr_FormulaKS2_Suzuka_No trees.jpg
    Before >>>>> After

Doesnt seem as glassy/reflective but atleast the TREES are gone.
    It's dead easy to do, download emaps, rename emaps_glassy to cube, backup original cube in nKP texture file, then copy NEW cube to texture file and allow to over-right and your done, see ezy peezy.
  12. glad it worked mate
  13. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium Member

While pondering this reflection issue, I remembered a while back some new cubemaps where released for rF by GSMF Alien and 6e66o, after investigating the files I renamed the high reflection DDS to cube, inserted it into nKP textures and now I have a high level of reflection again, without the trees.
    If anyone wants the files, you can get them here

Edit: had issues with the link, fixed now.
  14. Thanks Andrew, I will try it, because without the reflections it don't feels right.
  15. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium Member

Hiya Sergio, I forgot to mention in my earlier post :redface: the file I used was MORE_SHINY_car-cube-dx9 by 6e66o.

I did find a small tree reflection, but I could only see it from the right side facing the car at about 45*, atleast the High reflection is better.:)
    here's a pic or 2
    nkScr_FormulaKS2_Suzuka_ reflection_Small tree image.jpg nkScr_FormulaKS2_Suzuka_new cubemap_Very Shiny.jpg
    you can see the tree in the 2nd pic behind the nK or just above the P in 1st pic.