Transfăgărăşan

@ asasinuxp

I looked a little deeper to BTB & other apps (3D Route & GE), I was wrong, I'm sorry....all bulls*** :redface:

So, what I would do :

1.) Create your route with GE (using the newest one, version 6) & save it as kml. (< 500 pts limitation export => so create more routes if needed to glue them after)
2.) Load it in 3D Route Builder, select all & update Altitude from Geo Tool
3.) Check the new update in GE (automatically done)
4.) Export as CSV after been filtered & keep just the 3 variables => altitude, longitude & latitude
5.) Import in BTB as CSV file with sampling on to 2 -10 if routes points are real close to each other + data to 'Long, Lat & Height'
6.) Eventually, activate 'Ignore 1st line' if not manually edited. Check Brendon CSV example.
7.) Roughly re-adjust the street points (Node/Control Points), so you get a nice interpolated street. => pay more attention in turns. => Try to keep distance evenly.
8.) Once you've been thru all 25 km (would be maybe 3 Routes 'merged' together 'manually' in CSV file) curves, export the street only.
9.) Export as X file
10.) Load it in your favorite app or 3DsimEd

10a.) If you don't have any X importer, load 3DsimED
10b.) Rename eventually the material & mesh
10c.) Explode the whole prior to export as DAE/3DS, best is DAE (standard in industry)
10d.) Export
10e.) Load that file in your 3D app (check for plugins => importer/exporter if not existing)

11.) Select all polys & merge the vertices together since X files splits each poly with its material.
12.) Now the magical part, in tight curves, introduce with your 3D tools more edges to get a real nice interpolation. Prior to that, 'quadrangulate' (Maya talk) the mesh to ease your work.
13.) Iterate thru all curves/turns that needs some more polys & repeat the technique. UV's will be fine since you tinkering inside the mesh.

Done !

For sure, I've tested it even further, so from my BTB terrain (Left/Right merged), you can then work from there & attach anything to it, as I suggested it to you, maybe a 'baked' outside terrain which aligns till your skydome.

Another cool thing, since I haven't figured with all my programs here, how to exactly extract a real terrain & bake it to polys, you could create another Route which 'contours' your map size (something like a curve network but with GE Routes) & afterward loft/birail the border edges....

I hope you understand somehow what I mean.
All this was 'successfully' tested today & thx to you really...:)

Enjoy guys !!!

P.S: I found 1 tutorial to extract/convert real terrain into HM/Relief Maps (http://www.massgate.net/read.php?77960,111959,171840) & it even works !! Wow....

Hehe, tracks take a long time to make, more so when you have to copy something in real life.

If you are not copying it's easier, but then you run into having creativity blocks. Being creative is important to make it feel real, and not just boring.

Why not just make the road, but use artistic licence? Keep the best bits, re-work the bits you don't like. Don't worry about it not being perfect to real life, but add character that the real one gives :)

Might make life easier... I'm working on an 8km stretch of road, I have tons of good data for it, and I'm still struggling to get the road surface realistic so I'm happy with it! So 12km of road you can't easily access is gonna be a real pain to get perfect!

Make a road in the spirit of the Transfagarasan, with the same kinda layout.

I used to love Rocky Pass in NFS4 for example, it probably didn't resemble a real road to perfection, but I bet the ideas for the cool bits on it all came from real places!

Dave

@asasinuxp

Be strong & keep faith in your project, once done, you'll be so happy & proud of yourself, I guarantee...
Let me know, if you need anything, I'll try to help out !

@Dave

Maybe, you could implement what I explained earlier with real terrains, I remember you were searching after a solution, for sure, using also Street Maps with a good cam perspective for assets extraction & you should be able to reproduce a real place.

Have to say, MicroDem (freeware app for satellite images extraction/editing) is 1 powerful app, done by some 'professors/scientists'.....+1 app !

=============================
Here's an example of a real terrain area in the USA :

Big link :
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/realhm01.jpg/

No.
And something funny:
VCWdQ.jpg

Translation for "Curve deosebit de periculoase" is "Very dangerous hookers".

@Dave

Maybe, you could implement what I explained earlier with real terrains, I remember you were searching after a solution, for sure, using also Street Maps with a good cam perspective for assets extraction & you should be able to reproduce a real place.

Have to say, MicroDem (freeware app for satellite images extraction/editing) is 1 powerful app, done by some 'professors/scientists'.....+1 app !

=============================
Here's an example of a real terrain area in the USA :

Big link :
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/realhm01.jpg/

Looks interesting.

Will MicroDem import the Ordnance Survey Open Data files (DEM's of the whole of the UK?) and be able to do things with them?

Right now I've just created my whole terrain by hand over contours, so the mesh is really nice, but it did take a while.

There really is no ideal solution. You either use loads of texture space or lots of polygons. What I really need to do is built it with speed in mind, so I'll be using a mixture of lots of techniques as the landscape moves off into the distance.

Part of the fun of these projects is trying to figure out the efficient ways that look the best too...!

Hmmm

Dave

The best is USA, other countries are atm not laser scanned completely...

It's true, no ideal solution exists & still a lot of work, in any cases.

What's really cool, is handling those GE Routes in CSV format in BTB to get the 'right' curvature of the road & fine tune the whole in 3D from the BTB X file format. I didn't checked that when I first tried it. Somehow, it resembles to CE (City Engine) which also handles real streets footprints from OSM files. I guess our 3D apps could handle those as well with some additional plugins...:rolleyes:

Problem is, GE data isn't so hot.

I've got closer with OS mapping contour intersects of the road and road point heights... the GE data is metres out in plenty of places.

All depends what you want to do really. Imo, you can get a road correct enough using simple techniques. Using automation probably means less accuracy overall.

LiDAR probably won't be much good either unless you are down at road level, and even then LiDAR can get noise in it's signal so you have to average it out, and then you need to think how you will do that to preserve important bumps hehe.

No easy system yet, but many many good techniques if you capture the data effectively :)

Dave

@ asasinuxp

Check Brendon Official Youtube Channel, if you struggle :

http://www.youtube.com/user/Piddy555#p/u/25/gW9Tin4k-4Y

Keep in mind that your CSV data + BTB smoothing options (RMB) will soften the whole track 'instantly'....a quite useful function.I do love BTB, interesting is how his algorithms handle the UVs dynamically...is most cases, it does an amazing job with almost no common stretching problems !

Too bad, it doesn't have any 3D import to merge a custom terrain from the outside. Sure Xpacks, but that doesn't do everything I want/need.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%