F1 2011 Traction Control

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I´m practicing no TCS a lot. I think in some tracks i almost didn´t spin anymore but i´m too slow... have to practice more...
My recommendation.... be patient.. it´s har. NAH HAH...it is like Rfactor...with a good setup your car stay on the road...without you are skiing...but since F1 2010 no one given the reasons, the true reasons...First for some reasons G25, G27 setups sometimes allow to play without assists (buggy)...when others wheels and gamepads didnt...Second springs 11/11 bugs is a good way for TOO...U can also start without assists a time trial and change it in race, before quit...you select without assists and quit...wow u did a time trial without assists..u good! sure no automatic save game...do the same for HARD success 100 G...unlocked!
In qualifying: I am changing aid when I go out of the garage and I put them back when I get home.
In the race: I am changing aid at the start of the race and I put them back just before crossing the finish line.
For manual backup, you can manually back up and returning to the paddock after each race, it's like you want.
This time the trophy is obtained directly when you have enough advance instead of waiting for the end of the season to get it. We need to manual backup.
after three races if you're tired ... you entrust automatic backup and you leave your game ..
The next day, you disables it again and keep up the championship.
If after you unlocked it...u dont hear sound from the game or the computer (it is normal, buggy buggy again), don't worry and finish your race (sometimes you will be champion at monza and when you will be 3 or 4 oupsss you finish first..every cars disappear hahaha it is so funny ...verify if you have it unlocked and quit the game...Restart and YEAH game sound go back!

I can really recommend (apart from watching Steve Stoops pedalcam, which is awesome) to just youtube for like "f1 onboard" or "vettel polelap" or something. Usually they have a nice OSD where they show how much throttle is applied, it's a little green bar that fills up depending on how much throttle they apply. There you can really see how the real f1 drivers work with their throttle foot ;)

Hello Guys
I read everthing, i got same problem can't make a lap whitout TC, this is because i got a very bad feeling whit my pedals, i have a Thrustmaster F430.
To me it's all about , have good pedal set , i saw some in where you can change springs, then you will learn as you guys explaned very well.
Actually all i can do is turn off ABS but on rain i often lock the wheels, settings in game are all to 0% but it seam to have buttons instead of pedals...
I'm a former driver so i should be able to drive, since i never had any eletronic stuff on cars i used..
Cheers

I had no idea so many people drive with TC on o.O
I found learning to drive without it not particularly hard, but I'm guessing that was also due to the fact that getting traction in F1 2010 was way too easy anyway, so there was no big difference between having it on and off. I can definitely see though, why the learning curve would be much steeper for someone practicing it in F1 2011.
It should be helpful to practice it with a car setting that favors a very stable rear end (very high rear wing is now the most important setting for that since car balance from '10 isn't available any more) and then gradually switch to more 'normal' settings once you get used to treating your pedals gently.

The Walter Röhrl analogy posted by David O'Reilly is pretty awesome and I personally still find it hard to coordinate my hands and foot so that both apply the exact same gradient of force to steering wheel/throttle. However, this is only for getting it absolutely perfectly right, for starters you should just have your steering wheel completely straight when accelerating and not do any steering movements until you feel the car is stable.

Actually all i can do is turn off ABS but on rain i often lock the wheels, settings in game are all to 0% but it seam to have buttons instead of pedals...
Set your brake pressure to medium or low for rain races, especially with 'low' it's almost impossible to lock them up.

DFGT, TCS OFF, Rubber ON, (Does that count as an assist?)

Salutations

Well, I've been persevering with traction control off and have found it most difficult because, well I'm just used to flooring it everywhere, and also my throttle pedal lacks any appreciable resistance. I have a DGFT, great wheel but the accelerator is, shall we say, a tad lightly sprung, which makes feathering the throttle a tricky affair unless you have the light and dainty feet of a ballet dancer who's been breathing nothing but helium for about a month.

I had seen Kevin from Gran-Tour-Gismo give a very good spring tensioning master-class on YouTube, which I may still have a crack at at some point. But I didn't want to dismantle my pedals and fiddle about with the innards just yet if I could figure out an alternative.

Then I saw that someone have used bungee cords looped round the back of pedals to increase their tension and a plan was born. I didn't know the appropriate length so I purchased an assortment pack of various dimensions and set to work.

Now I understand that there are many gentle racing folk here who have almighty wheel and racing set-ups with all manner of fabulous widgets, knobs, lights and dials. And perhaps someday I shall invest further in some of the more wondrous bits of kit out there so I may drive my desk with more speed, style and aplomb. At the moment however, I am on a bit of a budget, and so if you can stifle the chuckles I'd like to present.......

My DFGT 250/4 Bungee Mod (Heath-Robinson edition) *RollsEyes*

In the end I found that two Bungee Cords of a length of 250mm X 4mm diameter seemed to give the right amount of tension while allowing full pedal travel. Its simple, cheap, but best of all it has had the desired effect with regard to throttle feathering and my subsistent ability to drive with TC off. :D

I managed to finish 10[SUP]th[/SUP] in test GP in a Williams on professional, nothing else on but autogears (I'm getting some flappy paddles soon courtousy of Kevin from GTG so that's the next hill/mountain to climb?). Not pulling up any trees granted, but a few days ago I could barely complete a lap without spinning off into the kitty-litter as I couldn't judge where to place my foot on my throttle.

I'm not saying its a substitute for practice, practice and yet more practice, but its definitely helped, along with a great deal of advice on this thread. So what have you got to lose (Aside from your dignity perhaps?), only £4.75 on some stretchy rubber and few old hooks, and bungees which always come in handy for....... Well something or other, can't be bad.

Apologies if this is old news to the long established denizens of this fine old website, but the forum search button still seems to be malfunctioning so I couldn't check first.

Cheers, PM :)

Set your brake pressure to medium or low for rain races, especially with 'low' it's almost impossible to lock them up.
Thanks Markus
I setted it on low and worked much better, i'm used to brake very hard like Schumi or Hamilton and i noticed that my braking style was great vs. AI but only in Dry now i'm competitive also on wet...
@Paul
It's a nice trick but i still think that pedal set like yours or mine , are not so good..
Main problem is that in real car i can almost feel engine cilinders moving up and down, just by putting my foot on the pedal, in sim nothing, i saw a pedal set from fanatec wich gave you feedback, the price is astronomical as usual and this game don't support it, but at least you have great pedals to play whit..
For G25 and G27 owners there is mod, you have to change the springs insde the cilinders attached to pedals, there are also progressive springs, it's easy to install do, and you can find some video on youtube i'm sorry but i'm not able to explain whit my limited english :redface:
Cheers

I use this
SkiDooMXZCover.jpg

Plug and play so this work on USB... only for windows seven 32/64
Monaco time trial with assists = 1.03xxx to 1.09xxx
without assists =...dunno i never did a lap...

One more basic mod for pedal control is a slice of a squash ball.

Heavy rain about 1/2 a ball
Light Rain about 1/3 of ball
Inters about 1/4 ball.
You can quickly change which slice of squash ball you use when you are in the pit lane.
Best use super soft (red dot)

Only the first sentence is genuine. The stuff in italics is nonsensical drivel.

Paul the bungee cord idea is brilliant...added a few small ones to my 360 wireless wheel accelerator pedal and noticed an immediate difference in throttle feel! There is some really good stuff in this thread for the no-assist noob...could this information be compiled and put in a sticky?

I have been practicing and practicing, and practicing, and practicing, and practicing with traction lowered but I simply cannot do it.

spent about 12 hours now and I spin every single lap. Getting no better.

That is with traction set at medium!

It's a ridiculous part of the game

Hi Rich,

I hope that any modicom of advice I have may have a resonance for you because (If memory serves) you have a DFGT too, although on a PS3. I'm something of a newcomer to the new incarnation of driving games (Geoff Crammond F1GP circa 1992 was the last thing I had my mits on before F1 2010) so this is really all new to me too. However, I had tried having the TCS on medium too and was getting nowhere.

I then had something of an epiphany. If I was going to learn how to drive with TCS off, I may as well switch it off altogether, as having it on Medium would just give me a false dawn from which I only have to start all over again from when I eventually decided to go sans TCS. So I did..... and to be truthful, I was still just a bad, but not drastically much worse. So I persevered, and thanks to much sage advice from this thread (Er and the odd bungee.... cough!) I started to find the grip and spin less.

I stated with TT laps on the circuit I knew the very best, and kept at it. Then had a couple of GP's at the same track and after a several hours started putting laps together with no spins, eventually ended up with a fastest lap although I finished in 10[SUP]th[/SUP].

I've learnt that there's no substitute for practice and I know that the next track I go to it'll probably be difficult again. But at least I have a hint of what I’m meant to be doing now, and softly, softly is the key to nailing this technique. The advice is all here.

For me, its all about the bungee rubber now baby.

Good luck mate :)

PM

Its interesting that weening yourself off Traction Control seem to go hand in hand with learning manual gears as it would seem that short-shifting (Getting into a higher gear before you actually need to) helps reduce wheel-spin out of corners. But you can't do that with auto-gears, so it would appear that the two need to be learnt in tandam, which is a bit of ask when you first start (Especially with a DFGT and the itty-bitty paddle buttons!)

I'm just starting this myself and I'm finding it a steep learning curve, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run. Although that long run seems to end up as a short run into the pit wall most times ATM, LOL.:rolleyes:

I've just ordered a set of Gran-Tour-Gismo (http://granturgismo.com/index.html) paddle-shifters for my DFGT so that should help. Am I right in thinking that you have a DFGT wheel too Rich? If so, I'll let you know how I get on with them mate?

Comments like this make me laugh, I have a dfgt and have no problems with them buttons, I certainly be wasting money on some lame shifter extensions, Id rather save that money for a g27.

Setup is diffrent Rick,beacause if im driving i even dont feel that tc is off,but then again im never used assist,and yes,if you have antirollbar (rear) on max and if you have less rear wing then front then you spun,forgett your setup all for TC,you haveto make new ones,sry bad english

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%