• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

Traction control question

Discussion in 'R3E Setups' started by Mike Wyatt, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Mike Wyatt

Mike Wyatt
    Premium

Ratings:
    +310
    I'm making the step up from Amateur to Get Real and am slowly coming to understand the impact of the various setup parameters through trial and error (well, mostly error) but I can't seem to figure out what the negative side is to a high traction control setting. Traction control was set to 100% by default in the amateur division and while I can set them at 100% in Get Real too, I assume there is a trade off, just as there is with most settings. Can anyone tell me what the downside is?

2. Christian Moreau

Christian Moreau
    A Canuck in Pyjamas Premium

Ratings:
    +1,527
    If you look at how how traction control works, when a lack of grip is detected from a certain wheel, the ECU will pump the brake on that wheel to slow its rotation. The higher the traction control setting, the more sensitive the threshold of wheel slip becomes along with more aggressive braking to slow the rotation.

One step that you should look into making is slowly reducing the amount of traction control you run with. Traction control can heavily impact your corner exits, especially in low speed corners such as hairpins and tight chicanes. Higher traction control settings can also give understeer in certain situations as the rear wheels aid in the rotation of the car and cannot do so if they are being impeded.

I can guarantee that you will see faster laptimes if you are able to get used to lower levels. I tend to run anywhere from 16% to 35% in the GT3s, adjusting accordingly as the tyre wear gets worse. Try to reduce the levels of traction control by 5-10% at a time and get used to modulating the throttle to control wheel spin. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mike Wyatt

Mike Wyatt
    Premium

Ratings:
    +310
    Thanks Christian. It was an absolute disaster the first time I ran without traction control so I set it to 100% and have had it there while learning the other settings. Now that I know there is good reason to start bringing them down and I have a reasonable handle on the other settings I will begin the process as you suggested. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Christian Moreau

Christian Moreau
    A Canuck in Pyjamas Premium

Ratings:
    +1,527
    No problem! And no rush as well. Take it slow and make sure that you are comfortable with every step that you reduce. You'll begin to notice that you have to counter-steer more as you lower the traction control. You'll begin to understand the behavior of the car more and more. :)

• Like Like x 1