Track not loading

I have two installs of rfactor sharing a common locations folder. Lime Rock Park will load fine in one but not the other, where the LOD screen appears but the loading bar never moves (no matter how long I wait), and hitting any key dumps me back to the desktop. I have deleted the track and hat file then reinstalled, to no avail.

The trace tells me:
"CUBE error loading scene file J:\RFACTOR\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\Limerock\LIMEROCK_Normal\LIMEROCK_Normal.SCN: Error initializing scene file J:\RFACTOR\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\Limerock\LIMEROCK_Normal\LIMEROCK_Normal.SCN"

Obviously a model issue, but why only from one install and not the other?

Just a thought here, some files are located in the shared folder, and could be that game is not finding it. Possibly copy the shared folder over to the version that won't load.

If have two installs of rfactor and share same locations folder and not edit it right can this problem be best is to be care full it exist a tweak with chance folders
Open config.ini and find the following line and change it to below
Default = TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\
New = TracksDir=D:\LOCATIONS\
Don't forget to add the trailing ""

This can be done with any or all pointers within the config.ini file
to move your Replays, Logs, movies, etc directories. But i have not test it myself i had have 20 installation when i host servers and best is to not tweak edit to much so we must do a trace file so we can see more what the problem is

Last edited:
The shared folder in the install without tracks (has Toban and a commonmaps file in the Locations folder) only had a coreshaders.mas; the main install (with tracks) also had a folder of shader files and an assortment of gfx and vsh files in the shared folder. I copied all that to the other install; track still doesn't load but now gives a "could not open patch.mas" popup message; that mas file is part of Limerock, which still works fine in the main install. The trace file still has the same cube error.

All other tracks that I've tried work fine with either install so I don't think there's anything wrong with the link in the cfg file (TracksDir=J:\RFACTOR\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\). FWIW, both installs are on the same drive.

I see there is a file called Patch.MAS in that Limerock track. It is as if someone somehow modified the track with an extra file. I extracted the MAS files, looking for hidden files that may be looking for hidden paths that don't exist. Everything looks normal except for that Patch file.
When I extract it, there is a file in there called TRKBUSH01.GMT, it Seems fine. Not sure why it is not placed into LIMEROCK.MAS with the other GMT files.

Just another thought In the locations folder, we always have Commonmaps.mas and terrain.tdf, which contain default things like cubemaps, sky, smoke, and skidmark tga files. You could possibly try putting just those files into your locations folder. They are probably already there.

Loose files in the locations folder of each install are the same:

commonmaps.mas 3943 KB 7/25/2006
DUSTBROWN.TGA 1025 KB 6/26/2011
DUSTROAD.tga 1025 KB 6/26/2011
FIRE.DDS 86 KB 6/4/2010
powder.tga 675 KB 6/29/2015
RACEGROOVE.tga 257 KB 7/28/2009
RAINDROP.DDS 86 KB 6/4/2010
RAINSPRAY.DDS 86 KB 6/4/2010
SKIDWALL.TGA 2049 KB 6/20/2008
SMOKEBLACK.DDS 22 KB 6/4/2010
SPARK.dds 683 KB 12/1/2009
terrain.tdf 14 KB 4/24/2006

Thanks for the input. It's quite a conundrum but at least I don't feel as stupid now (was expecting a simple "facepalm" solution that I'd overlooked).

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Better structured forum

• Standard game content

• No 3pa registration pages