Track Length

Hi all - are there any performance issues related to track length? I thought I read somewhere it's good to split the track up but can't remember why this is a good idea and what the benefits are. I have a long closed loop circuit, all as one track. Is there a way to split a track into smaller tracks? Do I need to? Track is for Rfactor. Thanks alot :)

The track itself isn't likely to be a performance hit... it's gotta be what it is. If it's a real concern, you can decrease the polygons by increasing the panel length for a track (default is 5 meters long as I recall).

Splitting up the terrain and objects into smaller groups does help performance. For instance, you don't want all of your terrain to be in a single default group.

Yeah the track loads after about 20 seconds. This is with 4gb of memory. It's 59km length closed loop, all as one track (ie it's not split into several open tracks that join to form one circuit). It's half populated with scenery and objects, but this load time has been fairly consistent I think. When the track is loading, the load progress bar at the bottom of the screen progresses instantly to about 85%, then waits for 20 seconds before finally loading.

Newbie here with BTB Pro demo. I was doing track for RBR couple days ago. Now I'd like to make track longer, how is it possible? Only option I saw was to make a new track, but I don't know how to joint those tracks together, so that those would become only one track file?

First for the OP:

I'm working with a 35k closed loop and 3 open tracks inside it, each of about 15-20k, and I have no problems, but its definitely worth splitting the terrain and objects into smaller groups.

Jape:
You should be able to extend the track by dragging one end of it and then CTRL-Clicking the track in the top view to add new control points.

MVK

Sure. When placing a large number of objects I use the lasso tool, which automatically places the objects into their own group.

If I'm adding a much smaller group, say some objects close around a corner, Ill place the first one, then Split it from the default group (Split button), and rename the new group. Then, keep that group selected while you add the rest of the objects and they will be entered into that group. Keep checking and if some of them are not in the right group you can select them and split them off.

If you already have a lot of objects you can just select a bunch of them and split them into their own group.

It makes manipulation much easier because you can choose to hide the unselected groups and I would think that it also makes it a lot easier for the game to handle them too.

I do the same with large areas of textures too, but lasso selected a section and splitting that off from the main area and renaming it.

Hope that helps. Give me a shout if you need to know any more.

MVK

Well theres a 90km track over on nogrip and while I didn't do it I know you could make a 1,000 mile track or so in BTB, if you zoom out enough the grid itself is about 75 km by 75km, I made a 141 km thing just to see how long it could go and I gave up pretty early. but BTB tracks can get pretty long. Look at all the nordsclife tracks out there.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 116 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 301 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 430 39.6%