Track Designing Competition

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now. I live south of York, PA, USA. I'd like to see a 15-20km rally route near my home. For the winner, I will prepare a dash cam drive through experience of your selected route and post on YouTube. (Normal driving speed, of course!) No private driveways please, nor should you make me drive opposite on a one way street.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now. I live south of York, PA, USA. I'd like to see a 15-20km rally route near my home. For the winner, I will prepare a dash cam drive through experience of your selected route and post on YouTube. (Normal driving speed, of course!) No private driveways please, nor should you make me drive opposite on a one way street.
Aidan did something similar ages ago, nice idea!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7036695

@rubaru
Ok, on second thought I will just give you guys the brief right now, it probably will work better.

So my hometown of Drysdale feels like they want to host a racing series. Doesn't matter what, though they are realistic that it probably won't be anything like WEC or F1, more V8's and under.
What do they want? A street circuit based in the Drysdale/Clifton Springs/Curlewis area, map here
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6679093
Tracks can be made up of all roads, or can have added non-road sections, but be warned on that (see below).

So enough of the fantasy stuff, that is what I am looking for. Now, I won't discriminate against anyone that has a lot of off road sections, but the major winners will receive a sort of special reward:
I'll drive and film your track for you.
Obviously if there is too much off road section it will be hard, but don't be discouraged! If there isn't too much, too far away, I can and will still film it for you! e.g. making a small chicane down Central Rd? easy, I'll pull over and talk about it for you. But if you start ripping skids between Central Rd and Jetty Rd through the paddocks... we may have a problem :D
I'm fascinated as to what can be done, and I hope that the effort put in by you guys is rewarded with your video!

A few notes:
i) I reserve the right to film as many tracks as I want :D If it's good enough, I'm driving it.
ii) Tracks will also be judged on the real life topography, but not overly.
iii) The videos are based on whether I can borrow a car this weekend, but even if I can't, I am committed to getting the videos done ASAP after that.
iv) I have already had two courses in mind, so if you guys happen to read my thoughts and design one of those, you will get a video, but won't be able to win :D

Other than that, I'll end this on or just past this weekend, have fun and make me proud!

Right, so firstly I would like to thank everyone who took part (including Milos, I laughed a bit at those). This has been one of those things where you daydream about a racing circuit, and the fresh ideas were wonderful indeed!
So, to the tracks! I feel that it is fair to talk about them all.

Kedy89: Sadly I can't really let you win, as that is pretty much one of my tracks too and it'd be a bit biased to give it to you! However, it's interesting that you should send it around clockwise, I normally go counter-clockwise and have a few different sections.

Manolis: Hell of a track mate, but at 12km its just a bit too long :D That being said it has all the makings of a decent, including a massive hill in the middle of your straight around 10km. I would film, but I think it's way too technical and expensive LD

RODTony: Very undulating circuit in real life, it would be a massive challenge for sure. Just to show how undulating, I'll be looking at filming this one.

Sky: Neat course, straight forward and high speed. Fantastic section around the 1km mark. Again, will look to film it.

Jimlaad43: Great course, certainly surprised me as I'd never looked to have a track in that sort of configuration. The section near the oval is a beaut too.

Tigerkart_22: Again, was pleasantly surprised with the course, another section of town I'd never thought of. Awesome straight, although the first corner is probably a mere 150m ahead of a 80m drop off a cliff, so maybe that's a small problem :D

Leaving @Nelson Ullinskey
Personally this I liked the look of most. I like the thought of a small sprint circuit, 2.7km is definitely under that category. What might surprise some people is that even at 2.7km, the amount of undulation is simply massive. The course would of course be tricky, but it is probably wide enough in most areas, so the walls might not be as much of a hassle as normal. That being said, overtaking won't come easily, but there's going to be upwards of 60 laps to get some opportunity somewhere, probably the first corner. Definitely at the base of Duke St I'd be interested in, a very sharp uphill on Newcombe St could cause issues (in a good way).
But otherwise congratulations!

Again, a massive thanks to everyone who took part!

(not to take the wind from your sails Jim)
But I have your Drysdale track! Complete with me getting lost!

After seeing Aiden's video, I'm thinking we should cut thus down to 10-15km. You're welcome to keep it as is but any new entries should be shorter. Also, I find it interesting that none of you have gone through where I actually live.

I kinda like my route, so I'll stop it at 16km/10 miles ish, as sadly one of the bests corners is just before that so I'll cut it down to 16 which is a bit shorter- just don't want to remake my entry if that's all I'm going to change

Last edited:
I am giving this one to @Jimlaad43 's Dull Road course!
This was, in my opinion, the best use of existing roads and all of their remarkable traits. Many of the turns were actually part of the road and not artificial by turning onto a different road. I think you will all be surprised how much elevation will be involved with this, as well.

In addition, I'd like to award an honorable mention to @Jolero02 's Lake Redman course.

I'll be filming both of them in the weeks to come. We are currently expecting a crippling snow storm tomorrow, and it will be cold enough to leave the snow lying around for weeks to come. But, for now, Jimmy's can offer the next challenge!

Last edited:
I am giving this one to @Jimlaad43 's Dull Road course!
This was, in my opinion, the best use of existing roads and all of their remarkable traits. Many of the turns were actually part of the road and not artificial by turning onto a different road. I think you will all be surprised how much elevation will be involved with this, as well.

In addition, I'd like to award an honorable mention to @Jolero02 's Lake Redman course.

I'll be filming both of them in the weeks to come. We are currently expecting a crippling snow storm tomorrow, and it will be cold enough to leave the snow lying around for weeks to come. But, for now, Jimmy's can offer the next challenge!
I will take a honroable mention

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back