Toyota Top Again After Last Minute Pass

Toyota WEC.jpg
It’s first blood to Toyota as the #8 car of Sebastien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima, and Anthony Davidson wins the 6 Hours of Silverstone.

The Toyotas dominated qualifying, with #7 taking pole ahead of Buemi’s #8 team, and the two cars swapped and changed places throughout the first stint before a high speed crash took the #7 car of Jose Maria Lopez, Mike Conway, and Kamui Koboyashi.

With half an hour remaining, the #2 Porsche stole the lead of the race from the Toyota as a strategic gamble paid off. The Porsche, piloted by Brendon Hartley, stopped only for fuel while the Toyota swapped tyres for the final push. That put Hartley into the lead of the race with Buemi eight seconds behind him.

Buemi set about cutting into the Porsche’s lead, and stole the lead of the race with twelve minutes left on the clock. Hartley wasn’t able to reclaim the lead, and Buemi crossed the line to take his and Davidson’s first wins since 2014.

The #1 Porsche of Neel Jani, Nick Tandy, and Andre Lotterer completed the podium as the only other car to finish on the lead lap.

In LMP2, the #38 of Jackie Chan DC Racing lead Rebellion Racing’s #31 across the line.

G-Drive Racing’s #26 started the race on pole, but defending champions Signatech quickly took the class lead. The trio of Gustavos Menezes, Matt Rao, and Nicolas Lapierre lead the class comfortably for the first part of the race, before full course yellows allowed the rest of the class to position themselves for an attack.

The #31 and #38 spent the remainder of the race swapping positions, but it was eventually the trio of Ho-Pin Tung, Thomas Laurent, and Oliver Jarvis who crossed the line first, nearly 20 seconds ahead of Rebellion’s Bruno Senna, Nico Prost, and Julien Canal.

TDS Racing’s #28 car completed the podium, with car #36 finishing fourth in class.

The GTE class saw lots of changes at the front, but it was a win for pole sitters Andy Priaulx, Harry Tincknell and Pipo Derani. The team was plagued with an opening door problem, which forced the #67 car to pit early, but the team soon returned to the class lead.

Throughout the race, multiple cars controlled the class lead. The other Ford was the biggest challenge for most of the race, but the #66 car fell away in the final stages of the 6 Hours. The #51 Ferrari eventually took the second place after slowly climbing up from sixth in class. The #91 Porsche completed the podium, after its stablemate caught fire in the fourth hour of the race.

In the GTE Am class, Clearwater Racing’s car #61 took the class win. The #98 Aston Martin had led the class for almost the entire race, only for a last lap crash to hand the victory to the Clearwater team. Aston Martin’s Paul Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy, and Mathias Lauda did get to stand on the podium with their second place finish, with the Dempsey-Proton Racing’s #77 completing the podium.

For more motorsports news and conversations, check out the motorsport forum.

A sign of what's to come this season, or will Porsche come back in round two?

Image credit: Caroline Rhea

Surely they can break the curse at Le Mans this year.

They are surely the most competent race team to have never really delivered, both at Le Mans and in F1. I respect Toyota for never giving up. Except in F1, I mean ;)

This was an outstanding start to the season..........for Porsche.........and toyota of course.

Porsche had very good constant pace, tyre and fuel usage was pretty nice. Also dont know what madness is happening regarding the pits but they were way faster in the pits

Toyota had great pace, seriously good in traffic and quite robust

This will be a very interesting season. i cannot wait for Spa

Great save for Porsche coming close to winning with the incorrect aero package.

Toyota will have 3 cars at Spa, 2 high downforce, 1 low downforce, so should be interesting race, High and Low packages trade blows there.

Really enjoyed the weekend at the circuit. As usual at Silverstone the weather could have been better but there was some great last minute drama in both the WEC and ELMS races. The F3 races had some drama as well although the World Series 3.5 field wasn't great in quality or numbers.

The right car won the WEC race, it would have been strange for Porsche to win given their odd decision to run low downforce aero. I wonder what the real reason for that was, the drivers certainly didn't seem to know why?

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

But seriously, two teams fighting for victoryes... TWO! Change all protos to like LMP2 category cars and then get rid of the whole LMP 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,.............. And just have LMP's. Cannot be that hard, if manufacturers are whining about have to have battle with privates. GO HOME! Your not true competitors, only showing off with money, until they dont have it. Then instead for having good racing against others "smallers" lets go home. BAH... I still watch it and like racing what they bring out but... This isnt good.

Last edited:
The right car won the WEC race, it would have been strange for Porsche to win given their odd decision to run low downforce aero. I wonder what the real reason for that was, the drivers certainly didn't seem to know why?

As cost cutting measure WEC limited teams to just 2 aero packages per season, instead of the 3 we had the last couple of seasons.

Effectively Toyota is locked in with this high downforce package for the entire season, Porsche can take it's time until the Nurburgring race to develop theirs.

I'm sure the drivers understand that, but they are still frustrated by having a worst car in this race.

As cost cutting measure WEC limited teams to just 2 aero packages per season, instead of the 3 we had the last couple of seasons.

Effectively Toyota is locked in with this high downforce package for the entire season, Porsche can take it's time until the Nurburgring race to develop theirs...

I expect the real reason is Porsche took the opportunity to cut their development budget when Audi pulled out expecting they will still beat Toyota over the season.

I expect the real reason is Porsche took the opportunity to cut their development budget when Audi pulled out expecting they will still beat Toyota over the season.
I don't agree with that at all, it was customary for the too German brands to run Silverstone with preliminary package(as a guy from Porsche put it, it was the 2015 aero coupled with the 2016 mechanical), change into their Le Mans car for Spa and show the final version in Nurburgring after Le Mans.

The new rules forced their hand on what they can do.
Ultimately they did that so they didn't have to split wind tunnel time between the 2 packages.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back