Total rFactor 2 newbie questions about tracks, cars, etc.

After too many Codemasters games, I have come across rFactor 2, played the demo, and loved it!
My question is, where do I start with tracks, cars, etc. What comes with the Steam package?
Any help appreciated!

There are a handfull of paid mods (mostly from UnitedRacingDesign) but anything on steam workshop is free. Not really any "Begin here and do x,y,z" type of guides, mostly just guys like the staff/other experts here at RD who spend most of their free time with racing sim it who answer questions as they come up :)

The Steam workshop items you dont have to worry about installing, steam does that for you. There is a 60's version of Spa, with some generic 60's F1 and F2 cars, I believe there is a 60's longford and Monza as well.

Thanks for that. Is it obvious how to install mods?
Are there particularly good tracks, cars? Any good 60s GP cars and tracks that are popular?
Hey. It's really quite easy. All you do is extract the download contents in to your rfactor packages folder, open rf2 and go to content Manager and install the package there. I will happily do a Google Hangouts or Skype call and show you on my PC if that would help.

Awesome news :) best sim on the consumer market in my opinion.
Good cars and track combos depends on current skill level, I was a console Codies racer and started with Interlagos and Suzuka just because I didn't need to the learn the tracks, then I did some of the mid-difficulty cars like the GT3s, the newest cars the USF2000 and the Nissan GT500 are awesome, the Caterham is by far the best Caterham of any game/sim if you like that car :)

Still struggling! I am confused by why so many links I go to don't seem to work. I guess some of it has to do with the move to Studio 397, but, for example, I wanted to download Nordschliefe from here but clicking on the download link there just takes me to the Studio 397 forums page.

I think you are looking for this one:
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/nordschleife2-v2-01.44793/

As you allready guessed, the dead links are caused by the moved forums. When you are not sure where to find something you can use the search function in the forums aswell as they are pretty reliable.

If you are looking for 60's content you are good to go with the historic content from ISI, Longford by Woochoo, the Matra wich you can find in the workshop aswell as the Lola T70 Spyder by Crossply. There is other historic content in the works like a Le Mans version from the 60s, Charade and the Lola T280 by Pixsim, aswell as the Brabham BT44 and some WSC 1970's cars by Yoss from Apex Modding. Something that I consider pretty fun aswell, are the Gasonline Alley cars from the steam workshop. I am pretty sure that I forgot some stuff, but it's worth to lurk through the tracks and cars section on the official forums or here and to try some stuff. That will keep you busy enough. ;)

Thanks a lot, yes that was the one. I did try searching on that forum for Nordschleife, but I couldn't see the track download anywhere.
I enjoyed the GP Legends sim many years ago, and that is why I fancied some of that in rF2. I really enjoyed the EVE 1968 cars on the 1966 Monaco GP track last night. Good fun! Thanks for the additional info.

OK guys, after playing this for a few hours, I've got some more basic questions.
1) what is the pit lane speed limit on Mazda Laguna Seca? No mater what I do - except for keeping the limiter on all the way round the yellow line area - I get a penalty for speeding. I keep the limiter on till after what I think is the pit lane line. Whenever I switch it off after that line, I get a penalty. So, I have to keep the limiter on all the way round the marked yellow line area which goes a long way! Is that the way it should be? Am I misunderstanding what constitutes the pit lane?
2) I'm surprised about the huge variety in the graphical quality of cockpits. I mean the EVE GP 1960s cars have very detailed cockpits, but others like the F1 1999 ones are horrendous. I know it's down to the devs, but I'm sure a lot of these haven't changed since I played rFactor 1 many years ago!
3) I am very confused by the FFB using my G27 wheel. It seems (reasonably logically) that different settings are required for every car! Now, I know that makes realistic sense, but it's quite difficult to manage. Additionally, there are some cars that the FFB is unbearable no matter what the settings are, e.g. F1 1999. Horrible!
4) is there a 'reset to track' key available somewhere? I can't see one, and that is really useful when learning a track. For example, it is quite easy to get stuck in wires or fences at the 1960s Spa, and similar things at the Nordschleife. With a lap lasting that length of time, it is a real pain having to go back to the pit lane. Usually, that kind of option is in Difficulty settings, but the only thing i can see in rF2 is Spin Recovery, which isn't the same thing.
Any help appreciated.

As for the graphical disparities - yes like rfactor 1 its based on the mod creators. There are much fewer "top shelf" mods, but most of the ISI/S397 stuff is pretty good. Reset to track...not sure not aware of one though. FFB can be adjusted on a per-car basis and should be, again many of the mods are really good and many are...not so much. As for the speed limit its really up to the track creator and version etc etc

The F1 1999, F1 2001 and F2002 mods that you see are conversions from people who just started converting stuff from rF1 to rF2 whereas the old 60's content is official content by the devs. Next to that are the F1 1999 mods etc. based on rF1 mods with cars converted from F1 Challenge - so those models are allmost 15 years old and that will show. That's something that you will allways experience with moddable games. Modders have different skill levels, time to commit or art styles, so visuals on mods may vary. If you want to see some nice classic F1 content I can recommend http://www.**************/. FFB is a topic on it's own though, as it depends alot on the physics, tyres etc. of a mod and how well they are implemented.

I don't know wich Laguna Seca track you are using, but there are only 3rd party versions for that track wich makes me think that there went something wrong with the pit settings etc. as it usualy works on most tracks, even 3rd party content.

Regarding learning tracks: I think it's best to switch on invulnerability (one of the keys from F1-F9 ->keys to toggle assits) and I also think that there is a key to reset the car. But I need to check that in the controller settings. I guess you have to assign one. In rF1 you need to hit "a" and in GTR2 it was "e" or something. Best thing is to check your keybindings.

A few more questions, guys.
1) in the TrackMap plugin, how can I zoom in on the track map? The default is too much zoomed. On certain tracks, I can see the corner before it shows on the plugin screen!
2) also on the same plugin, what do the numbers mean in brackets in the Box Grid? The manual says it's the number of driver pit stops, but I can't make any sense of that!
3) how can I adjust the number of AI drivers down? I can see the 'add AI', but not remove option.
4) in options, what does 'save real road' mean?
5) does the AI behaviour come from the core game, or the car mod? Some AI behaviour is ludicrous!
Thanks for any help.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back