Toscana

Tracks Toscana 0.61

Login or Register an account to download this content
fastfab submitted a new resource:

Toscana - Fictional race track set in toscana, 24 pitboxes

449725Screenshotferrari458gt2toscana01711116132736.jpg

I present to you my first fictional track (before attempting to make a real track), the Toscana Autodromo.

Here is a lap around the track/

It is set in the beautiful country side of Italian Tuscany.

The track features a Hairpin, a Bankturn, two chicanes and a tunnel.
The track is a "8" that turns clockwise.
The version right now is 0.2 there is no IA and...

Read more about this resource...

Thank you. Next is... 0.3 ^^
I've been nearly 2 month now all in all, making that track. It's only 0.2 because there is so much work left to do. I'm not happy with the kerbs, I need to adjust physics in a lot of place, there is no 3d grass, no people, no camera etc... So all this will push the track slowly to v1.0. I think it would be weird if i reach quickly v1.0 and there are still important stuff missing. ^^

Very very solid start you have here. The only thing I noticed right off the bat was the resolution of the corners. You should subdivide the sharper corners a few more time to make them look smooth.

Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_toscana_0.2_10-11-116-9-32-56.jpg

Here is an example of what it should look like in wire frame.

upload_2016-11-10_9-35-44.png

Also I spotted a few PNG textures. I didn't notice any performance issues but I would advise you switch them to DDS.

Overall a great start and a very very solid circuit you got here. Nice to see someone new building stuff properly! Looking forward to updates on this!

Last edited:
Very very solid start you have hear. The only thing I noticed right off the bat was the resolution of the corners. You should subdivide the sharper corners a few more time to make them look smooth.

View attachment 159638

Here is an example of what it should look like in wire frame.

View attachment 159639

Also I spotted a few PNG textures. I didn't notice any performance issues but I would advise you switch them to DDS.

Overall a great start and a very very solid circuit you got here. Nice to see someone new building stuff properly! Looking forward to updates on this!
Thanks. You are right for the resolution of the mesh in the tights corners.
For now I only improved the mesh in the hairspin (the one with the big tree in the middle) and I plan to improve all the others. For the png textures I think there are still like 3 or 4 that I used back when I started the track, you're right I need to get rid of them definitely ^^. There is also a lot of textures without alpha saved in dx5 that i should save in a lighter dx3 format.

Thanks. You are right for the resolution of the mesh in the tights corners.
For now I only improved the mesh in the hairspin (the one with the big tree in the middle) and I plan to improve all the others. For the png textures I think there are still like 3 or 4 that I used back when I started the track, you're right I need to get rid of them definitely ^^. There is also a lot of textures without alpha saved in dx5 that i should save in a lighter dx3 format.
Dxt5 and Dxt3 won't really change performance but it can help file size. Also make sure your texture have mip maps in them. If they don't then they get made when loading and it can make loading longer than it needs to be. So far you you are doing really well with only 80 or so textures for the whole track.

I meant to ask what program you are building this in? Not that it matters I'm just curious.

Dxt5 and Dxt3 won't really change performance but it can help file size. Also make sure your texture have mip maps in them. If they don't then they get made when loading and it can make loading longer than it needs to be. So far you you are doing really well with only 80 or so textures for the whole track.

I meant to ask what program you are building this in? Not that it matters I'm just curious.
No problem, I make everything in 3dsMax and use photoshop with the Nvidia plugin to make and save the textures in DDS.

Well keep on doing what you are doing. If you ever have any questions or get stuck don't hesitate to ask!
Well, the only really big problem that I didn't manage to overcome right now is the IA lane. I tried several times, but since my track is a "8", the point next to the start line where the track goes under himself, it generate IA walls in the middle of the road that block the IA cars. I think AC use a vertical projection to generate those splines and it mess where the tunnel goes under the grid start. I don't know if the splines generated can be edited in the AC editor. Since there are more track with the same problem out there with working IA (like Suzuka for exemple), I think the problem can be overcome, but I don't know how yet... I may have to ask on the forum.

Well, the only really big problem that I didn't manage to overcome right now is the IA lane. I tried several times, but since my track is a "8", the point next to the start line where the track goes under himself, it generate IA walls in the middle of the road that block the IA cars. I think AC use a vertical projection to generate those splines and it mess where the tunnel goes under the grid start. I don't know if the splines generated can be edited in the AC editor. Since there are more track with the same problem out there with working IA (like Suzuka for exemple), I think the problem can be overcome, but I don't know how yet... I may have to ask on the forum.
Yes it is vertical projection and the boundaries are defined ONLY by valid track.

As for the line yes the boundaries can be changed in the editor. It's a total pain to do but it can be done.

Very good track, I'm a fan of good fantasy tracks, this one is good. I have low performance hardware, and I still have decent performance :)

There is one thing which bothers me though, maybe I could get used to it, but I don't know, just feels not right. I'm talking about flow of the curves. Feels like there are too many slow curves. I have been thinking a lot about three curves which goes before tunnel. That would be: 2 90degrees curves and then a hairpin to the tunnel.

It is your track and you are the boss, and I'm not complaining. But I imagine those 2 90degs curves to be smoothed out to 110 or 120degrees. And then hairpin could be much smoother, imagine inside apex right next to the wall and then exiting apex would very close to the right side wall, and then you would cary a lot off speed into a tunnel.

Very good track, I'm a fan of good fantasy tracks, this one is good. I have low performance hardware, and I still have decent performance :)

There is one thing which bothers me though, maybe I could get used to it, but I don't know, just feels not right. I'm talking about flow of the curves. Feels like there are too many slow curves. I have been thinking a lot about three curves which goes before tunnel. That would be: 2 90degrees curves and then a hairpin to the tunnel.

It is your track and you are the boss, and I'm not complaining. But I imagine those 2 90degs curves to be smoothed out to 110 or 120degrees. And then hairpin could be much smoother, imagine inside apex right next to the wall and then exiting apex would very close to the right side wall, and then you would cary a lot off speed into a tunnel.
I looooove high speed technical corners. Those that you can take at high speed but you need to angle them right and throw the weight properly to take them at high speed. :) Its hard to do though unless you study such tracks and copy some bits. But yeah, elevation change and high speed technical corners is my fav. Flat tracks with stop & go style is my least fav's.

Anyway, looks great from the pics and videos! Superb first work OP. Gonna test right away. Thank you tons for sharing! :thumbsup:

Exceptional work for a first track. Really enjoyable layout and it looks great. I'll certainly be keeping my eye out for the future updates.

On the strength of this, I hope you go on to do many more tracks. :)Thanks

fastfab submitted a new resource:

Toscana - Fictional race track set in toscana, 24 pitboxes

Read more about this resource...

Holy hot damn Fastfab! Awesome first track! Just watched the video and it looks like an awesome start for sure. Really digging the layout and so forth. Looks very challenging too with the elevated corners coming in and out of the apex. Keep up the good work dude , and thank you for creating it and sharing it with us!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back