Top Gear presenter Chris Evans steps down after just 6 episodes

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Chris Evans Top Gear Resign.png

Chris Evans has announced via Twitter his imminent departure from the "new" Top Gear presentation team ahead of filming for the second series due to begin in September.

Evans had the following to say after announcing his decision not to return for a second series of filming:

"Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough."
"I feel like my standing aside is the single best thing I can now do to help the cause."
The new format Top Gear has aired six episodes from the post Clarkson, May and Hammond era amidst much criticism from fans of the show. Evan's energetic style has seemingly failed to capture viewers imagination with many sections of the media and online forums berating the former TFI Friday presenter for his delivery style and on screen chemistry with co presenter and former Friends start Matt LeBlanc.

Chris Evans Tweet.gif

Top Gear ratings in the UK fell to a series low 1.9 million viewers for the last episode aired on Sunday night and perhaps the move by Evans could well be a blessing for the show. It is understood that current presenters LeBlanc, Rory Reid, Chris Harris, Sabine Schmitz and Eddie Jordan will continue on without Evans when season 2 begins filming towards the end of 2016. It is not yet known if the Top Gear team are looking to replace Evans or continue with a more prominent roll for one of the current line-up, however speculation on who will fill the Radio 2 hosts shoes will no doubt be plentiful in the coming weeks.

Do you think it was the right move by Chris Evans to leave Top Gear? What do you think of the new series? Who could replace Evans for season 2? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Christian Moreau

Pretty Fly (For a French Fry)
Stepping into shoes that he was never going to fill, no matter how hard he tried. Clarkson, May and Hammond were just too good, and had fantastic chemistry. A lot of the comedy stuff in the new show feels forced. It just doesn't feel as natural as before.

Officer Barbie forever my favorite. :roflmao: Here's hoping "The Grand Tour" brings some of those moments back.

I love Chris Harris though. More Chris Harris please.

Lorenzo Bonder

Wah wah.
One thing I can say.

(If confirmed) compared to what Jeremy did, it makes Jeremy the ultimate holy saint between the Top Gear lead presenters.

One does not sexually harass someone and expect to come safe and sound and undiscovered.

But back to the Top Gear matter:

The weak link has been removed. Now keep only those five AND PUSH CHRIS HARRIS AND RORY REID TO A GREATER STATUS ON THAT SHOW, HELL MAKE THEM CO-PRESENT WITH MATT THE DAMN SHOW.

Their chemistry is golden.

D

Deleted member 130869

• Deleted member 130869

I agree with you, Lorenzo. Rory's ability is displayed in Extra Gear, he could get along fine with Matt even if Chris Harris is still only given his separate bits.

Chris Evans came across as too loud and obnoxious the entire time. Jeremy Clarkson had the finesse to switch around as needed, especially noticeable until about 2009 when Top Gear was still fun. I still don't see what Eddie Jordan brings to the show, might as well have David Coulthard or Eddie Irvine there.

Frank

Premium
One does not sexually harass someone and expect to come safe and sound and undiscovered.

That is just speculation for now as he hasn't been convicted and anyone can tell a story from the 90s, no one to prove or disprove.

I think Evans would have been fine if he didn't try to be Jeremy as much, as he brings a lot of energy.

I think they should make Matt the main presenter and get him away from the script, just let him do the show however he wants it, you can see in the non scripted moments he is doing really well. I also agree on Chris Harris and Rory Reid, they got so much love for the cars.

Lorenzo Bonder

Wah wah.
That's why I said if confirmed.

But still, they need major help on the writing side and have Matt be more impromptu.

They don't know what they're missing on a more improv'd version of Matt. He's golden man, he just was a bit stiff because of writing and awkwardness of being with Chris.

All than else. More Matt and def more Chris and Rory. And def I got love for Sabine and Eddie, more time for them. We need Sabine doing car reviews man. The shot she took on the Vette (even though it's my favorite car) is the best.

Rory has grown on me a lot over the season and Chris Harris is just brilliant. I think those 2 and Matt will be a great team with Sabine stepping in occasionally with her crazy personality is all we need, Good riddance to Evans and what the hell is Jordan even doing there? looking forward to the next season now.

Not a Evans hater but glad he has stepped down, his presenting style does not fit in Top Gear.
Chris Harris and Rory Reid have got to stay, best new presenters by far. I have to agree with Jon, Eddie Jordan, what the ----. Matt I think will grow into it, Sabine I can take or leave.

Frank

Premium
That's why I said if confirmed.

But still, they need major help on the writing side and have Matt be more impromptu.

They don't know what they're missing on a more improv'd version of Matt. He's golden man, he just was a bit stiff because of writing and awkwardness of being with Chris.

All than else. More Matt and def more Chris and Rory. And def I got love for Sabine and Eddie, more time for them. We need Sabine doing car reviews man. The shot she took on the Vette (even though it's my favorite car) is the best.
I read over that part, apologies!

I definitely think the show can be as good as it ever was, they need to cut out the weeds and move on. They got a big cast now, I presume to see what works, in my opinion, they need to cut back to 2- 4 presenters / co-hosts.

Also, I think Sabine is garbage as co-host, she doesn't appeal to me, but as driver she is a big yes.

Great news i couldn't stand him or bear hearing him yell every sentence that came out of his gob any longer. What the hell was the bbc smoking on. Putting him in as the new face of top gear! Now bbc will say to chris harris. Chris please have this tremendous raise your hosting the rest of the season. But first please go bash eddie and throw him in front of this speeding lorry driven by the stig .Jolly good carry on chaps

Absolutely unbearable, that guy. How anyone ever thought he could fill Clarkson's shoes is beyond me and I'm not even a Clarkson fan.
Anyway, they should seriously consider restructuring the show a bit because new presenters need new structures that fit them and that they can work with. As others have already pointed out Harris is quite popular, knows a thing or two about driving and has experience in video presentation. That friends guy seems to have caught on quite well, too. For the humourous elements the show would benefit a lot from a third presenter for the studio talk imo.

Thank Gosh he's hopping out. There should be no "TOP GEAR" without those amazing hostesses. They were Top Gear. If they had changed the brand, Lower Gear (maybe), they should have been better. Every time I watched this New Top Gear it was impossible not to think about the old team.
I do love the cars they are showing but do not like the show, though.

Blimey

@Simberia
Finally that tryhard is gone, thankfully it only took 6 episodes. The episodes were really booring as well, the last 2 episodes I was literally like why are they even bothering, I kept skipping parts that just made me fall asleep behind the monitor.

He was awful, LeBlanc is awful as well, so terribly dull... Just there to pick up the checks, show a little enthusiasm, be silly...

Is he that dull because he's trying to distance himself from the character that made him famous?

I think they should pick up Patrick Dempsey, he has charisma and the driver cred.

Evans was pretty much the only thing in the new series that I never saw anyone saying a good thing about. Now LeBlanc, Harris and Reid would be one hell of a dream team with Eddie and Sabine coming in as needed.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.7%
  • €3001-5000