1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

TM 599XX EVO 30 Filth

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by SK, Feb 20, 2016.

1. SK

SK
    Prince with a thousand enemies. Premium Member

This is more of a PSA more than anything for anyone who is thinking of buying this rim.

If you dont use gloves with this rim you are going to have to put up with a rather disgusting build up of hand filth. The worst part is, the only way to clean it is by shaving off the fibres.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SK

SK

Just finished cleaning it. Check out the pile of human flesh
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. James Robertson

James Robertson
    Premium Member

You should try one of those little wire bristled suede brushes that people normally use for shoes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. M D Gourley

M D Gourley
    Premium Member

Thank's for the heads up as I was looking to upgrade to this wheel...driving gloves might be a must have then.

5. PicoBp

PicoBp
    #26 | HSRC - Banzaaaiii Touring Car Crew Premium Member

Not sure how long you had it, in what wheather conditions and how filthy your hands are when sitting in the rig, but personally I haven't seen anything even similar on mine, and it's in daily use.

6. SK

SK

It probably depends on your skin more than anything. Some wheel users dont get much filth build up at all, while others are just festy after a few months. I dont think its because of hygiene.

7. Sweaty hands is a partial cause to the Suede taking a dump sooner than later, If you have 100% dry hands this problem wont be as big of deal as with "hot hands"

8. fortyfivekev

fortyfivekev
    Premium Member

I have one of these wheels and don't see anything like this after a few months reasonable usage although I might be 'special' so who knows?

• Haha Haha x 1
  9. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen
    Premium Member

Sweaty hands are a common reason for that exact problem. I had it aswell on my Momo rim on my old Ecci system. Gloves are needed and also what suede was designed for.

10. It´s the suede that goes off it´s not skin tissue for most parts. Suede wears super fast don´t matter to much if you use gloves or not they still wear from the friction. there is no real cure other then get a leather or polyurethan rim. There is tape you can use when you feel you loose to much grip but essentially there is no point paying extra for a Suede rim because you need to buy a new wheel every year if you want to take advantage of the extra grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. M D Gourley

M D Gourley
    Premium Member

Unfortunately I have gone off this wheel now...lol...maybe TM needs to bring out this 30cm wheel in leather next with different branding.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. You can tape it instead of buy a new one unless the grip is on the thick side already.

Leather is nice my Momo Classic 365 mm is my oldest rim by far but has the best grip. The industry is pushing suede because it wear so fast they sell more rims. It´s impressive how easilly we fall for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PicoBp

PicoBp
    #26 | HSRC - Banzaaaiii Touring Car Crew Premium Member

Suede != Alcantara
    Don't treat them as being the same, as they are not. ;)

14. Yeah it´s not but Alcantara also wear down just not quite as fast as Suede :)

15. Enzo Fazzi

Enzo Fazzi
    Always sideways Premium Member

Toothbrush and a damp towel.

16. norbs

norbs
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 3
  17. I use a microfibre cloth and warm water as well and then I scrub it with a towel... Works fine for now.