Tires confirmed for first 4 races

It was good as Pirelli going on aggressive approach.
but i think Australia mostly be a 2 stopper than a 3 stopper.

I think we could see more 3 stoppers than you think in Australia this year. Pirelli have made the tyres a bit softer this year in the hopes of increasing the pit stops and improving the lap times (0.5 secs/lap)
Last year in Australia it was Button, Vettel, Hamilton on the podium. Both McLaren's went Soft Medium Medium and Vettel went Soft Soft Medium
you'd think that whatever laps they lose by running the super-soft instead of the soft they will just split up between the medium tyres and run SS / M / M. But if the tyres are softer they wont go as far.... could be interesting watching some teams try to stretch the tyres like Ferrari did at Montreal last year.
I can't wait for the season to start so we can see what the tyres will really be like.... :)

I think we could see more 3 stoppers than you think in Australia this year. Pirelli have made the tyres a bit softer this year in the hopes of increasing the pit stops and improving the lap times (0.5 secs/lap)
Last year in Australia it was Button, Vettel, Hamilton on the podium. Both McLaren's went Soft Medium Medium and Vettel went Soft Soft Medium
you'd think that whatever laps they lose by running the super-soft instead of the soft they will just split up between the medium tyres and run SS / M / M. But if the tyres are softer they wont go as far.... could be interesting watching some teams try to stretch the tyres like Ferrari did at Montreal last year.
I can't wait for the season to start so we can see what the tyres will really be like.... :)

On the F1 website, I saw a picture of an Orange marked tyre, anybody know what compound that is?

Ya I was thinking it could be a SS/M/M for front runners. But if they are Very quickly degrading then the teams will change to SS/M/M/SS. Also if this was true them Malaysia could be a Very Tight race in terms of Degradation with M/M/H.

Ya I was thinking it could be a SS/M/M for front runners. But if they are Very quickly degrading then the teams will change to SS/M/M/SS. Also if this was true them Malaysia could be a Very Tight race in terms of Degradation with M/M/H.

Most definitely. Malaysia, the front runners may go: H/M/H again maybe. Not sure if they would need that last stop, I think that'd be mainly for caution/safety for the tyres.

I think we could see more 3 stoppers than you think in Australia this year.
I hope not. 2-3 stops per race are ideal for the viewer in my opinion.

Another interesting fact is that despite it´s called Super Soft,
It´s still light years more harder then the tire you find on your own car.
Your sure about this? Always thought that racing tiers in general are more softer than road tires.

Do you have any link for this info Hampus?
Nope no hard link to give you right now but i am looking for one.
You can PM Jersey Tom on F1Technical, he used to work for a tire company, can´t remember the name but it ended with ..stone. Could be fire or bridge.

But it´s not that hard to realize. More loading, harder tires.
Same reason NASCAR tires are tougher and stiffer then F1 tires.

Road tires on an F1 car would turn to mush because they are way too soft to last any respectable distance.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back