Tips for racing against the AI

Hello everybody!

After spends countless hours playing Automobilista, racing against the AI, I start to understand how they behave in longer races (30 minutes or more).
In this post, I summarize some main AI behaviours, and how to configure your race options to get the best possible experience, including practice and qualifiyng sessions, enforcing pitstops, multiclass racing, and so on.

My goal is to make this post a central information point about single-racing in Automobilista, so feel free to post your own tips.

General Tips:

1 - AI Behavior

AI-controlled cars have a simplified physics, and behave differently comparing to real humans. I summarize some behaviors based on my experience racing against them. You should consider the tips below when racing single-player against the AI on your own:

• In Practice, the AI always run with full tank. In qualifying, they always run with enough fuel to run 3 laps (pit exit lap, flying lap, pit return lap) That explains why qualy times drop up to a second in qualy comparing to practice.
  • In Race, the AI will use enough fuel to complete the race. However, if a full tank is not enough to complete the race (resulting in at least 1 pit stop), they will ALWAYS start the race with full tank.
  • The AI will only make a pit stop if they run out of gas. By the time the AI run with low fuel, the simulator distributes the AI pit entering in 3 laps, in order to avoid all AI cars pit at the same lap, which would result in several cars have to wait their teammate finish his pitstop. Tip: when you a message "Your teammate is in pit", prepare yourself for pitting next lap at most.
  • When in pit stall, AI will ALWAYS change its four tyres, no matter how much they wear it; and will ALWAYS fill up the tank, no matter how much time is left for the race to end. Pit stop times can be 32 to 38 seconds, depending of the vehicle.

• Turn off Tyre Wear: The AI has very little tyre wear effect. As the race goes by, AI time laps will decrease each lap, according to fuel usage: each lap the amount of fuel decreases, the car gets lighter and the AI run faster. On the other hand, AI tyre wear is so little that seems not to be relevant in lap times. So, by the time AI cars are almost out of gas (hence, close to their pit stop), their lap times will be very close to their qualifying times, while the player lap times will increase due to his tyre wear, much more noticeable when running several laps. You can check a detailed example in this post.

Example:

Series: Endurance Brasil (MR18 and MCR2000) (download here)
    Track: Tarumã
    Qualifying lenght: 30 minutes
    Race length: 30 minutes
    Fuel Usage - 2x (with 2x fuel , MCR will race for 25 minutes before run out of gas, so a pit stop will be surely necessary) (MR18 cars can race up to 35 minutes with 2x, so they won't pit in this scenario)
    Tyre Wear - OFF (otherwise, bots will get faster each lap while you get slower each lap due to your wear tyres)

In qualifying, put enough gas in your tank to run 3 laps and to go track. When you complete your 3 laps, get back to the garage (hit ESC) and repeat the process until you feel ok with your times. Then, press Control + T to quickly finish the session.

In race, start with full tank. When you're gonna make a pitstop, fill up your tank and change all 4 tyres.

By doing this, I can guarantee you will have a close race throughout the race lenght (30 minutes), with a mandatory pit stop, in a standart pit-window of three laps.

• Agression: always use Max Aggression when using Reiza's cars (they have a very good car position awareness, specially the Stock Car Brasil -Stock V8). If you set aggression for, let's say, Medium, and run through a corner side-by-side with the AI, the opponent car will try so badly not to touch you that he will deliberaty open a little bit and end up off-track, even if you let enough space for him. On the other hand, using Max Aggression, the AI will still play fair in the aforementioned scenario, but in the edge of the track, he will stick with it and will not run offtrack.

• Session time: never skip a qualifying session end never click 'Finish Session' to go to race. It seems like the engine need the qualifying to complete all its stipulated time to proper carry on AI performance to race session. So, when you finish your qualifying, press Control + T to fast foward qualifying time, and when the clock reaches zero, then click on 'Next Session'.
2 - Multiclass racing

Tip for multi-class racing: ALWAYS do a qualifying. This way, you will split the different class in the grid, assuring that all the faster cars will be in front of the slower ones at race start. If you skip qualifying, simulator will scramble all cars, putting faster cars mixed with slower ones all over the grid. A 30 minute qualifying is recommended to assure all AI cars will do a flying lap according to its class and won't be cought in traffic. When you finish your qualifying, press Control + T to fast foward qualifying time, so you won't need to wait halp na hour to race.

3 - Race Scale and Day/Night Transition

With a race scale of 20x, each 10 minutes in a race will make the time move forward 3 hours. So, if you want to simulate day-night transition in a, for example, 40 minute race, set the race scale to 20x, and the race start time by noon (12PM).
  • 10 minutes racing will be at 3PM (you will notice the shadows start to move);
  • 20 minutes, it will be 6PM (and you will notice the golden color of the sunset upon the track and cars);
  • 30 minutes will be 9PM (headlights will be required, the light will dim gradually, to a point where the sky is almost black and you will have some hard time to find your marks);
  • 40 minutes will be midnight (the sky will be pitch black, and if the track does not have native light posts, all you can see is what your headlights can lit, and the other cars lights).

4 - Night Races
  • Racing at night can bring performance issues in some rigs, mainly due to the headlights of your opponents. But I found some parameters in the PLR file that solves the issue:

Max Headlights="2" // Max headlights visible relative to your car.

The default value is 12 cars with visible lit headlights. In my tests, I change the value to only 2 cars, so I can see headlights from on car in front and 1 can behind. Thats enough to keep the track visible enough, and I don't suffer any more performance issues.
  • Another issue when racing at night is cockpit ilumination: other cars headlights also iluminate your cockpit, making it too bright, sometimes white. To solve this, use this parameter in PLR

Headlights On Cars="0" // Headlights illuminate other cars.

The default value is 1. Set this value to 0, and headlights will iluminate only the track (tarmac, grass, signs, etc). Your opponents will still be visible but darkened, with their taill lights in highlight. And, most important, your cockpit will be dark, and you'll only see the led lights in your panel and wheel.
First Event Issue

I've noticed that in the first ever session I enter after starting AMS, the AI runs slower lap times. Then, if I quit session, go back to menu screen, and re-enter the same race (same AI%, same parameters), AI gets back to its original performance, and immediately runs 1-2 seconds faster, depending on track/car combo. After that, while AMS is still open, AI retains its best performance. But if you close AMS and open it again, the first event will experience slower AI.

[Edit - Aug 9th 2017 - the "Blue Flag Issue" has been resolved at release v1.4.5, with the new revamped AI. Now faster cars overtake slower ones easily.]

Last edited:
So can I just confirm, does the ai have tyre wear? I'm fine tunning physics for a mod I'm working on currently and adjusting tyre wear for different cars - am I wasting my time? If there is no tyre wear for AI, then surely all the adjustments I'm making are for nothing...or are they??? :)

Run test races and find out!

This is how I read the basic rundown of this thread;

1. There is AI tire wear.
2. The running theory would be that AI currently may (probably do) handle tire wear much better than a human player ever realistically could in many scenarios. From conserving tires to driving on bad ones, it seems it has very little affect on them in these many scenarios. Meanwhile in their later stages, tire wear begins to have a profound affect on most humans.

For these reasons the original post author suggests turning it off for yourself so your performance is not affected. (I personally like some still and on many fueling cars just have it on a lower timescale than fuel).

Notes: There is any number of outside factors to consider in this AI tire wear conversation. From track conditions, rubbering in, car choice, fuel capacity and loss, how its being driven, etc etc. Any number of these things can affect times,. And then always worth noting that Reiza is still working to improve the game.

I have a couple of questions for people in the know :)

Regarding Blue Flags;
When i am on an outlap, have made a mistake on track somewhere or the AI coming up is a lot faster i will often get Blue Flags.
But when the AI comes out of the Pit Lane and onto the racing line while i am on a flying lap it refuses to budge. I presume the AI does not abide by Flag Rules?
Also does having invulnerability set to ON turn off tyre wear?

yeah ik where to find it was nothing is there?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 269
It is almost all valid even in version 1.4.3.

I can list two improvements, though:

1 - The tire wear issue improves a lot, to the point you can use normal wear with hard tire cars. AI tire wear now is more on par with player, very good improvement.

That said, with wear off, the AI pace is still more constant (after all, the 'tire variable' is off the equation; AI and driver cars only gets ligther as fuel runs out, so lap times get a little improvement lap after lap in this scenario). But you can use normal tire wear and have fun with :)

2 - The aggression parameter now can be lowered (I'm using medium now), since Reiza improve side-by-side behaviour with AI cars. They do not hold or lift off as earlier; now, if you race by the book and let appropriate space, they will be by your side all the corner!

Last edited:
Ive been wasting all my time on the TTOTWC so I haven't put any real testing into the improved AI besides a short 5 race custom Mini Challenge season so I'm behind on everything. But a couple notes;

There is the two new entries in talent files as well.

TireManagement=
StartSkill=

"Added new TireManagement & AIStartSkill to driver RCD files - the lower the first value, the more the AI will wear its tires; the lower the 2nd value the more chance AI driver will bog down at the start"

And the courtesy setting should now affect blue flag situations better.

"Added function for AI to partially lift off the throttle when receiving a blue flag - their cooperation is now a function of "Courtesy" value in driver RCD files, and thus will vary from driver to driver and from series to series; they will generally be equally cooperative in practice / quali, in races they will be more cooperative in high profile series compared to smaller / historical ones"

Worth looking into for modders and talent file editors out there!!

But most of the fixes they implemented don't affect how to approach a race, they just improve the experience! Its been nice. Lots of good stuff like slower out laps and coming back to the pits post race. Cars not refueling in series they shouldnt. Etc etc. Lots of the little things that just make it more pleasant.

The blue flag parameter works in qualifying (when AI is not in his flying lap) and in race aswell (when he receives a blue flag when the top cars are about to put a lap in him).

What this parameter actually do is to make AI slower its car, in order to enhance the chances a faster car behind overtake. They do not get off the fast line tough, so faster cars can still get stuck behind it (specially in straights).

Maybe they ran out of fuel. Only five series now allows refuelling on pit (Stock Car, Boxer, Super V8, F-Ultimate and F-Extreme, the only series which support race-refuelling in real life). All the others, if AI gets out of fuel, they simply stop.

Important: if you select "All Cars, All Tracks", then everyone refuels on pit stop like before.

Another test and i found also the leaders have fuel problem...
I was running formula 69 vintage at 15 laps on Buenos Aires n9 with all set to normal, tires, fuel, etc.
must be enought fuel for 15 laps but at lap 13 or 14 the ai run out of fuel. It is possible to set the AI to use my setup?

Maybe they ran out of fuel...
Don't think so, lap 3 in Super V8, checked the replay and it seemed to just slow way too early for no reason and then after I collected his rear end he carried on as normal? Also still annoys me when you are along side them and they just drive right over on you like your not even there, let's face it, AI are pretty crap! I wish the AMS dev tools and AIW editor was made available so we could tweak these things but unfortunately it's not :(

AI are pretty crap! I wish the AMS dev tools and AIW editor was made available so we could tweak these things but unfortunately it's not :(

I desagree with that, after raising the FUELUSE on the track gbd i can run spring races 15 o 20 laps with the vintage formula without issues. And for me is the BEST AI i have ever racer against!!! Change lines on the brake zones like a human!. Maybe some tracks are better than others... thats natural, but i really enjoy it!

Hands down for this sim Renato! :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 335 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 227 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years