Time for a new bicycle. What should i get?

It is time to hang up the old BMX, its not for me anymore but what do you guys suggest I buy.

a 24 inch cruiser or a mountain bike.

What kind of bicycles are fellow members here riding?

I've got a $1000 budget so I have lots of choices.

I'm 31years old now and unless I'm riding the BMX for a pro career, I think day to day riding looks kind of silly lol!

Nice budget.

I have a Kona Dew, cheap hybrid bicycle. Very happy with it, a couple of years old now, over 2000 miles.
The only problem are thin tires (which is also one of the reasons I bought it, LOL). We have trams here, so I have to be careful not to end up in the track grooves.

If it's for commuting, i.e. city driving mostly, don't buy a mountain bike. I'd recommend something like mine (only fancier, with $1000 :p). Bigger wheels, thinner wheels, easier to go faster. No need to waste energy on wide mountain bike wheels if you're never going off road.

Go for the mountain bike but run 'city' tires which have no nobs or off road tread & along with higher pressure (50-60psi) quality tires will save a lot of wasted energy.
Go for a hard tail if it's just/mainly for commuting but it may be worth getting a suspension seat post & a good anatomically correct seat (although most designs are good these days....
You can't really go wrong with most quality brands these days but Ive gotta speak up for Giant.
Ive had my Giant ATX840 since the end of 2000 & with irreguallar maintenance, at times some fairly horrendous abuse & a LOT of km's of riding & has lasted quite well for a bike that cost just under $1200AUD.
Ive replaced the crappy Rock Shox with decent Marzzochi air sprung units a few years back & several rear derailleurs due to my own miss treatment.
Besides that it's chewed a pair of tires (Michelin's) every two years, countless tubes, it's on it's 3rd chain & 4th set of cables.
Oh, & Make sure it's got some decent disc brakes(Ive got mechanical Avid).
Once you learn to squeeze gently with two fingers rather than grab with a hand full you'll continually be impressed by how good they are!
Good luck & let us know how you get on :D

Hybrid:
449.jpg

Mountain Bike:
2011-specialized-camber-elite-mountain-bike01.jpg

That's the thing though, these tiny as paper tyres are just meh... They work on a racing bike, but on a mountain bike ? Well, barely mountain bike anyway...
Yup, very much meh, except much faster and using less energy. Kinda a plus if you commute, no? Also, more serious looking.

They're not racing bike thin, they are just thinner than standard mountain bike tires.

Found a photo of mine. That was day 1 I think, lock has been upgraded since :D
http://i.imgur.com/bK6Em.jpg

Thanks for input guys:).- do like Hybrids but would prefer wider rims and tires. We are moving to a neighborhood where our place is only a few minutes away from the University of British Columbia Endownment Land trails. There are lots of good fun trails to ride in there and we are getting a dog so I can take him/her with me.

So on that note a mountain bike will be my choice and I will buy a set of rims with street tires mounted for the days I feel like riding to my neighborhood that I used to live at. I'll just do the swap before I head out:).

I will be checking out bike shops this weekend.

I just have standard Dutch bike. They're known for their rigidity ;).
http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/handmade-city-bicycles/workcycles-opafiets

The 8 gears version should provide everything you need with the least amount of maintenance for at least the coming 10 years..

And yep I know it sounds stupid for nearly anyone except Dutchies that Cycling is a fun workout you can do everyday.. Americans mainly see cycling as a sport rather than relaxing..

Just to show you:
This is the cycles parking lot in front of the Groningen train station:

Checked out some bike shops yesterday and I've decided I want a Rocky Mountain. I just don't know which model, quite a few to choose from. I'm going to go during the week to take them for a spin and make my decision.

Rocky Mountain is a local company and I may just deal with them directly to save some money.

Hehe uh got a little sidetracked, I ended up with a car instead of a bike. I have to hold off for a while for a bicycle.
I still want one though.

I guess I will be riding my girlfriends pink beach cruiser to save money hahahaha!!! ( joking!):)

I would recomend a hardtail mountain bike, full suspension bikes are nice in the woods but are useless on the road.

I mean you cant get out of the saddle when pushing hard up a hill, the bikes suspension twists when you try to rock from side to side plus its harder to find a real (pace) rhythm on the road.

Specialized and Orange make some of the best bikes you will ever ride :)
full47018.jpg

full48134.jpg

Motorbike?

Oh dude don't get me started on that! lol. I'd like to have a GSX-R 400. anything bigger in displacement is too much bike for me.

I would recomend a hardtail mountain bike, full suspension bikes are nice in the woods but are useless on the road.

I mean you cant get out of the saddle when pushing hard up a hill, the bikes suspension twists when you try to rock from side to side plus its harder to find a real (pace) rhythm on the road.

Specialized and Orange make some of the best bikes you will ever ride :)

I like Specialized! I had a Stumpjumper when I was younger. I'm going to choose between Rocky Moutain or Specialized. I'm getting hardtail for sure, I was never a fan of suspension frames.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 214 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 272 13.4%