Thruxton

Tracks Thruxton 2.02

Login or Register an account to download this content
When done properly grass is setup in at least 3 layers of world detail. Kunos does 3 layers and I experimented with 5 on NJMP and it works well.

Basically it works like this. Say you have 30,000 grass objects. Layer 5, 4, and 3 (max, high, med) each get 10k objects. Then these are set with LOD numbers so as you drive the grass "crawls" loading each step as you get closer. Some tracks like RBR actually have some bad pop-in of the grass if you look for it. Doing this not only helps FPS at max detail but it gives the lower setting users some grass to see too.

As for why 3D grass. When done properly it really adds to the depth of the ground. When done wrong it really can ruin the overall look of the track.

Here is an example of my latest attempt at grass. I'll take a look at your textures James and see what can be done without having to remap all the 3D objects.
Screenshot_ks_ferrari_488_gt3_njmp_lightning_8-1-117-18-31-42.jpg

Thanks Lilski, that would be great - I have it set up on 2 world detail layers so there is a bit of scope to vary the textures a bit without too much hassle. There is currently only one texture slightly altered for long and short grass....

Thanks for the update, I really like Thruxton. The Abarth 500 AC is great fun here, it's like threading the eye of a needle when full throttle through Goodwood and Church!

I came here to mention the grass but people beat me to it :p I hope with some help from LilSki it can be improved a bit (some sun angles can make the grass look a bit odd atm.)
Also this texture annoyed me in the previous version and I noticed it in this version as well, as you drive over it, it looks like a mesh pattern on the darker surface (the way it repeats I guess.)
thruxton.jpg

Could the mesh do with some more noise? People more sensitive to this or with better equipment should comment but to me it seemed like there was less going on through my wheel (when not going over any larger bumps or undulations) than on Kunos tracks for example.

Really glad you have updated this track again. I hope to see it continue, it is a great little circuit.
Here's a lap chasing a friend in the Abarth

I normally dont comment much on tracks, but I thought this was pretty good for its 1.0 state, look forward to improvements. Been since the Toca ps1 days since I drove this track. Thank you.

it looks like a mesh pattern on the darker surface
Thanks for pointing this out - I hadn't noticed this so will investigate
Could the mesh do with some more noise?
I'm also looking into this as I'm going to randomly subdivide the physical mesh in the same way Kunos do their tracks so will see about adding some more subtle noise at the same time - although I'm told the track is now fairly smooth IRL.

hi. after the first slow tight right-left hander, there is a mid-speed right hander downhill, inside with a high curb. I dont know if Im dreaming, but I almost always hit the curb altough I feel and I see that I shouldnt; that I shouldve missed it. the track have other high curbs but it only happens with this one. If I take the corner tight, but not so tight to actually touch it, yet I usually hear the sound that i did. and when I take it even tighter to hit it, it feels I hit it more than I believed I would. its like if the curb was phisically more into the corner than I see it. It sounds unplausible, but i dont know the track editor works, so Im asking if it could be the case or Im crazy. I drove the FXX K btw, which sits low, okay, but, again, did not happen with any other curb. with those, you get what you see. cheers

UPDTATE: above theres a video with the abarth. you can clearly here the sound of something happening in that corner, but he is far from the curb. can it be a hole in the road or smthng?

Last edited:
Bit of an odd AI glitch - off the start the ones nearest the pit wall accelerate off the line fine but then at the end of the pit wall they kamikaze left and it ends up with a huge accident !!

Wonderful track, looks very nice. Wasn't familiar with Thruxton's layout until a tried this. Very fun, my kind of track. :)

I forgot to mention that once while I was near the S/F, fast and hugging the pit-wall, I must have hit a bit of the 50mph limiter zone because my car decelerated violently for a moment. Check and see if it overlaps onto the course?

This mod not getting the recognition it deserves. Absolutely great work visually IMO.

But could the AI line get some update? After revamped AI in Assetto Corsa 1.14, they go offtrack quite a lot. Seems to be always same few corners.

Last edited:
This mod not getting the recognition it deserves. Absolutely great work visually IMO.

But could the AI line get some update? After revamped AI in Assetto Corsa 1.14, they go offtrack quite a lot. Seems to be always same few corners.
Thanks! Not had time lately, or even checked out 1.14, but will take a look at the AI when I get a chance...:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back