1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

Thrustmaster TS-PC review (some sort of)

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Boby Kim, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +339
    In front of me: the Thustmaster TS-PC wheel. Regarding photo's and videos, please check the World Wide Web as there are enough material on these matters.

History:

My first racing wheel was the Thrustmaster Force feedback Racing wheel. After getting sucked into racing i decided to switch to the Logitech G27 with those hefty looking pedals and the fancy H Shifter. Throughout the years it served me well. The problem: the helical gear noises during kerb riding. So i switched over to the T500.
    Using the T500 for a year, during a race suddenly i saw smoke coming out of the base. In-mediately i ripped all cables and had my fire extinguisher ready. I sent the T500 to TM and received a completely new base. I used this new base for about two years and now its falling apart in two categories:
    First: during races there a sudden complete power loss
    Second (which has nothing to do with the first one), during a close inside inspection i saw hefty cracks on the belt...)

Time for a new wheel and here it is...the TS-PC

Okay, lets get the most obvious question out of the way: "How is it?"
    The answer: "I think its great".

Base:

The base is cable free:thumbsup:. At the back there are several input connections:
    - power
    - USB Cable
    - a TM shifter
    - pedals input (Only TM based pedals with that telephony thingy at the end)

Next i noticed the outside build quality: the bottom and top are made out of metal. The side and front out of plastic.
    At the back there is a tiny fan. When the wheel is plugged in and i just make a small steer input the fan starts blowing. It is not quiet, neither loud. There is a pretty air flow at the back when i put my hand in front of the fan. It seems there is enough airflow being sucked through the base sides (which are covered with metal mesh:thumbsup:) through the internals and out to the back.

**EDIT**
    Just finished an hour race with AMS. The TM FFB setting was at 80%.
    The fan blew for about five minutes after the race. Which is a massive improvement over the T500 which cooled for nearly twenty minutes. The air itself never went warm during the race. To me that is a very good sign. Seems that TM did a good job concerning the cooling of the parts.

Wheel:

Its an open steering wheel. The grip is made out of alcantara (or at least some sort of) and is thicker the TM 28 leather wheel i used previously. But....some hippie at TM decided to overload it with terrible play mobile colours:cautious:
    **EDIT** around the buttons are stickers placed. Those stickers have the fancy colours, which you can remove by simply pull the stickers from the wheel. What is left are the coloured numbers on the buttons.

Talking about wheels and their weight:
    Standard TM T500 wheel: 1010 grams
    The TM 28 leather wheel: 1051 grams
    The open TS-PC wheel: 884 grams
    (all weighted by a Tefal kitchen thingy which can be off a few grams. Please do not kill me for that)

Power supply:

Next there is a heavy power supply in the shape of...a turbo. Maybe the round model has some advantage in delivering power but in short: its ugly as hell. Luckily its stuffed away behind my seat:thumbsup:. Its quit heavy and it will do the job i guess
    There is a downside on the power supply: it comes with a very short power cable (the cable that you stick into the power supply and the wall power outlet). It only reaches half a meter. I used the power cable from my T500 (got dozens of them). I guess that will not have a negative influence but then again...im just a PC user, not a technical hardcore nerd (wel...a bit)

Pedals:

Well...there are none! Im still using the T500 pedals, stick the telephone thingy into the back of the base and they work.

FFB:

Okay, you managed to struggle through my bad grammar text and finally you arrived the the hardcore subject: HOW IS THE FFB?
    To answer that, let go back to the history: I noticed a huge step going from the G27 to the T500. I dare to say that i feel the same step going up from the T500 to the TS-PC.
    I tested the wheel with:
    - AMS: Porsche - Ftruck - Super V8 - Mini
    - AC: GT3 cars
    - rF2: Endurance mod
    - R3E: Well...i skipped as i had to retune the FFB which i didn't like to do.

I used all T500 settings to have the best comparison.
    It feels more direct...say what?:O_o:. Well, now you come across the language barrier. I cant explain in english the difference in FFB feeling as FFB is all emotion:inlove:
    The FFB is more present. There is more feedback regarding FFB...thingies like kerbs, track bumps, slipangle. BUT(!) this is HIGHLY subjective! It depends on too many factors to be objective. Things like: the game itself, ingame FFB settings, TM FFB settings and your own personal FFB feel.

Price:

I bought the wheel for 550 euros. No pedals, just a base and a wheel. So i guess TM redesigned the internals to higher quality. The wheel comes with two years of manufacturer warranty which is very nice!

To buy or not to buy...

For me this is a nice upgrade from the T500. However, i had some nasty issues with the T500. The text above is all based on a few hours of testing. I cant say anything about on how the wheel will behave on long term. But i have the two years warranty so at least im safe the coming two years. Check the warranty in your country as it may be different than in the Netherlands.

Bee out:thumbsup:.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 20
  2. maxipolo

maxipolo
    Premium

Ratings:
    +34
    thanks for the post

my next will be this one (but only the base if its possible) or the csl - I'm not sure yet

3. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +339
    Normally i would have waited say half a year or so to see how the base would stand during time before buying it. But as my T500 crippled and i needed my racing fix, i jumped onto it.
    I will update this thread as time passes. And i wont spare the wheel at all during my races.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rodent

Rodent
    Premium

Ratings:
    +242
    Cheers Boby, should my t300 die on me again I might just invest in a TS-PC rim, the rim doesn't look like it offers much in the way of features over the old F1 rim so I'd probably give that one a miss. Though great to hear you can remove those horrible stickers.

5. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0

Ratings:
    +12
    Owner of a brand new TS-PC Racer here :)
    Regarding the TS-PC open rim I can say that - if you drive lms/f1/gt3 cars - it is as functional as the alcantara 599xx one, and much less toysh than the honest old (and glorious) thrustmaster f1 rim,
    I am not too worried about the coloured labels (something similar exists irl).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodent

Rodent
    Premium

Ratings:
    +242
    Colors are terrible, but the F1 rim offers alot more functionality than the 599xx wheel, the TS-PC wheel doesn't seem to offer the advantage of the F1 rim, nor the looks of the 599xx. :)

7. Pär Öqvist

Pär Öqvist

Ratings:
    +111
    Just get a vr headset. Always get the correct look then its all about the grip. One thing that is better with the old rim is the rotaries is on the side rather then in front.

8. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0

Ratings:
    +12
    I have operated the 599xx for quite a year and, especially for its slightly larger size compared to standard gte t300 wheel, it is effective and quite beautiful
    Now I operate the Ts-Pc racer open rim and IMHO (apart from subjective aestethic aspects) there is no reason to re-attach my 599xx
    In case of drif/rally stages both above rims are not the perfect solution....
    :)
    about f1 rim, IMHO, no time to push such big number of keys during race :-D

9. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +339
    I did a two hour race with rF2 @ Sebring with the Corvette GT3. TM setting was at 80% force. During the whole two hours i felt no loss of FFB. I can assure you that after about one and a half hour i wasn't sharp any more and my shoulder started to ache again:cautious: but still, i did not feel any loss. After the two hour race (in which i really gave everything i had including hefty oversteer corrections) the air being blowed out of the back never went warm. Directly after the race the fan blew for another five minutes and it stopped.
    So far im very happy with this new wheel.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mick Aspinall

Mick Aspinall
    Premium

Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Boby, I am thinking of upgrading from a T500 to the Ts-Pc and was wondering if when mounted the wheel center is the same height as the T500. I currently use a Obutto R3volution and find the height of the wheel is correct for me if set just over its minimum level so I have very little scope to lower the base.

11. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +339
    I would not dare to say if it matches the exact position. After the swap my guess is that its close together. I recommend downloading the PDF's from TM support site so u can compare both wheels.