Thrustmaster TS-PC RACER Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition officially announced

Rennes, January 11, 2018 — Following the Ferrari 250 GTO Wheel Add-On and T80 Ferrari 488 GTB Edition, the third product unveiled by Thrustmaster to celebrate Ferrari’s 70th anniversary is the TS-PC RACER Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition racing wheel. It features high-performance technologies which seamlessly work hand-in-hand with the stunning 488 Challenge Edition wheel.

Tailor-made for competition

A truly exceptional product, the TS-PC RACER Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition has been designed with fans of the legendary Prancing Horse automaker in mind: PC gamers looking for performance, quality and realism. The racing wheel replicates that found in the 488 Challenge, the most powerful car in the Ferrari one-make series history thanks to its turbocharged engine. The end result is a 9:10 scale replica (12.6”/32 cm in diameter) of the real 488 Challenge wheel, with hand-stitched wrapping made from the same Alcantara® material used on genuine Ferrari wheels. As seen with Thrustmaster’s recent Ferrari 70th anniversary releases, the TS-PC RACER 488 Challenge Edition boasts advanced onboard pieces of equipment of impeccable quality: a faceplate crafted of black brushed anodized metal, two 5.5”/14 cm tall sequential metal paddle shifters, two D-pads with push function, two metal rotary switches with push function, and eight action buttons. That’s no less than 25 programmable functions in total!

To put an extra bit of shimmer on this crown jewel, Thrustmaster has incorporated 15 LEDs into the wheel – a first for the brand – to serve as a tachometer, giving their drivers yet another decisive advantage in competitions.

A motor base that combines power and nuanced performance

To maximize their racing performance using the TS-PC RACER Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition racing wheel, virtual racers can rely on the wheel’s numerous powerful features:
• Brushless 40-watt motor. The powerful motor generates precise effects and provides incredible velocity – from long stall curves (STALL mode) to super-responsive
zigzags (DYNAMIC mode).
• Motor Cooling Embedded system. Avoid overheating and optimize noiseless operation. (patent pending)
• Field Oriented Control (F.O.C.) algorithm. Ensure surgical precision without losing power, even with intense torque demands. The built-in algorithm dynamically optimizes
the onboard H.E.A.R.T (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) system and its 16-bit resolution (65,536 values).
• Turbo Power unit. This specially-designed external power supply, which features a toroidal-shaped body with a finless design, provides an impressive 86% efficiency
(with just 14% heat dissipation), along with a jaw-dropping 400 watts of peak power!
• Mixed belt-pulley and gears system. This system, along with an axle mounted on metal ball-bearings, allows for extremely smooth and silent operation.
• Sturdy attachment system. The wheel base is compatible with all mounting surfaces (desks, 'racing cockpits', etc.) for guaranteed stability when racing.

373023_1.jpg

This wheel is fully compatible with Thrustmaster’s unique ecosystem of PC racing products* – for virtually limitless customization possibilities.

* Sold separately

The TS-PC RACER Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition racing wheel will be available at the beginning of February 2018, at a suggested retail price of £599.99/€649.99 (taxes included) or $699.99 (taxes excluded).

373023_4_0.jpg
373023_5.jpg

373023_6_1.jpg

373023_7_0.jpg

Yes, they use the same 6 holes 60mm pattern, but with a new adapter it would be probably possible to use also the 4 new screws to get a firmer mount (at least with flat wheels).

Upvote 0
This post may be unpopular with TM fanboys, but its objective and subjective cirtisism of the motorbase description which I find annoying:

• Brushless 40-watt motor. The powerful motor generates precise effects and provides incredible velocity – from long stall curves (STALL mode) to super-responsive
zigzags (DYNAMIC mode).

40 watts is not powerful. But 40w = cheap motor. RC motors, which is roughly equivalent in size, peak at around 20 times that for the higher spec models.
Had they instead written that they chose a 40w motor because it optimizes the FFB settings in various games, then I'd be impressed instead of sceptic.

• Motor Cooling Embedded system. Avoid overheating and optimize noiseless operation. (patent pending)
Why in the world would you need to patent pend anything that can be solved with a good quality fan? The problem that current fans in wheelbases have is that they're ****. Too small and rides on bushing in some cases. Upgrade and they'll last forever. If the motor still overheats with a fan, then the motor is garbage or unsuitable for the task. Again, ask the RC community, they know about this inside out.

• Field Oriented Control (F.O.C.) algorithm. Ensure surgical precision without losing power, even with intense torque demands. The built-in algorithm dynamically optimizes the onboard H.E.A.R.T (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) system and its 16-bit resolution (65,536 values).

What exactly does this algorithm actually optimize? A HallEffect sensor is pretty much what is it.

• Turbo Power unit. This specially-designed external power supply, which features a toroidal-shaped body with a finless design, provides an impressive 86% efficiency
(with just 14% heat dissipation), along with a jaw-dropping 400 watts of peak power!

Its a powersupply, not a world beater. I couldn't care less if its toroidal-shaped or a brick and that it peaks at 400w. Or 500w. Or 600w. It just needs to work.

• Mixed belt-pulley and gears system. This system, along with an axle mounted on metal ball-bearings, allows for extremely smooth and silent operation.
Gears and silence are two words that dont correlate. My G27 is a perfect example of this. Yes I know a G27 and this cant really be compared, but gears are noisy no matter what application they're used. Helical to a lesser extent.

• Sturdy attachment system. The wheel base is compatible with all mounting surfaces (desks, 'racing cockpits', etc.) for guaranteed stability when racing.

Good, but should be a foregone conclusion in this price bracket.

Now, look, I know this post seems negative, but before you shell out 700$ or 600 euros, ask yourself if there's better alternatives out there for that price. TM midrange wheels (T300 f.x.) are great wheels for the price, a price that just keeps on dropping.
What is a good alternative for that price?

Upvote 0
Fanatec is about the only other alternative in that price bracket really. DD wheels are quite a bit higher and the G29 is not worth it. Personally, I'd go for a Fanatec if I were shopping for a 700$ wheel. If my budget were 300$, then a T300 all the way.

Upvote 0
Fanatec is about the only other alternative in that price bracket really. DD wheels are quite a bit higher and the G29 is not worth it. Personally, I'd go for a Fanatec if I were shopping for a 700$ wheel. If my budget were 300$, then a T300 all the way.

yes and cry like all 2.5 csw user that it has trouble in game, FFB doesn't work.....
Thrustmaster is the king for plug and play :)

Upvote 0
Next logical step would be Accuforce. Fanatec is way too expensive. A base plus rim cost about 1200 euro's...i'd go accuforce for that money.
How is it €1200?! The base is €550 and BMW rim is €300, that’s €850 plus shipping which would put it at around €900. Even with the universal hub, max is €1100.

You can get a package with wheel, rim, pedals and shifter for around the same price an Accuforce will cost. Don’t forget the Accuforce V2 is €1300 before tax, shipping is $150 which is also taxed and then you will pay a currency conversion fee too.

I got one in the BF sales, the $999 price to buy in the UK was actually £1130 in the end with an angle mount (which the V2.5 comes with as standard) which is circa $1600, over 50% more than the advertised price.

I’d still recommend an Accuforce DD over Fanatec non-DD if you have the budget and don’t need console support because it’s a lot of money either way but the AF V2 is a fair chunk more.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back