Thrustmaster T300RS Review

I have asked for a replacement, hopefully it's a good one when it eventually arrives. So far I have loved the wheel and if only for the quiet motor its a upgrade. The faulty one looks like it was built in April 2015 so they are obviously still having issues, but it can happen to any mass produced plastic toy.

I was considering a more expensive wheel it's not the cost that stopped me, its that I would rather spend the money on other things.

My philosophy with sim racing is that when all said and done it does not matter how much money you spend, it still is not the same as driving a car in the real world. Wheels, pedals, motion simulator's etc are just very expensive toys that us boys like to buy. The other limiting factor is the sim/game itself and the information that is giving you. As it looks like with Assetto Corsa they have just changed the rear of the car and also the FFB, if it was a true simulation they would be fixed values. Most of it is guess work and a close approximation of what you expect to feel and that is why I don't feel the need for servo wheels etc, you are still fundamentally sat in front of your PC pretending.

Upvote 0
But in the end the most important thing is to have fun, yes probably it never be the same as it is real but whatever hardware you buy it is still much cheaper safer and accesible than the real. If you get as much immersion as possible and you feel like you do it irl it does not realy metter how accurate it is.

Upvote 0
And the wives/girlfriends or boyfriends (got to be PC)just shake their heads and smile. As long as we enjoy it and get to escape the daily grind,then it's got to be a good thing.That buzz you get when you turn on your PC and load up your favourite sim is priceless.It's would be great to have all that top gear,but would we enjoy it anymore.If I had to go back to my DFGT,I think I would be fine with it.As long as I feel the slip and the brakes lock I'm cool.:cool:

Upvote 0
I sold my DFGT on ebay last week as I thought I wont be needing that again. I've had 4 days not driving on my PC and it's surprising how much you miss it. I could do with old faithful right now.

Upvote 0
I sold my DFGT on ebay last week as I thought I wont be needing that again. I've had 4 days not driving on my PC and it's surprising how much you miss it. I could do with old faithful right now.
Ouch that hurts mate.When my T300 went kaput,I'd seen a DFGT in CEX the day before for 58 quid.So instead of being patient and returning the T300 and waiting for a replacement, I got my money back(Argos),and went and got the DFGT.And here I am a month into the G27.The money I've wasted in my life would of got 10 Accuforce wheels!!.Oh well such is life,I'll keep the g27 until it drop's or I do.Trust me,it will be worth the wait when you get it back.You like tinkering,so I'm sure you could find something to take your mind of it.How about starting a mod.I'd love to see the lotus t98 skin JPS logo and all lol.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Similar here, I still have my DFGT as backup after I got my G27 almost 2 yrs ago, and didn't have plans of letting it go either when I had plans of getting a T300. Oh well.

Upvote 0
Those Logitech wheels do seem to be durable.I know they are not state of the art,but they do the job.I tend to like subtle ffb,so it doesn't matter to me that the g27 is a little down on power compared to the 300.It gives enough feedback for me,and it has good pedal's and a stick.The only minor downside for me is the rattling. I would love one of those F1 wheels that fit the 300 though.

Upvote 0
I guess it is different for every person.. I brought g27 in May this year and only after a month I wanted to upgrade then I got t300 about month ago and now I own both and Got adapter and fanatec gt wheel attached on the t300 and still want to upgrade to CSW or Accuforce :) In the meantime I got CSS SQ shifter. And I desperatly want the rift but waiting for the CV1.

Upvote 0
I'm great at keeping backup wheels because I'm terrible at selling anything on. However since I've needed to RMA my GT2, T300 and T500 the fact that I always have a reserve wheel is nice. I've never had any problems with my Logitech wheels, although my G25 is definitely not as smooth/tight after 6 years hard use than it was when new :)

My original T300 (launch model) was one with the clunk defect (seems to have been a bad batch) and was RMAed within a week. Trouble is, I'd enjoyed the T300 so much in that week that when I plugged the G25 back in to my PC I found myself not interested in simracing with it and packed it away again. Instead I ended up lugging my PC downstairs to use the T500 in my console rig while I waited for the T300 to be back in stock for my replacement. That was actually fun, since it was the first time I'd seriously used the T500 on the PC and after getting used to it I enjoyed the experience more than expected. Yes, I slightly prefer the T300's agility, but the T500 is a fine wheel too.

I really should sell my DFGT, G25 and Fanatec GT2/CSPv1, and just keep the two Thrustmaster wheels, but I know I won't. I know I don't fully trust Thrustmaster robustness, but the trouble is that I need the full PS4 compatibility and the Thrustmaster wheels really are the best option for PC+PS4 right now.

Upvote 0
Decided to get my money back and have just received my T300 GTE from a different retailer with a saving of £50.00. It was built in June 2015 so hopefully the issues are sorted.

May have been a blessing in disguise. Nearly 2 weeks without track time has been a nightmare though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Decided to get my money back and have just received my T300 GTE from a different retailer with a saving of £50.00. It was built in June 2015 so hopefully the issues are sorted.

May have been a blessing in disguise. Nearly 2 weeks without track time has been a nightmare though.
I'm sure your misses understands that you have some catching up to do:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Finally had a chance to do some running with the GTE base and wheel and also my F1 rim. It does feel like this is from a different batch. The way the wheel locking nut engages with the rim is much more positive and as such there is less play with the whole steering column. It is also a lot quieter and smoother when self calibrating. For now I am very happy happy!

Upvote 0
Finally had a chance to do some running with the GTE base and wheel and also my F1 rim. It does feel like this is from a different batch. The way the wheel locking nut engages with the rim is much more positive and as such there is less play with the whole steering column. It is also a lot quieter and smoother when self calibrating. For now I am very happy happy!
good news, sounds like Thrustmaster is doing the same as with the T500RS: Quietly improving the weaker components, reducing failure possibilities, and hopefully also getting their QC in order.

Saying that, my T300RS from December (which was an RMA replacement of my original launch T300RS) is still going strong and feels great. I needed to tighten up the bolts in the quick release recently but other than that I'm a happy user of this wheel.

Upvote 0
Did Thrustmaster print a "V2" or similar on the base? I'd like to be able to see if it is a revision or not before buying.

Upvote 0
Did Thrustmaster print a "V2" or similar on the base? I'd like to be able to see if it is a revision or not before buying.
I have not seen anything on the unit itself, but the outer cardboard box has a sticker with a build date on it, I would surmise the serial numbers would be sequential also. You would just hope as the time in production increases problems are ironed out as with other manufactured goods. Although you may just be unlucky, I doubt they will ever admit if there has been a issue or if you only hear about it when us cry babies moan when something goes wrong.

I had another good session Monday night and it definitely feels of a more solid construction. Loving my F1 wheel actually on mods like the FR3.5 in AC.

Upvote 0
I have not seen anything on the unit itself, but the outer cardboard box has a sticker with a build date on it, I would surmise the serial numbers would be sequential also. You would just hope as the time in production increases problems are ironed out as with other manufactured goods. Although you may just be unlucky, I doubt they will ever admit if there has been a issue or if you only hear about it when us cry babies moan when something goes wrong.

I had another good session Monday night and it definitely feels of a more solid construction. Loving my F1 wheel actually on mods like the FR3.5 in AC.
Please refrain from mentioning the F1 wheel,I'm green with envy lol.

Upvote 0
i bought the g29 but have been thinking have i made a mistake not getting the t300rs??? i think i can still return it to amazon. would you guys recommend doing this and getting the wheel and the upgraded pedals?? i assume that getting it now from amazon it would be from the newer batch of wheels

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back