Tracks Thomson Road Grand Prix - Singapore

Did some texture work this morning, in between races :rolleyes:

Next job is to UV map, bake and texture the timing building on the right.

Screenshot_honda_s800_rsc_thomson_6-12-116-7-59-48.jpg

Screenshot_honda_s800_rsc_thomson_6-12-116-8-0-38.jpg

Screenshot_honda_s800_rsc_thomson_6-12-116-8-0-7.jpg

Fair point, maybe it does need beefing up a bit, but from what I have read, all of the "race related buildings" (timing buildings, pits, officials' building) were built each year for the race weekend and then torn down again :confused:

Everything seemed to change each year between '61 and '73 :O_o:
img0008%201.jpg

img0009.jpg

img0050.jpg

img0018%201.jpg

img0020%201.jpg

The pits were especially "temporary", being made from bamboo poles and corrugated iron roofs :O_o:

I know! It's mad to think that Grand Prix races were held here right up until 1973 :confused:
It had lamp posts, bus stops, telegraph poles right on the edge of the track, no run-off areas, in fact a lot of the track was skirted by 3 foot wide concrete monsoon drains and ditches :O_o:

"Schuppan was leading Malcolm Ramsay's Birrana when Schuppan's March kicked up some stones, puncturing Ramsay's fuel tank and covering him in petrol. Malcolm soldiered on until the pain of the petrol burning his balls forced him to retire. ”
— Angus Lamont, mechanic for John MacDonald

[Quote from the 1973 Grand Prix, when men were men :thumbsup:]

I know! It's mad to think that Grand Prix races were held here right up until 1973 :confused:
It had lamp posts, bus stops, telegraph poles right on the edge of the track, no run-off areas, in fact a lot of the track was skirted by 3 foot wide concrete monsoon drains and ditches :O_o:

"Schuppan was leading Malcolm Ramsay's Birrana when Schuppan's March kicked up some stones, puncturing Ramsay's fuel tank and covering him in petrol. Malcolm soldiered on until the pain of the petrol burning his balls forced him to retire. ”
— Angus Lamont, mechanic for John MacDonald

[Quote from the 1973 Grand Prix, when men were men :thumbsup:]

I guess that's where the expression "great balls of fire" came from :laugh:

The pit area was down at the Range Hairpin, just before you turned right back on to the main Thomson Mile straight. I can't find any clear photos of the pit entry but aerial photos and transcriptions suggest that the drivers entered the pits by going straight ahead at the Range Hairpin and then they had to do a U-turn to go back up to the pit area (the little wooden shelters!)
img0018.jpg

In this photo, the pit area is down in the bottom right of the image (the white line across the road is the pit exit line). So the cars would approach from the top, and instead of going round the 180° bend in the road, they would go straight on along Old Upper Thomson Road, do a sharp 180° turn where the old and new road met, and then go back up to the pits.
pits_DP.jpg

I have draw the route I think they took on this topographical map, in green.

This photo also seems to direct the drivers straight on at the hairpin:
JD9qouf.jpg

I think the paddock area was around here too, on the left as you got to the hairpin. So much guesswork, but hey, at least my version can't be wrong :roflmao:

They are definitely race driven without Pit Stop.
Refuel, change tires etc.
The boxes were intended only to repair and prepare the start.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post :redface:

I thought you were saying "How can they have a race if there are no pits?!", hence me explaining where the pits were :rolleyes:

Did some 15 laps on the track yesterday, great little track in slower cars (drove tuned AE86 and Stage 1 E30 M3) Looking forward to the next update :)

Thanks very much. I have had some great races withe the Lotus 25, the Porsche 718 RS D60 and the Honda S800 RSC, so yes, I agree, it is more suited to older or lower-powered cars, which makes the decision to scrap the race in 1973 understandable.

I have even decided not to model the storm drains in the "run off areas" because although historically accurate, they make it impossible to rejoin the race as they just eat you up whole!

Maybe that is good decision, I have been always fan of punishing things, but maybe some people wouldn't like that kind of a challenge :D It would be similar to getting a puncture, maybe Kunos are right not adding that.

I'm really looking forward for race version of S800 - it should be awesome.

But I drove 917/30 there a couple of times, it was interesting ! :D I think track fits any type. Maybe just modern race cars feels a bit weird, but I think modern street and hyper cars fits too.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 300 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%