This is a Closed Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. A closed beta is either in-house, or invite only. An open-beta is open to the general public, which this clearly is. The fact you have to pay to participate does not make it 'closed'.

The very definition of an open beta means it is open to the public without any type of restriction. You don't pay for an open beta. The fact that you have to pay does make it a closed beta. At the very least it makes it a preorder beta, which is still no "open."

For the millionth time... You are paying for the game in advance, with access to the beta test. If you don't like the beta, you can have a refund. Effectively it costs you nothing to try it.

Why do so many people have a bug up their ass about a few £/$/€ for a game that will last ages, with the opportunity to try it early with an option of a refund?

Sounds perfectly good to me.

The very definition of an open beta means it is open to the public without any type of restriction. You don't pay for an open beta. The fact that you have to pay does make it a closed beta. At the very least it makes it a preorder beta, which is still no "open."
I think you confound "Open beta" and "Free beta", only for the second there are no restriction (or maybe number of licence available).
For an "Closed beta", testers are selected by various means at the discretion of the developer.
That is an "Open Beta" anybody can participate after purchase ;)

I agree with TS. Closed beta means limitations, for example in keys, or invites only. I interpreted "open beta" as "demo with the purpose of tracking bugs to solve them before release". Same with that e-mail from racedepartment, that I now solely interpret as an advertisement (you have to pay for a product).

Downloaded and installed for nothing and feeling screwed a bit, so I guess that's why TS is making the point that it's not an open beta: to prevent others from the same feeling.

He's right, it is a closed beta. There's no such thing as a "free beta", that's completely made up. If it were true there would be a multitude of "free betas" available, but there isn't. Open or closed beta, go look it up. It is closed for the single fact that you must pay. This is a restriction. If you have money falling from the sky in your backyard, awesome for you. No pay = no play. Restricted. Most of you are blinded by your fanaticism for the company.

ISI is promoting this as an open beta. It's blatant false advertising. And you people are even making up new terminology to defend it.

For the millionth time... You are paying for the game in advance, with access to the beta test. If you don't like the beta, you can have a refund. Effectively it costs you nothing to try it.

Why do so many people have a bug up their ass about a few £/$/€ for a game that will last ages, with the opportunity to try it early with an option of a refund?

Sounds perfectly good to me.

I repeat what I said before. and I am no fanboy, just a voice of reason.

He's right, it is a closed beta. There's no such thing as a "free beta", that's completely made up. If it were true there would be a multitude of "free betas" available, but there isn't. Open or closed beta, go look it up. It is closed for the single fact that you must pay. This is a restriction. If you have money falling from the sky in your backyard, awesome for you. No pay = no play. Restricted. Most of you are blinded by your fanaticism for the company.

ISI is promoting this as an open beta. It's blatant false advertising. And you people are even making up new terminology to defend it.

Personally I think its an open beta... you are paying for the final game, not the beta imo. That is what ISI wanted to do, release it as early in beta development as they could so we could play it and give feedback. But it doesnt matter what anyone thinks it is, if you want to play it or just try it, buy it and play it simple as that, if not dont, if you dont like it get a refund... seems reasonable to me.

Simple explanation from Wikipedia:

Open and closed beta
Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a select group of individuals for a user test and are invitation only, while open betas are from a larger group to the general public and anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version. Examples of a major public beta test are:
Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team may not find.

Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_version#Beta

Next time, do some research first. Open or closed referes to the select group, or general public. Has NOTHING to do with money.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back