This almost became my favourite SIM.

I have been SIM racing since 1998 when I was playing Microprose GP2 and since then there have only been a handful of titles which I have truly enjoyed. Since rfactor landed I have been pretty much exclusively racing that and then rf2 more recently. I have dipped my toes with AC and PCars but neither felt like finished titles.

I have previously tried raceroom but didn't really buy in to the pricing model but after getting a little bored of rf2 I decided to jump in to DTM experience.

My first impressions were great but there are a number of things that really put me off playing more of it.

I like to race offline in championship modes so please bear that in mind when reading the list below.

Here's a list of things that have made stop short of saying this is the best SIM I have played. The long and short of it is it feels like yet another half baked SIM.

• The menu UI seems a bit odd to me. When i selected DTM 2016 and change a session setting like "flag rules on" it changes everything (car, track, AI strength etc.) back to default.

• The "Realistic" damage mode is a joke. This is my major gripe with most Sims but this one is deplorable. You can hit the wall at 150 mph and barely notice any difference with the car.

• No skinning options. This is one of my favourite features about pc SIM racing. At least update the driver name on the windows and cockpit name plate. Winds me up seeing someone elses name.

• I hate the way the computer controls your car the moment you cross the finish line. Urgh.

• Can't change AI strength between races in championship mode.

• No explanation of the series (DTM) rules.

• Not convinced by the AI considering it is a developer made car on developer made tracks.

There is more but I can't think of them right now.

I just hope that gtr3 addresses the damage issue as it just shatters any sort of immersion for me when you can just crash with no consequences other than losing places on track.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back