This almost became my favourite SIM.

I have been SIM racing since 1998 when I was playing Microprose GP2 and since then there have only been a handful of titles which I have truly enjoyed. Since rfactor landed I have been pretty much exclusively racing that and then rf2 more recently. I have dipped my toes with AC and PCars but neither felt like finished titles.

I have previously tried raceroom but didn't really buy in to the pricing model but after getting a little bored of rf2 I decided to jump in to DTM experience.

My first impressions were great but there are a number of things that really put me off playing more of it.

I like to race offline in championship modes so please bear that in mind when reading the list below.

Here's a list of things that have made stop short of saying this is the best SIM I have played. The long and short of it is it feels like yet another half baked SIM.

• The menu UI seems a bit odd to me. When i selected DTM 2016 and change a session setting like "flag rules on" it changes everything (car, track, AI strength etc.) back to default.

• The "Realistic" damage mode is a joke. This is my major gripe with most Sims but this one is deplorable. You can hit the wall at 150 mph and barely notice any difference with the car.

• No skinning options. This is one of my favourite features about pc SIM racing. At least update the driver name on the windows and cockpit name plate. Winds me up seeing someone elses name.

• I hate the way the computer controls your car the moment you cross the finish line. Urgh.

• Can't change AI strength between races in championship mode.

• No explanation of the series (DTM) rules.

• Not convinced by the AI considering it is a developer made car on developer made tracks.

There is more but I can't think of them right now.

I just hope that gtr3 addresses the damage issue as it just shatters any sort of immersion for me when you can just crash with no consequences other than losing places on track.

The "Realistic" damage mode is a joke. This is my major gripe with most Sims but this one is deplorable. You can hit the wall at 150 mph and barely notice any difference with the car.
You need to enable mechanical damage as well, realistic only effects graphics and to a lesser extent aero.
As I don't play sp I can't answer to any of your other issues.

I'd agree that some of those things are 'niggles', but certainly not big enough issues to ruin the sim.

Kenny has addressed the damage issue... with mech damage on you can destroy your gearbox with a few bad shifts in some cars, so hitting a wall with it turned on will definitely ruin your day.

The AI isn't perfect but is still among the best AI I've experienced in a sim, certainly better than AC. People say rF2's AI is the 'best' but I can't comment since rF2 is the only current sim I haven't played recently. There's a thread here on RD somewhere which explains how to use the adaptive AI mode to 'train' the AI to your level. Maybe give that a try?

I'd agree that some of those things are 'niggles', but certainly not big enough issues to ruin the sim.

Kenny has addressed the damage issue... with mech damage on you can destroy your gearbox with a few bad shifts in some cars, so hitting a wall with it turned on will definitely ruin your day.

The AI isn't perfect but is still among the best AI I've experienced in a sim, certainly better than AC. People say rF2's AI is the 'best' but I can't comment since rF2 is the only current sim I haven't played recently. There's a thread here on RD somewhere which explains how to use the adaptive AI mode to 'train' the AI to your level. Maybe give that a try?

Yeah you're probably right they are just niggles a lot of them. But they are things that stop me from saying it's the best I've played.

I have mechanical demage turned on too. It makes no difference.

I will give adaptive AI a go.

I'm not saying that it's a bad SIM or I'm not playing it going forward, just that it was almost my perfect SIM it just fell a bit short.

Mechanical damage ON does have effects - end race from serverly damaged engine, transmission, etc, or affects to handling and speed. Yes, it should be more sensitive, in my opinion, as it does take large impacts to trigger. Except for transmission issues, fairly easy to damage.

The AI isn't perfect but is still among the best AI I've experienced in a sim, certainly better than AC.

Then again AC AI won't ram you off the track like you're not even there just because you're on the racing line it wants to take at all costs :( I pretty much can't do single player anymore simply because of this issue, which, granted, was only introduced recently with the "stress factor" update back in January.

Do I get rammed by the R3E AI at times, sure, but for the most part I have "many" more good AI races then bad ones. I'll take the R3E AI as-is (hope for improvements, of course) if given a choice over the competition. AC doesn't ram you off the track as much but they remind me of Gran Turismo AI - robotic, no character, not convincing - no thanks. But I will say AC AI have improved over time for what that's worth, they just have a long way to go to compete with R3E, rF2, and AMS.

I feel your frustration. I find myself drawn in R3E because of the AI and the sound. Those things really sell it for me despite DX9, buggy VR experiences and a ridiculous content system. I have had my most enjoyable AI experiences with this game despite its faults. I do hope they get around to finishing the game and polishing it up. It has so much potential, but I've noticed they seem to be spending a lot of effort on new things like flag rules and multiplayer which are just not gonna work until some house keeping is done.

It has so much potential, but I've noticed they seem to be spending a lot of effort on new things like flag rules and multiplayer which are just not gonna work until some house keeping is done.
Those things are what a lot of us have been waiting on for some time.
Most of us don't find the content ridiculous, they've achieved great results with DX9 and VR serves a tiny minority of the players.
No reason to think they won't continue with improvements in all aspects of the game.

What do you think of the car physics / tire model? To me it feels like the cars regain grip to quick, but I could be mistaken. I only have other sims to compare rather than real life.

TimeAttack - Hellclimb - Hillclimb Icons
5m 52.742s - 5:58.129 - 134 Judd V8 free
5m 52.945s -
5:58.778 - Carlsson SLK 340 JUDD ~ All - https://sites.google.com/site/svgbiosport/
0_9245a_341d05a9_orig

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back