F1 2011 Things that were better in F1 2010

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi guys,

I pre-ordered 2011 and have been playing it ever since. However, for me it so far feels like they did one step forward and one step backward.

So I have been trying to put my finger on it and have finally nailed things I consider better in 2010:

- the music and ambiance of success at the end of a victorious race
- the music overall
- the performance distance between cars, which now seems way too close.
- the trailer. Previously you could step outside and it somehow felt more organic. I guess having your agent there meant that you werent completely alone. Plus, I could look around the trailer abit, and felt more part of a given team; not just turning my head side to side.
- the contract offers. An email? Talk about dry... I preferred the lady telling me: "good news!" + regardless of its pointlessness, negotiating a $ salary added a bit a feeling of progress.
- the press clippings are a joke. in 10 races Ive read the same repetition of how Ive driven around my team mate. Not much point in reading the same copy-paste "news" days after day.
- the interviews.
- the driver bios and the team histories were much more detailed previously.
- the race chatter, while often completely besides the point, was at least delivered in an engaging manner.

Overall, I would say the racing is great in 2011. Feels much more realistic, but this was already satisfying 2010. Yet the overall feel of the game is much more sterile. There is less passion. The racing is as good as it gets, but the "experience" overall is slightly worse.

So I am -praying- that modders can manage to let us mix the best of 2010-2011. :) Basically 2010, with the 2011 on-track action slammed on top.

What do you guys think?

Its early days for me but I think in general terms I agree with the first post.The racing is way better. Cockpit view driveable, handling that allows you to balance the car on throttle. Engine and gearbox noises are much nicer. Braking distances more realistic. Rear wing required. Yes the driving side is far improved. DRS KERS defending using KERS Very intense. Better info from Ed (Milliband) the engineer. I am knackered after a 50% race whereas with 2010 some nights I would do 3 of them. Oh and the spectate mode-so much potential there! I dont miss 2010 there.
But the stuff outside the driving-the tone shall we say. I think I liked 2010 music more. The agent (who many whined about) was ok really. Rob the Geordie Engineer (who many whined about) was so more passionate, I mean he was really in your corner.
The 11/11 bug is urgent and Codies need to fix it quick or they will lose the online side of the business. Its a shame as they have put so much more into the online.
So the whiners got a couple of wins and now we are not so sure about them (Agent and Engineer Rob).
Overall I think the game is at least twice as good however. My 5 Career seasons at 50% dist will be epic.

Music is goddamn awful. If someone had those tunes blasting out from their iPOD or something in a public place they'd be laughed at.

Shocking, does not fit at all with any aspect of the sport. Last year's was better by far.

Pitstops were better in '10 because it wasn't completely automated and you could lose time/get a penatly if you misjudged your braking (ignoring the pit stop bug of course).

Online was much better in '10 in terms of lobby system, connection etc.

In '11 the graphics are slightly better as is the handling but in many other areas the game has hardly changed at all.

I agree with this, I genuinely miss the pit limiter.

I agree about the engineer it seems like they have traded enthusiasm for more useful information, I don't know why they couldn't do both. As for the music, I have it turned all the way down, have since the start so I don't even know whats playing. The pit stops I agree are to scripted I liked having some control over the car, this lead to mistakes and penalties. The Trailer/Padock.... is there more strong of a term than useless? A simple menu would do. I don't care about press clippings or email so lets do away with that ASAP. And My GOD the loading screens are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back