The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

9qxpAwY.jpg

That's the one. Thanks for posting here; I've been meaning to do it but I keep forgetting every time I'm at a computer.

So I tried the textures I posted earlier and looked at them in the showroom. The result:

j1E3BNn.jpg

DuTWy7g.jpg

The artefacts in the second picture is a result of poor dds export or what exactly is the problem there?

I think you're right with the DDS export; that looks like compression artifacts. I have no idea what the different DDS settings do when it comes to compression so someone else will have to weigh in on that. From the first picture, though, it looks like the normal map might be 'backwards,' from the highlights it looks like the ink portion is raised instead of lowered.

Here's a simpler explanation on how the MAP texture works:

txMap (1).jpg

That's what each channel controls, for example on chrome parts, it's always a good idea to copy the AO map on the blue channel so you don't get that ugly super shiny chrome that pops up from miles away.

View attachment 188088

That's what each channel controls, for example on chrome parts, it's always a good idea to copy the AO map on the blue channel so you don't get that ugly super shiny chrome that pops up from miles away.

Ok, I'm trying to understand what exactly you mean by putting the AO map in the blue channel, like what do I do with the other channels?

ltE0fH3.jpg

Ok, I'm trying to understand what exactly you mean by putting the AO map in the blue channel, like what do I do with the other channels?

ltE0fH3.jpg
Notice how the icon shows a greyscale representation of what the image shows? Each channel has 257 values in it, from 0-256. 0 means nothing, 256 means full. Everything in between is a gradient somewhere between the minimum and maximum values.

So in this case, in you use the AO as your blue channel, the lighter parts will have a stronger reflection and the darker parts a weaker reflection. Chrome has a sharp reflection, so you'd likely want the green channel to be solid and fairly high; maybe not quite 256, but probably somewhere in the 200s so that the reflection is sharp. For specular intensity you'd probably want a medium to low value for chrome (maybe? I haven't played with it at all).

So, the result is that in the lighter areas you'd have an RGB something like 240,240,120. The darker areas of your AO, would have an RGB something like 190,240,120 for instance.

The RGB value is the same as the channel in an image.

Unless it's a brand new car that pipe should be slightly black inside in my opinion. Newer cars run pretty clean but older cars always have some carbon buildup inside the pipe.

Probably be my last post of this in here, just a quick and dirty showroom test, will be creating a dedicated thread for it soon...flicked mclarenf1papa a mesh to start mucking around with and working on physics
mcNBKVu.jpg
Needs bigger rear wing! ;)
In all seriousness...That's a beautiful car, but its not ringing any bells. What is it? I'd like to learn more about it. :thumbsup:

Typically I have the same opinion for a lot of circuits; I dislike slow-medium corners that just seem to drag on and go forever, especially when there's several of them without any interruption. I find it makes a track tedious.

That being said, I'm always looking forward to your work and waiting with patient excitement to see her progress. :)

Vagellunga Classic would be great without that infield section.

View attachment 188088

I had no idea that was the way it was working... thanks for this!

On another note, i did a thing!
Wanted to put my laptime somewhere compared to other cars, i took the times from the RSR website, put into a excel, few things later i have a lap time table just like good old Top Gear :p

upload_2017-4-27_12-4-33.png

here : http://benobro.org/sub/tableauRSR.pdf
EDIT: added the Nordschleife :)

I couldn't find the option on their website, to show one track with all the cars
so i did my own...
The Caterham 1700 should be around 1.52 - 1.53

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back