The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Not much, I mentioned to him that I'd prefer people don't modify my content without asking permission (or at least publicly so). He took the video down.

Not a big deal, and I get there's nothing I can do to stop it, but I'm not a fan of people badly modifying content and displaying it publicly, as it can often make the original content look bad (or the modder) if the changes made were not made clear. That's why I asked on the download page not to do so, and obviously these wishes were disregarded.

Many thanks for the clarification :thumbsup: If he don't show your mod out of the box I'm on your side :)

Many thanks for the clarification :thumbsup: If he don't show your mod out of the box I'm on your side :)

Yeah he did the engine swap thing that seems to be a bit of a trend just now. To be fair he made clear that the changes were made by him and showed how it compared to the original, but it would have been nice of him to ask first. And I should note I never actually requested him to take the video down, he did that on his own accord.

Zwischenablage02.jpg

things escalate when I'm just building freely and not replicating :D

edit: baked and shaded
Zwischenablage02.jpg

Last edited:
Zwischenablage02.jpg

I'm trying to get rid of any LFS mesh piece by piece, while still retaining the ability to use old skins maybe :coffee: will have to see how that works out

Physics seem to be fine, even without rear ARB. Aero has been turn down a lot aswell, only produces ~380kg of downforce at top speed, not 800 like before. Slower around the Ring than a GT3, but imo easier to handle.

View attachment 187928

I'm trying to get rid of any LFS mesh piece by piece, while still retaining the ability to use old skins maybe :coffee: will have to see how that works out

Physics seem to be fine, even without rear ARB. Aero has been turn down a lot aswell, only produces ~380kg of downforce at top speed, not 800 like before. Slower around the Ring than a GT3, but imo easier to handle.

Sounds perfect. As much as I love the GT3s, they're too fast for the ring imho, so something a touch slower would be great.

I assume it's still quicker than a GT4, or will the Cayman GT4 Clubsport get a new playmate?

Sounds perfect. As much as I love the GT3s, they're too fast for the ring imho, so something a touch slower would be great.

I assume it's still quicker than a GT4, or will the Cayman GT4 Clubsport get a new playmate?
At the moment its too fast, depending on track almost GT3 territory but at least Ginetta Supercup-fast. Tho I'm not sure why exactly :D And I don't want to pull too much engine power out of it, or else the V6 model I made will look comical. Maybe it needs more aero drag, will have to test and compare more when I have time.

Been doing the @garyjpaterson and bouncing around on different projects just to keep things fresh. Bridgehampton is 'dragging on' a bit since it feels like it is the 5th time building the track. So I have been taking breaks and working on Watkins and NJMP a bit here and there. Last night I built the layout for Thunderbolt. My goal is to have it to the same state as the iRacing tech track by the weekend. that basically just means track, curbs, some grass, and guard rails. So not very far ;)

It's an interesting layout. I'm not really 'in love' with it per say. I much prefer Lightning but Thunderbolt does have some good sections. Just not a fan of the super tight final sector. At least not yet. It will have 4 layouts with different combos of the two chicanes. I am mainly doing this to have a match set with both tracks. Plus I plan to learn Thunderbolt in sim first and then go there in person.

NJMPTB.JPG

Just not a fan of the super tight final sector.

Typically I have the same opinion for a lot of circuits; I dislike slow-medium corners that just seem to drag on and go forever, especially when there's several of them without any interruption. I find it makes a track tedious.

That being said, I'm always looking forward to your work and waiting with patient excitement to see her progress. :)

Working on some textures for the Bizzarrini Manta. I was wondering if the map (the pink and green one) has the correct colour coding to create the difference in material between the chrome of the emblem and the glossy paint used for the signature and logo. Anyone more experience with that map and knows what colour code stands for what material properties?

Picture of the original:
3247436709_18406a6edf.jpg

My diffuse map:
uJeNotJ.png

Normal map:
kaXwFTE.png

Don't know what it's called map:
WiAYfLt.png

Last edited:
Anyone more experience with that map and knows what colour code stands for what material properties?

Don't know what it's called map:
WiAYfLt.png

I think (hopefully someone can confirm) that for the chrome I'd use white, and the black bit which looks a little less shiny use maybe something darker, grey or something.

I'd also like to ask why green is used for most Kunos maps (for bodywork)? Why not just the AO bake (so basically white)?

Here is a comparison of two RGB maps, one is green overlay on the AO (like most Kunos maps) and other is just the while AO:

Green
OwxtHDZh.jpg

AO
nl0WX7nh.jpg

And the map for each:
UD8bzVGh.jpg

The map file has 3 different channels IIRC, Red, Green, and Blue. Each channel controls a different thing (forget exactly which is which right now) - Reflection amount, specular amount and reflection blurriness. The alpha in the detail channel controls specular falloff.

In Kunos' map files, they've made the conscious decision to eliminate the effect of the red channel (again, forget which of the above it controls) in some areas of the car, and not in others. Other map files are more pinkish; lessening the effect that the green channel controls and bumping up the effect of the red and blue channels.

There's a thread on the official forums about how the system works. It's quite nifty, imho.

The map file has 3 different channels IIRC, Red, Green, and Blue. Each channel controls a different thing (forget exactly which is which right now) - Reflection amount, specular amount and reflection blurriness. The alpha in the detail channel controls specular falloff.

In Kunos' map files, they've made the conscious decision to eliminate the effect of the red channel (again, forget which of the above it controls) in some areas of the car, and not in others. Other map files are more pinkish; lessening the effect that the green channel controls and bumping up the effect of the red and blue channels.

There's a thread on the official forums about how the system works. It's quite nifty, imho.

CAR_chassis_map2.dds:
Description: controls the various parameters of the car paint shader. It uses the same UVs as CAR_chassis_D.dds
Note: the _map2 suffix might be applicable to other shaders on the car. Testing is in progress ;)
  • Red: Specular intensity. 255 = maximum intensity, 0 = no specular.
  • Green: Reflection sharpness. 255 = maximum sharpness, 0 = minimum sharpness. Effect is only visible if Blue > 0.
  • Blue: Reflection intensity: 255 = maximum intensity (glossy) , 0 = minimum intensity (matte)
  • Alpha: Doesn't seem to be used (correct me if I'm wrong)
Case study: Maximum and minimum values and their effect on the Racing Green shader:
9qxpAwY.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 240 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years