The very top bar issue

I have noticed there has been some changes on the forum look. Personally, what bothers me, is that the top bar with Account, Inbox and Alerts options, which btw looks very neat now, is disappearing when going down. I would like not to disappear, to be always there, so no scrolling all the way up each time, to have it for use. I am talking for Android Opera and Opera on Win10.

Last edited:
The pulldown menu that hides "New posts" doesn't work well for me either. It went through a couple of iterations where it would be very reluctant to fold open at all (in Chrome) which is fixed-ish, but it isn't where it should be.

I approve of disappearing bars in general, there is enough screen real estate wasted already and who knows what kind of display I'll use tomorrow. But right new usability isn't there.

My opinion is that the "New post" button should always be plainly visible and not be hidden in menus. That applies bother to existing users, and to casual visitor who need a "just show me what you got" button.

Please use some screenshots to illustrate the issue.
The top bar with alerts, inbox and account is not fixed to the top after scrolling down. The first picture shows how it looks like when on top. The second picture shows the situation after scrolling down, the top bar disappears, the navigation bar is still there though.
Screenshot_20180215-151227.png

Screenshot_20180215-151236.png

I am using google on my mobile device and i can't reproduce it. Ticking the hamburger icon doesn't give you a dropdown menu?
I've edited my post.

I think what is meant is not the navigation bar or the hamburger dropdown, but the far top bar with account, inbox, and alerts. Basically a second bar on top of the navigation bar.

I think in the past that bar could be seen at all times, not only when beeing on top of the page.

Exactly.
1st image shows the top menu bar with all those 3 options (account, inbox and alerts), but as soon as you scroll down just for a bit it disappears. I would like to be always there, like it was before, so there is no need to scroll all the way to the top to get access to them.
This is what is going on in Opera on win10 and on my mobile android 7.
rd1.jpg

rd2.jpg

Same on Google Chrome on W10. Top ribbon (HOME FORUM ETC) is always visible, but bar above that (Account Inbox Alerts) only reappears once you have scrolled all the way back to the top of the page. I would suggest this upper bar is constantly visible, or reappears once you have scrolled up a few lines.

I'm amazed that you actually mean for the site to look like this!

When I first saw it, I thought 'oh someone's made a mistake there, it'll get fixed shortly' but no, it seems it's intentional.

That or you need a bit more cross browser, cross platform testing.

rd.jpg

This new look is awful.... And not useful for users.... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Banner is changed for a big ad???? Really????
The categories on the opposite side, and we didn't see it, only roll down more than "1 page"
It is ok if you place an advert above the category, but not so big ad please...

This new look is awful.... And not useful for users.... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Banner is changed for a big ad???? Really????
The categories on the opposite side, and we didn't see it, only roll down more than "1 page"
It is ok if you place an advert above the category, but not so big ad please...

Seems like more 'change for the sake of change' that many sites like to do.

From a usability perspective, this isnt better.

What I have always disliked about RD's design, is the awful use of space. Why is there so much blank space on this website? Only 1/3 of my screen actually has anything on it.

Im on a desktop... not a cell phone. Why would I want the site to be designed as if it was for a phone?

Edit: Here's a picture to show how bad this looks.

RD y tho.PNG

Seems like more 'change for the sake of change' that many sites like to do.

From a usability perspective, this isnt better.

What I have always disliked about RD's design, is the awful use of space. Why is there so much blank space on this website? Only 1/3 of my screen actually has anything on it.

Im on a desktop... not a cell phone. Why would I want the site to be designed as if it was for a phone?

Edit: Here's a picture to show how bad this looks.

View attachment 235963
:confused:
I haven’t checked the new site on my desktop yet, but two days ago, with the old layout, I got a real
Full screen layout!
This looks like a mobile page. Can you find an option saying “change to desktop” or something similar?

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back