Physics The Physics discussion thread

I have awakened the dead!! Well, a dead thread, that is. :cool:

How can I edit drivetrain.ini to make shifting older cars - Jaguar XJ13, for example - more realistic. I'm using a DFGT wheel with no external shifter or clutch pedal. So, I'm getting 240ms upshifts and 260ms downshifts which isn't possible with cars like the XJ13, Ferrari 250GTO, etc... I watch videos of people using H-Pattern shifters with these cars and there is that nice pause before the engine comes roaring back to life. Heck, even a Lamborghini Countach should have that pause while the gears are working themselves out.

I suggest that videos of people driving these old cars might be misleading because they shift very carefully. Due to the value of the car, difficulty to get spare parts, unfamiliarity, not to mention many of those higher speed vintage runs are done by professional drivers who do not own the car and want to be hired again, by anybody at all, in the world. Squeeeeeee BANG throb throb throb...

Going in anger might be a different matter. Maybe a good benchmark are stunt people in movies. For example, the Countach might have useful gear shift time data in the Cannonball Run movie. There are several scenes that look like live sound recording of the Countach, e.g. when overtaking the police cruiser at the state line.

I also think that different gears have different times to reach and engage at certain speeds and certain from-to combinations. Having said that, values slower than most car's default in mods are certainly more realistic.

Hi,
I know it's an old thread, but does anyone know if the C5 mod has been finally released? I tried searching various AC modding sites, but haven't found it. That would be unfortunate if it weren't finished because it had potential to be one of the best third-party mods for AC.

Last edited:
@avenger82 - Are you talking about the C5 Corvette that RC45 was working on? If so, I don't ever remembering him stating that he would release the mod to us peons.
Yes, this one and yes he said this was his intent, but I guess felt offended or couldn't bare fudging any data in his mod(which I understand is inevitable at some point, even in the best sims like rFactor).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 191 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%