The "Obvious things you should know" thread

So, reading posts around here, I've noticed people can get their race ruined by stuff that might be obvious once you know it, but wouldn't come to your mind in the heat of the race.

So I thought it would be nice to have a compilation of this stuff, sort of a FAQ, so everyone has easy access to this information.

I'll start with 2 things, I'm a bit too sleepy to think about more.

-Make sure you have mapped Ignition/Starter somewhere easy to remember. If you have a long pitstop (over 30 seconds, repairs for example) your engine will overheat and blow, ending your race. So stop the engine during pitstops, then start it again.

-In a "fixed setup" event, ALWAYS remember to check your fuel, steering lock, brake bias and brake pressure, every time you return to the pitbox. They will get reseted every time, so you have to get them right again.

-You won't be able to refuel during a pitstop if you are driving a Formula 3 or Formula Classic Car. Make sure you get your fuel amount right. For offline racing, you can mod the files so it allows refueling (explained here by Keith Windsor). Again, this won't work online. Might not be possible in the 2012 update at all, since the .hdv files aren't anywhere. So get the fuel right .

-After Warmup is finished, you have 32 seconds to get yourself onto the grid ready to race. So don't take too long. (thanks to Scott Webber)

-The following rFactor plugins will work with GSC (thanks to Keith Windsor for the info)

1) RealHead Motion (can help if you're getting motion sickness)
2)rFDynHUD
3)Spotter 2.17

I hope more people can contribute with knowledge of this sort, so people don't get caught by surprise by these things.

Thank you Jordi and Scott!
If someone had taken the time to post something like this for RACE07 before RDGTC S5 (my first RD league), I might not have spent 3 of the 5 rounds finding out the hard way. :cautious:

EDIT: RDGTC S5 was my first RD RACE07 league. (I did participate in the F1 2010 league before that)

I find RealHead motion plugin to be brilliant. I know the game is great anyway, but IMO with this plugin, it completely transforms the feeling of motion to a more realistic experience, and for many people it also eliminates motion sickness :)

...for many people it also eliminates motion sickness :)

Haha! Maybe Michael Schumacher should try that plugin on the Mercedes F1 simulator!
I did find that when I tried a head motion mod on Codemasters' F1 2010 I actually felt some motion sickness coming on. :sick: I imagine it's what you're used to; I lean my head into corners as if I'm counteracting G forces which aren't there - I would need to learn to keep my head still!

Haha! Maybe Michael Schumacher should try that plugin on the Mercedes F1 simulator!
I did find that when I tried a head motion mod on Codemasters' F1 2010 I actually felt some motion sickness coming on. :sick: I imagine it's what you're used to; I lean my head into corners as if I'm counteracting G forces which aren't there - I would need to learn to keep my head still!

I also take the 'Manual' approach. Never even sniff an apex if I don't.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%