The new guy needs some advice

Hello everyone. I am currently "on the fence" on whether or not to dive into PC Sim racing. I'm in the Iracing Forum because this is the first game I want to try out but to be honest Project Cars and Arssetto Corsa has realy got my intrest.
Let me start by giving you a little history. In the 45 years of my existance I have always played video games (mainly FPS) on Consouls. Mainly becasue PC games have not interested me or have intimidated me. But I got hooked on Forzamotorsport and bought a Fanatec CSR wheel, clubsport pedals and a nice stand. Now as you might know my Fanatec wheel doesnt work on my new Xbox One along with my copy of Forza 5. I have been waiting for a adapter that might work but it doesnt look like its going to happen. So, this brought me to a conclusion. I either buy another $500 wheel OR look into PC racing to fill my need for speed, On Cyber Monday I'm thinking on upgrading my HTPC with a better graphics card, processor etc to run Project Cars/AC. My HTPC now is good enough to run Iracing at some low settings just so I can see if I like it. So this brings me to some questions.

1=I have always heard that in order to be competative in PC gaming you have to constantly invest in upgrades or modds to keep up. Is this the case with Racing games?? Are there "hackers" out there that will blow by me in a Miata while I driving a Porsche??
2= I do not have the room for a tripple screen set up. I will be using my 56' LED tv. Will using a single screen be a disadvantage to me in Sim Racing games??
3=I know a little how a PC works and the programs. Is there a steep learning curve to Sim racing when it comes to installing programs/patches/paint/tuning setups?
4=I work crazy hours and racing on the weekends are not good for me. Will I still be able to find races in order to level up at 1am on a Tuesday (example)
5=Is the setup for my Fanatec wheel and Astro headset easy for my PC??

Thanx for any advice I can get

I'm with you and not racing atm, my wheel died, I sent it back to Fanatec and ordered a T300, had that for a week and returned it, now I'm without a wheel until I hopefully get mine back from Fanatec. The worst part is that they're running the RUF C-Spec on Zandvoort this week, wrong layout but still a great track.

idiots who do dumb stuff driving come from Forza and GT. They are used to corner cutting and muscling people out of there way instead of driving with finesse. Learn to drive with finesse first and foremost.

In defence of us "dumb corner cutting idiots";

I know one of those degenerate idiots who was driving "babies" until 4 months ago. He's now 13th overall (of 11000) in the mazda cup, he had an A license after 4 weeks and his iRating is above 4000. ...after 4 months iRacing. Oh yeah, all that whilst having an overall average 2.64 inc / race. Could you maybe reply with your iracing name? Just once?

There's at least one driver in the iGPS who used to be a Forza racer when I was there.

It 'll be a big advantage to know a track from previous sims/games. I'm the guy i was "referring" too and that's only because of my many many miles/km i did in Gran Turismo. Usual, the fast guys are very helpful in iRacing, not bitter like this...

I know one of those degenerate idiots who was driving "babies" until 4 months ago. He's now 13th overall (of 11000) in the mazda cup, he had an A license after 4 weeks and his iRating is above 4000. ...after 4 months iRacing. Oh yeah, all that whilst having an overall average 2.64 inc / race. Could you maybe reply with your iracing name? Just once?

I'm pleased to see someone has the guts to defend the general assertion that all rookies are wasters etc... I have (and continue) to make my fair share of mistakes on track despite trying so hard to improve my lap times safely and incident free. I think those that criticise others should just take a step back and remember that they were once rookies too!

Doesn't look like he is showing the "guts to defend the general assertion that all rookies are waster"...he is making a case about Forza and GT "super talents" who in a very short period of time have risen to the "top". Debatable, obviously, knowing as we know the nature of GT and FM...

As for everyone being "rookies"...

Sure. But there is a difference between being a rookie, understanding it, accepting it and wanting to learn and soon enough stop being a rookie...and those "rookies" that fancy themselves fast (they rub their speeds on others so they won't crash, cut corners constantly, brake too late and usually into the back of someone) and collect INC's and help others collect unwanted INC's.

he is making a case about Forza and GT "super talents" who in a very short period of time have risen to the "top". Debatable, obviously, knowing as we know the nature of GT and FM...
I think we need to clarify what we're talking about here. The properly talented Forza and GT races who move to sims because they want something more serious are well worth attracting and retaining. While I was never that quick to consider myself a top driver, I moved to sim racing because Forza was no longer competitive and serious enough for me, rather than Forza having made me reckless or 'a gamer' (whatever that term means). These games can be a very solid recruiting ground for people who want to sim race but don't know it or aren't ready yet.

It's the guys who think they're God's gift to racing and that winning at all costs is the most important thing in the world, they're the trouble makers. Doesn't matter what they raced before (if anything). It's a mindset issue, not a gaming history issue.

think we need to clarify what we're talking about here. The properly talented Forza and GT races who move to sims because they want something more serious are well worth attracting and retaining.

Yep. Debatable, as I said above. I see zero problems in having "console racers" in iRacing (or any other serious sim). Equating top talent in FM and GT to top talent in iRacing/rF/NKP/GSC...an entirely different matter, but as I said: debatable.

It's the guys who think they're God's gift to racing and that winning at all costs is the most important thing in the world, they're the trouble makers. Doesn't matter what they raced before (if anything). It's a mindset issue, not a...

Yep, hence my statement:

Sure. But there is a difference between being a rookie, understanding it, accepting it and wanting to learn and soon enough stop being a rookie...and those "rookies" that fancy themselves fast (they rub their speeds on others so they won't crash, cut corners constantly, brake too late and usually into the back of someone) and collect INC's and help others collect unwanted INC's.

Unfortunately, it's a mindset we encounter all too often in "gamers" and "console racers". We often see them chatting and confessing "iRacing is no fun" because the "slightest collision" ends a race.

Yep. Debatable, as I said above. I see zero problems in having "console racers" in iRacing (or any other serious sim). Equating top talent in FM and GT to top talent in iRacing/rF/NKP/GSC...an entirely different matter, but as I said: debatable.
The fastest guys in Forza tend to be some of the fastest in iRacing as well. Ryan Terpstra made it to the iRacing DWC, even if he never set the world on fire, he was one of the top Forza hotlappers before that.
Unfortunately, it's a mindset we encounter all too often in "gamers" and "console racers". We often see them chatting and confessing "iRacing is no fun" because the "slightest collision" ends a race.
I simply disagree it has any relation to having been a console racer beforehand. It's a mindset that exists before they play consoles.

The fastest guys in Forza tend to be some of the fastest in iRacing as well. Ryan Terpstra made it to the iRacing DWC, even if he never set the world on fire, he was one of the top Forza hotlappers before that.

We could also say that being fast in iRacing has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with having been "fast" on Forza. Curiously, had a talk once with Richard Towler and
I remember him saying it's not uncommon top GPL/GTR2/Race07 guys (Greger, Towler, Hackmann are just examples) also trying their hands on console racing games, being the faster there too by miles, and ending up being quite fast on iRacing as well.

Debatable, indeed.

I simply disagree it has any relation to having been a console racer beforehand. It's a mindset that exists before they play consoles.

I am not even arguing with you, so whatever you disagree with I am fine. :thumbsup:

Interesting thing though: I speak of my experience and that of the groups I drive with, and in that experience I can safely say that the "winning at all costs" mindset is unfortunately "a mindset we encounter all too often in "gamers" and "console racers"". It can be just a coincidence ( again and again ), sure... But that is my experience.

But here you are though proclaiming that this winning-at-all-costs mindset "exists before they play consoles" - and that's people you've had no first hand experienced with. Interesting.

Again: "all too often", in my experience, it's "gamers" and "console racers" who cause mayhem - not always, and not all "gamers" cause problems in iRacing, but "all too often".

I know of others that share my experience; only natural that those coming from "console racing" see it differently.

No problem either way.

My problem, and everyone's problem across simracing, is those that can't race properly, those that can't avoid wrecking other people's races.

Last edited:
it was mainly the generalisation that's a bit small minded imo and made me react. But you're both right to some extent. For this week, one of the series i'm practising for is at Twin Ring Montegi. And this week, i didn't had to put on "ideal line" for the first 10/20 laps or ask someone to do a couple lead laps. I already knew the track inside-out and with some adjustments of course i will be able to do fast consistent laps way sooner, GT being the only reason for that. And also; Not everyone in GT raced dirty like lots did. I did all aids off, so no abs (is making me now able to trailbrake with regular G27 pedals) and had some great community/forum based races. Some way cleaner than i see now btw. Oh yeah, my average Corners per incident is way above average. Just don't judge on the base of someone's history in digital racing, is kinda what i wanted to imply.

Well that escalated quickly.............
Well my pedal adapter for my Clubsport pedals have not made it yet....I havent raced in Iracing in over a month...Have recieved an email from Iracing saying my subscription will expire soon. On cyber Monday I plan on upgrading my PC with a better graphics card/processor to get me over my current FPS (I think it was about 35)....I also have purchased a Playseat rig and to my suprise there was a 3 month subscription code for Iracing in the box....When I get my proper rig going I will use it to dive back into Iracing...Until then I will get my fix on with Forza..

Did you run in a advanced MX5 race where a John Allen dominated?

Yeah I was reading through the forums and saw your name after that race
Believe me, i know who John is. :)He's nice to race with though, always clean.
This is the overall standing in the mx-5's (Almost 12 000 people competing; He's P11 & i am P12)
9tmqm0.jpg

I also have purchased a Playseat rig and to my suprise there was a 3 month subscription code for Iracing in the box....When I get my proper rig going I will use it to dive back into Iracing...Until then I will get my fix on with Forza..
The other benefit of taking advantage of that 3 month deal right now is that'll get you through until Black Friday where you can get 50% off for a year or two sub.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 416 39.8%