The netcode; what are your expectations?

All basic elements from AC we now know are even better than we expected. FFB, graphics, interface, even the sound is a big step up from netKar Pro.

The only big question mark that remains is the netcode. Traditionally the weakspot for Kunos Simulazioni.

I am curious what your expectations of the netcode of AC are. Do you think it will be comparable to iRacing's netcode for instance? How many cars do you expect to be able to race online?

What are key issues for the netcode to get right?

Shoot!

iRacing´s way of doing things is by far the best so far.
It´s so good even Stefano gave them props over twitter not so long ago.

Blinking cars from my experience is extremely rare. Even on US servers.

Maybe it is just a case of people stretching it to far and joining with awful pings then !

I remember back in early 2000's playing Hl1 , air attack , mid town madness , on 56k and being happy with 240 ping lol

Just look at Formula FSR, it just looks ridiculous how they get away with some overtakes since the cars just pass through each other.

William is correct, most times is modder's fault for not using correctly the collision points.

On another side, there are plenty of ghost contacts at iRacing, despite being almost 1m away of the other car, especially in the F1 / fast cars. I won't describe it as ridiculous, even though it looks like it is, but writting a good netcode is something quite difficult for what I know.

oww...:confused: I have never experienced such hefty problems while using my favorite rFactor mods online, even when driving in large grids (40+ cars) or playing on far away foreign servers, like in the US (having a ping at ca. 180ms).

Are these common problems for I Racing? Because I don't think this meets the standard of today.

My opinion is that rFactor netcode is quite solid. iRacing netcode is still derived from GPL and has some similar characteristics (ghost contacts,catapult effects in lag hit etc.)

I'd rather have a another car in my cockpit in a lag situation than be launched to the stratosphere when driving 2m clear of the car that launches me there.

Only problems I've had in RF1/RF2 online is when people join with massive pings, then its their fault/connection and nothing to do with the actual netcode of the game. As far as I'm concerned that is the level Kunos need to get too as I said before, collision model is also an important area of online racing and thats where iRacing lets me down a little bit.

Aside from actual physics of the car/tires the netcode is probably the next hardest thing to get right.

I don't have too much experience with the netcode of rFactor, and I don't know how the netcode is in rFactor 2, is it improved much?

I remember rFactor 1 having a decent netcode.

iRacing's netcode surpassed it for me. With good pings, you could have extremely good online racing.

What struck me most is how realistic the other cars around you move in iRacing. I remember racing the Skip on VIR, and being able to see the suspension travel of the cars in front of you while hitting the bumps etc. That is something that really immersed my brain more, it felt closer to reality.

Remote cars need to move as natural as possible. That was one point of netKar Pro which was pretty far of from iRacing. I hope Kunos can address this.

The other important point is the fidelity of the netcode; the collision model needs to be good, and obviously it needs to handle players with a lesser ping or more spikes.

I'm really really curious to see how the netcode pan's out in AC. Does anyone have any info on the current state of the netcode in AC?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 106 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 81 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 54 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 112 13.4%