Cars The Need For Speed

Dodge Viper oddity. If you shift from first to second at a low RPM the transmission will dump you in fourth gear or rather it locks out every gear except 4th. This is mentioned at 7:34min into the video.

Not just a viper thing. More like a T56 thing. The Firebird, Camaro, GTO, and Vette all did the same thing. It is called "Skip Shift" and is a little solenoid then engages to block the use of 2nd and 3rd. It was done for fuel mileage and from what I recall it actually kinda worked. Many ditched it though as all you have to do is remove the solenoid and put in a plug for the hole.

Not just a viper thing. More like a T56 thing. The Firebird, Camaro, GTO, and Vette all did the same thing. It is called "Skip Shift" and is a little solenoid then engages to block the use of 2nd and 3rd. It was done for fuel mileage and from what I recall it actually kinda worked. Many ditched it though as all you have to do is remove the solenoid and put in a plug for the hole.

Ahhh very cool thanks for the info, I'd never heard of this in any car before.

I just read an article that indicates the 2014 Vette has the same feature, known as "computer assisted gear selection" or CAGS and for $7 bucks you can get rid of the feature, hahah.

So 90's... :cool:
Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_ks_black_cat_county_17-3-118-12-31-26.jpg

Not quite the same cars but this video came to mind!

The F40 in this video was driven by the owner, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd

I had no idea bout this, crazy !

They made three of those special edition 30th-anniversary Diablos, and one was a Jota, so it was a 600 brake car that was not really road legal, so there were only two. So I had mine in storage, and the guy goes to stick it on the car transporter, and then I got word that he'd just totalled this car, there it is [points to picture on screen], and we kind of had to have a purple one, because it was the purple, the cosmic, you know it's just one of those things. So we got the other one. And I said "look, wait until I get there, I'm flying in, just nobody drive it until I get there, please, we can't afford to smash it," so I came off the plane, and everybody looked really downtrodden, looking at the floor, and I went "Why are you looking so sad?", and they said "one of the precision drivers has knocked the camera off the cliff, and taken out the front windscreen, so there's no windscreen, Lamborghini can't send one for another day or so," so for most of the video, it had to be done with no windscreen, that's why you see me squinting, and actually trying to sing the song as well, while driving the mountain road.

— Jay Kay

Dodge Viper oddity. If you shift from first to second at a low RPM the transmission will dump you in fourth gear or rather it locks out every gear except 4th. This is mentioned at 7:34min into the video.

This is something seen on GM manuals too, it's to do with the emissions cycle and I believe is only when the engine isn't fully up to temperature or something along those lines.

It's naturally quite a common mod to remove this device, especially if people run a lower temp thermostat to make a little more power.

Edit: sorry I missed that the skip shift had already been covered! As a further interesting fact, although it's a T56 thing, GM didn't fit it to everything.

I have a Monaro over here in the UK (was badged as a Pontiac GTO for the US) which has an LS2 and the T56, but there's no skip shift at all, hence why I assumed it was emissions related.

Nice progress with the vette, cool to see it.

Teaser, teasers can't wait :D

Well, Viper's ready to go except for LODs so from what I've been testing so far it's all good. Will have to wait on the final physics revision to get it out though. The car handles as it's supposed to right now but with the last adjustments might change a bit.

So yeah, for now it's teasing time :coffee:

@Phoenix77 First time I've made it intact to the other side, so had to take the mandatory shot!

Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_pacific_coast_18-3-118-17-26-52.jpg
Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_pacific_coast_18-3-118-12-40-8.jpg
Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_pacific_coast_18-3-118-12-39-59.jpg

Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_krajiskazmija_18-3-118-11-53-30.jpg

Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_feldberg_18-3-118-10-20-9.jpg

Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_feldberg_18-3-118-10-16-43.jpg

Well, Viper's ready to go except for LODs so from what I've been testing so far it's all good. Will have to wait on the final physics revision to get it out though. The car handles as it's supposed to right now but with the last adjustments might change a bit.

So yeah, for now it's teasing time :coffee:

@Phoenix77 First time I've made it intact to the other side, so had to take the mandatory shot!

View attachment 241563 View attachment 241564 View attachment 241565
View attachment 241566
View attachment 241567
View attachment 241568

Nice shots out there :geek::geek: what's the track on first and fifth screenshot?

Not quite the same cars but this video came to mind!

The F40 in this video was driven by the owner, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd

I had no idea bout this, crazy !

They made three of those special edition 30th-anniversary Diablos, and one was a Jota, so it was a 600 brake car that was not really road legal, so there were only two. So I had mine in storage, and the guy goes to stick it on the car transporter, and then I got word that he'd just totalled this car, there it is [points to picture on screen], and we kind of had to have a purple one, because it was the purple, the cosmic, you know it's just one of those things. So we got the other one. And I said "look, wait until I get there, I'm flying in, just nobody drive it until I get there, please, we can't afford to smash it," so I came off the plane, and everybody looked really downtrodden, looking at the floor, and I went "Why are you looking so sad?", and they said "one of the precision drivers has knocked the camera off the cliff, and taken out the front windscreen, so there's no windscreen, Lamborghini can't send one for another day or so," so for most of the video, it had to be done with no windscreen, that's why you see me squinting, and actually trying to sing the song as well, while driving the mountain road.

— Jay Kay
Nick Mason is awesome. Not only am I a huge Floyd fan, but he has an awesome car collection, especially if you like older cars. Plus, he actually drives his cars. They don't just sit in his aircraft hanger turned garage. Imagine having dinner in London and seeing someone pull up front in his Ferrari 250 GTO. :confused: It usually runs at Goodwood, whether he or someone else is behind the wheel.
I'm lagging behind. I've almost finished the exterior, apart from the undercarrriage. Will probably move on to the interior for a change.
dgmwBQz.jpg

kPXPeWQ.jpg
Holy crap! That is looking freakin' awesome, Some1! Wow...I can't even tell you how super excited I am to run these cars against each other.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh Feldbergring. I can't wait to test the Viper there. Currently my thing is testing different cars at Feldberg, driving 4 or or more laps then switching to a different car.

View attachment 241441
Yeah, I am completely hooked on Feldbergring as well. It is so beautiful and it flows perfectly.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%